Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Back in my day, you couldn't check dogs out of the library.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by audreymonroe, May 13, 2012.

1. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

I started working at a young age so I never really had the stereotypical college experience. I worked full time and went at night. I got my associates from Palm Beach Community (yup, community college graduate here) then took off for a long time while I did other things. I just recently went back to Florida Atlantic University to finish off my bachelor's and it's not bad, but I only take 1-2 classes a semester.

2. gtg2k

gtg2k
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

As is evidenced by my avatar, I spent 5 glorious years at the University of Memphis, and am going back to finish my degree.

I started college as Vocal Performance major (on an Opera scholarship), but learned that you pretty much need to be a Piano minor, as well as really good/into Music Theory (at least at UofM) to be a Voice major. Throw in the fact that I really didn't fit in with the rest of the music crowd, and I dropped that major (and my scholarship) after my first year.

Since I was working 2 jobs my first year and hating life, I didn't socialize much on campus. That changed when I joined my fraternity, Kappa Alpha (KA). After joining KA, I met so many people (including quite a few ladies) that I wouldn't have met not being Greek. Unfortunately, I still had to work to pay for school and life, so I didn't dive into things as much as I would have liked, and ended up taking a 7+ year break when I thought I wanted to eventually own my own restaurant (boy was I dumb).

The things I disliked:

-The fact that Greek life is so small there. Out of 20,000+ students, maybe 1,000 are Greek, including all the PHC (Historically Black) chapters. The administration is VERY anti Greek-life, even though the most involved students were Greek.

-The bueracracy. I swear to God, the freaking red tape there is insane.

-Any on-campus housing was a glorious ghetto-fest, and those that were Caucasian were not welcomed in the dorms.

-Our football team at the beginning of my tenure there was AWFUL.

-No on-campus football or men's basketball.

The things I liked:

-You're in a metropolitan area, so there's always a ton to do.

-I had some pretty cool classes, and learned a good bit.

-The basketball team was awesome (and don't start with the "Calipari is crooked" shit. I know he is, but so is everyone else).

-When Deangelo Williams got here, football was pretty damn good. Not BCS worthy, but respectable for a mid-major, and that was enough for me.

-Since the Greek system was so small, it was like a college within a college, and I made a few close friendships from outside my fraternity, but within the Greek community.

3. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

I went to Queensland University of Tech and did Economics and E-Commerce.

Economics was great. The faculty there included one of the best teachers of anything I've ever worked with and the content was well delivered and generally excellent. Format, scheduling, everything was fantastic. I don't use much of that shit day to day - but the skills certainly help with my chosen career.

E-Commerce was brutal. I was an adult student coming in with several years practicing in the field as a technical person. I was hoping to dovetail that into some business skills - but despite being widely considered one of the top technology schools nationally - the program was fucking dog awful. Poorly presented, poorly scheduled, and wildly disconnected from the reality of the industry and technical validity. I have no idea how students in that program ever function in the real world. I spent more time teaching faculty about the topics they were presenting than actually learning and was failed on a couple of subjects when they had exam questions that had never been covered in the program or the provided/recommended texts, and the /correct/ answers were completely wrong. Had to go through all kinds of BS to prove that the exams were fucked to get my marks corrected.

On the upside, the business program at QUT had by far the hottest student body I've seen in any Australian university I've hung around. On the downside they shared space with the IT faculty that was a revenge of the nerds joke and despite their grads having a reputation in the industry made of gold and unicorn jizz, was almost entirely worthless.

I worked for that schools MBA program for a little while, their students weren't nearly as hot - but at least their e-commerce stuff and technology based business programs were grounded in reality.

Greek program doesn't exist here. Social clubs (society for the appreciation of the Italian Renaissance or whatever) are more common. I was in the society for the appreciation of beer and the rock climbing club for a while. They were fun - but I generally found the best social avenues were just to hang out in the general spaces and that most people were pretty friendly/easy to chill with. Most people just expanded social networks through class mates/tutorial partners and the randoms from the commons and it was generally chilled. I was also doing mostly evening classes with other people who had full time jobs and studied around work - so might have tainted my experience a little. Most of the day students I know who went to that school were IT dweebs who couldn't make friends with non geeks, with a fist full of cash and a pocket full of candy.