Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Audio / Visual Gear

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by Nettdata, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You might want to check out Oppo Digital blu-ray/dvd players. They might be a little pricey for what you're looking for but their quality is top notch. I currently own the BDP-83 and couldn't be happier with it.

2. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anything wireless is always going to have a lesser signal compared to wired. Whether or not you're going to notice it is like Net said, how much of a fidelity snob you are.

Where you live can often affect this more than anything, if you're in a big city (especially somewhere like NYC or LA) you're more often than not going to get a range of interference issues. If you're in the burbs, probably less so. Check the return policy definitely and just try them out at your house, it's the only way to see what the reception is like in the area you'll be listening.

3. hotwheelz

hotwheelz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have a Sony DCR-HC52 and I'm trying to get video from it to my computer. I bought this cable for it, but we can't figure out where it goes. Sony says I need another cable, but I'm skeptical. Help?

4. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

P.70: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.docs.sony.com/release/DCRHC52.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.docs.sony.com/release/DCRHC52.pdf</a>

Looks like it plugs in on the lower right when you have the LCD screen open.

That appears to be the right cable, but I'm not sure. The manual calls it a mini B USB and so does your link.

5. hotwheelz

hotwheelz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It doesn't have one, some more searching I found this.

Fucking false advertising.

6. tempest

tempest
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm planning on buying a new TV this holiday season and I'm trying to decide what to get.

I've been to the local big box stores and asked some questions, but the answers are always different. Plus, having worked retail myself I know how full of shit most salespeople are.

I've also read cnet's TV buying guide (<a class="postlink" href="http://reviews.cnet.com/tv-buying-guide/?tag=contentMain;contentBody;pm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://reviews.cnet.com/tv-buying-guide ... entBody;pm</a>) .

So, I'm leaning towards an LCD around 46" or larger. We typically sit between 10 and 14 feet from the TV and I really don't need anything huge. I don't game or watch a whole lot of sports, so the TV will be for general TV and Movie watching. It will be paired with a blueray player and probably a computer so I can watch all the movies I have on my HD.

I'm looking for some more detailed info, like what specs really matter and which don't. If LED is really worth the money. Which manufacturer is really superior, etc. And especially which models seem to be the best.

Money is a little tight, so I'd like to keep the price around $600-$900.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

7. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here's what I sent to Mya via PM when she was looking for TV's.

Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday, but with NFL Sunday and owning a sports bar I don't know what I was thinking. As far as your TV goes French Fry made good points. Samsung and Panasonic are probably the best TV's you will find quality wise, but you're going to pay a premium for them. If you want to go plasma I would stick with Panasonic as they still have the best black levels in the business, but if you are looking at LCD/LED backlit I would go with the Samsung. I have two Samsungs in my house now out of the three TV's we have at home. The third is a Mitsubishi 75" laser view, but I'm guessing you don't need or want to go that big. For what it's worth it is a great TV, but I digress.

Of the two Samsungs I have, one is a 40" and the other is a 46", and I couldn't be happier with them both. Great TV's and internet capable if I so choose. I currently have a computer hooked up to the 40" in the bedroom that my in-laws occupy while they're here, and they love it.

Another option you might want to look into is LG. We just replaced 20 TV's in the bar about two months ago and went with all LG's. You get a little more bang for your buck especially if you're not a video/audiophile. The ones we bought ranged in size from 32" to 55", and I think the 55" one came out to be around $1300.00 (give or take) which is a great price for that size.

One thing I would like to add is if you are sitting that far away from the TV you might want to go bigger than 46". Our viewing distance from our 75" is about 15 feet.

8. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone know where to find HDTV's of unorthodox sizes?

I want to get a new one for my parents, but they refuse to get rid of the bureau housing their current television. 26" is a bit small for the living room, but a 32" TV won't fit in the bureau. I've only been able to find this 27" so far.

If anyone knows of any decent TV's from 28"-31", I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

9. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone picked up any new toys?

10. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Since, unlike you, I don't have enough space to put a projector in my house I had to settle for putting one in the bar. It's a Sanyo 4500 lumen projector shooting onto a 120" Supernova Core screen. We have a lot of ambient light and this thing still blows people away.

