Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Audio / Visual Gear

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by Nettdata, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Truth be told though, I got a great deal on the speakers. The Futuras I got used with less than 200 hours on them for less than half their retail price, and the Homage Vox I got from a high end stereo store owner who had it in his personal set up(between a pair of Sonus Faber Aida's) for less than six months.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Beauty Spa gift certificates are a great way to smuggle shit into the house. Just saying.

3. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes, that's the gospel truth. Shiny stones and precious metals don't hurt either. (We upgraded her diamond in her wedding ring this summer, so I have a little bit of leeway.)

4. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just added a pair of these to push the new speakers.

Attached Files:

5. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wow! I bet Justin Bieber sounds awesome on those!

6. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hardy-har-har. I don't listen to the Beibs, and my 9 and 10 year old have even out grown him. But Nickleback is gonna ROCK that room.

All joking aside, those mono blocks I posted are the MC 2301 tube amp coming in around 145lbs a piece with the upgraded Gold Lyon tubes. Thank god I didn't have to pay for the shipping from Hawaii.

7. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

With a big enough TV, I bet it's like Brittany is standing right in front of you, in her schoolgirl outfit, actually asking you to hit her one more time.

The geek part of me loves the high end audiophile gear.

Realistically, I know I don't hear enough of a difference and am not into it enough to justify anything outlandish. But it sure is beautiful.

Your budget for this room must not be too far from what I paid for my first house.

8. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When it's all said and done, this room will be right on par with what I paid for the house we're in currently. That being said, this will be the last house I'll live in until my daughters send me off to the home.

I figured you only live once, so why not enjoy it?

Oh, and BTW, that screen will be somewhere in the 130" to 150" range…so yeah, Britney is gonna be large and in charge.

9. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nice, going for a 4K or 1080P projector?

10. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm leaning toward one of the Sony 4k's. There's a place down here with the Sony 1100ES projector on display shooting to a 150" Stewart screen that has a better picture than some of the 4k LCD's that I've seen, but I'm not sure I can justify the 27K price tag. I've also seen the Sony 600ES and it is just as impressive and a sticker price only around 14K (only…yeah right.) We break ground in about two weeks so I'm hoping prices will have dropped and some more options will have hit the market by the time I have to decide. The Sony's look great, but I've never had any luck with Sony products, from the original Walkman to present day. I'm hoping JVC or Epson or one of the other major players puts out a projector that can compete with Sony, but for right now they're the only real game in town.

11. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sorry to double post yet again, but I think only like 4 or 5 of us pay any attention to this thread.

Anyway, I just picked one of these up on the used market. It's a McIntosh MC452 amp. Just one of the four that I'll eventually need for this home theater.

Spoilered for size.

Attached Files:

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm sure quite a few of us pay attention to this thread, just very few of us have stuff to contribute.

Unlike you, you lucky bastard you.

13. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Luck, as you well know my friend, has nothing to do with it. The little benefit I'm reaping now comes after almost three decades of nothing but hard work.

Let that be a lesson to all you kids out there.

Now, get off my lawn.

14. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And your nice bronco if I remember correctly.

15. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, it sure was nice, but I had to sell it and put that money toward the house. Sacrifice one to gain the other.

Not to mention, if I had kept the Bronco and we couldn't afford the house my wife would have shot me and left me for dead.

The irony is that there is a good chance we may never even live in this new house. The housing market for sellers is so good right now that cash buyers are swooping in when these new homes are about 3/4 done and buying them up for more than double what was put into them.

16. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Looking into buying a GoPro for when I go on this six-week music festival journey in May to June. Have no idea where to start in terms of what I'd need.

Looking to spend less than $500 total for camera and necessary equipment/storage. Any help is greatly appreciated.

17. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be a big help here, but I own one and it's great. I bought it last summer to be able to film my kids while we were on vacation. I think I spent about $300 on the camera, but I didn't buy any of the other BS accessories.

Very happy with it. It takes great movies. I guess the only negative is you don't really know what you're filming while you're filming it.

18. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you don't need 4k video or 120 fps slow motion, the Hero4 Silver is available for $350:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/GoPro-HERO4-Sil ... 1475513064

19. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And, the new Hero4 Silver does have a display screen.

20. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's been a while since I posted in this thread, so I thought I'd give you guys an update. I just picked up another two MC452's for surround duties bringing the total to three. I think I'm going to stop there because I'm not convinced Dolby Atmos(or DTS's counterpart) is going to be worth the expense. So, as it stands now, my setup will end up being a 9.2 system. (Really a 7.2, but instead of 2 surround rears there will be 4.)

I also picked up a McIntosh MC601 for the center channel so I think I'm done with amps.

For those of you keeping score at home that's two MC2301's, one MC601, and three MC452's.

I'm now leaning toward the Bryston SP3 as the processor. It has better DAC's than the McIntosh MX151 and is almost $3500.00 cheaper. I think I'll take the money I save there and put it toward a pair of JL Audio Gotham subwoofers instead of the JL F212's I had originally planed to buy.