Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Audio / Visual Gear

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by Nettdata, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

2. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Few weeks ago, Oculus rift finally set dates for release. Pre-orders start in later 2015 with deliver in Q1 2016 I believe. Today min system specs were released. Intel 4590(or AMD equivalent), 8gb of ram, or GTX 970 or R290, other min requirements are win7 sp1 or higher, hdmi 1.3, 2x usb 3.0.

3. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As much as I love Mcintosh equipment, with the constant advancement in home theater standards I am not sure I would ever buy a McIntosh processor as they are just too damn expensive and as you point out, can go out of date almost before you install them. On the other hand, you can never go wrong getting McIntosh power amps, They live forever, retain their value and only double your electric bill. My question is do you have to wait very long for the Mc2301s to warm up before playing any music?

4. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

To be honest with you, I don't know yet. All of this new stuff I'm buying is going into the home theater we're putting in our new house that's being built right now, so it's just taking up space in my office and a couple of storage units we use for the bar.

I agree with you on the McIntosh processors, I'm definitely leaning hard toward the SP3.

Oh, and I was offered a deal on the Gotham subs that I just couldn't refuse so I pulled the trigger, and now a pair of those babies are headed toward me.

5. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So my wife and I went to a party last weekend on Cape Cod that was held for members of one of the A/V forums I frequent and holy shit was there a lot of expensive gear there. All told there was between five and six million dollars worth of gear in this gentleman's house.

Here are a few pictures, sorry for the crappy cell phone quality…

IMG_0406.jpg IMG_0412.jpg IMG_0413.jpg IMG_0414.jpg

Edit: Just a FYI, the turntable in this post is $100k. Thats right, $100k for just the table. The tonearms are each $25k, and one cartridge is $15k while the other is $30k. The entire setup in that pic is valued a little over $400k. It's fucking insane.

#125 Now Slappy, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  6. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And a few more…

IMG_0409.jpg IMG_0410.JPG IMG_0408.jpg

7. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And finally, my rental car for the weekend…

IMG_0423.jpg

8. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In response to a rep, in the second and third pic, that was referred to as the wall of Mac. I'll try to post a better picture so you can get a better idea of how ridiculous this wall of gear is.

Mac Wall.jpg

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

So, my Logitech Harmony remote control is starting to get all fucky... I think it's on its last legs.

I went to Logitech's site and found out that they no longer make any remote controls. Fuckers... become really good in a highly niche market, then bail.

Anyway...

Does anyone have a suggestion for a reasonable smart remote? I've got a TV, an Apple TV, and a speaker system... nothing fancy.

10. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wife informed me today that she would like wireless multiroom speakers in order to listen to music throughout the house. I did a cursory Google search and I have no fucking idea what I'm looking at.

It doesn't need to be concert quality, it just needs to be something that doesn't sound tinny/shitty, doesn't randomly drop speakers or need passwords reentered at random, and isn't tied to only one service, i.e., Amazon, Apple play, etc.

As far as I can tell, maybe Sonos, but I have no fucking idea what I'd need.

Also, I am anti Amazon Alexis or other voice activated microphones in my home, so whatvdo I need to avoid?

Help me please

#130 AFHokie, Nov 25, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2023
  11. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

To the best of my knowledge, nobody does customizable, high quality multi-room audio as well as Sonos.

I think that their only non-"smart" speakers are the OneSL and the Five. The OneSL is small, so you might need a pair of them for bigger rooms (or if you want immersive stereo). The Five is a big hi-fi speaker. Expensive, but very nice. They also have a very good sound bars - the Ray is their non-"smart" bar.

My dad, after a career in IT, is allergic to tech gear that's finicky. He and my step-mom (who doesn't understand tech in the slightest) are very happy with their Sonos setup.

The biggest downside is you are buying into the Sonos ecosystem. These are not generic speakers, so if Sonos goes out of business or they stop supporting something, it's possible that your speakers will become paperweights. They've been around for a while, though.

12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Anyone have recommendations for decent/comfortable wireless gaming headphones? Guess they don't have to be gaming-specific, but that's their main use. My SteelSeries Arctis 7 ones just decided to stop charging. For the price, I was never super happy with those.