11. Slivers

Slivers
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

This seems like it may be the right thread, but I may be wrong. Now that summers around and I have some spare time I was considering picking up a video camera, just to have some side projects and little things to do for fun here and there.

I was doing some research online and I read somewhere that video cameras are almost in a sense useless now, as regular cameras can essentially record at the same quality and you have the feature of taking pictures as well. Is there any truth to this?

I'm not completely opposed to it, as I think photography could be pretty fun too, but I'm just trying to map out a gameplan for cost for quality. I'm pretty new to this besides a class I took a couple years back, is there anything in particular I should stay away from or make sure a model has? Anyone savvy enough to make recommendations of brands or specific models? I'm looking particularly in the 300-400$ range, so nothing too high tech, but not the cheapest on the market either.

12. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Video cameras are definitely not useless if you're only after video.

However, if you want a camera to shoot stills with, the DSLRs out on the market now are getting to be more and more competent video shooters.

Like with anything purpose-specific, there are advantages in a video camera - the ergonomics are built for shooting video. The buttons, layout, LCD, all designed to provide the optimal experience while recording. DSLRs do not do that. The quality coming out of the new generation of DSLRs is fantastic, but they are still designed to shoot stills, so your layout follows that.

The fact is that most people don't want a racecar. They want a fast sedan so they can haul their groceries and hit the track on weekends. So just evaluate if you're at all interested in photo-taking capabilities - and if so, a low-end DSLR is probably your best bet. If all you want is to shoot video, though, the DSLR is probably a compromise.

13. Arctic_Scrap

Arctic_Scrap
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What is a decent, small marine amp that I can hook an Ipod or Iphone to directly? I am just looking to power two 6.5" speakers. It will be going on an ATV.

14. 6PPC

6PPC
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I have a bunch of TV Shows & Movies on DVD's/Blu-Ray that I watch frequently. I'm getting tired of searching for the correct DVD to find a particular Season/Episode, etc.

1. Is it legal for me to make digital copies of my DVD for my own personal use?
    2. Assuming it's OK, what is the best software to use?

I want to build a large, multi-tera byte video server to store all of the movies.

Thank you for any help / guidance.

15. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't answer your question directly, but here is a link to a forum I use when I have A/V questions.

<a class="postlink" href="http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/home-theater-pc-htpc-media-servers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/ho ... a-servers/</a>

16. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hopefully someone on here has a Tivo and can help me out with this. I had an old DVR for about five years. It had dual band recording. Now with my TV and picture in picture, I could have them connected through the antenna coaxial and HDMI. So I could play my PS3 and have cable TV coming in through the PIP. Now I can't seem to get that to happen. I'm not sure if it is the Tivo or there are settings I'm missing.

17. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm putting a home theater in to the new house my wife and I are building and I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with the new Dolby Atmos codec? The reason I'm wondering is because I want to know if it will be worth putting in the four ceiling speakers for that feeling of hight. For what it's worth I will be installing a 7.2 system. Just wondering if this new codec makes it worth it for me to jump to the 7.2.4 set up.

18. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just picked up some new speakers for the home theater we're going to put in the new house…

Sonus Faber Amati Futuras…

Sonus Faber Homage Vox (Center channel)…

Attached Files:

19. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yowza. Your budget for sound equipment is clearly far, far larger than my own.

Are you strictly running the stereo pair + center channel? Or are you putting in surround as well?

20. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I will be putting in surround as well. 2 surround channels and 2 surround rear channels for sure, as well as wiring for Dolby Atmos(jury is still out on whether or not I'm going to bother with this). I'll also be adding two subs to the mix, right now I'm torn between 2 JL Audio Fathom f212's or 2 Seaton Submersives. I'm going to set it up so the system can perform as both a traditional home theater and a two channel listening room. The home theater is the priority though so the two channel experience may suffer a little due to some of the sound proofing that will be going into the room. I'm hoping to power the front sound stage with all McIntosh amps and hopefully a McIntosh MX151 processor. I may go with a different processor though, because the codecs change so rapidly. Much like computers, these things are outdated before you plug them in.

When my wife starts to get a whiff of what is going to go into this room I may just be a dead man walking anyway.