Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Audio / Visual Gear

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by Nettdata, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Primer

Primer
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yep. What is basically happening is the white or the yellow is going to the tip or the ring the 3.5mm connector (called a TSR connector). It has three parts to the connector; the tip, ring and sleeve - in this instance, it's just the tip and ring as it's mono sound and video. Yellow (for video) and white (for sound, left side stereo), which are called RCA connectors, are going to either the tip or the ring of the TSR connector.

Here's a shitty diagram I found on the web, ignore the right side of the picture:

[​IMG]

Nettdata is entirely correct, you should be able to use a generic TSR connector if the manufacture isn't a shitbag and has made their own spec of TSR connector. Trouble is finding one that will match your old one, see if you can pull up a spec on it (IE: TSR connector length) although the one you're looking for will have just the Tip and ring on it (some TSR connectors have multiple rings; IE: TRRS, Tip ring ring sleeve). The next part would be figuring out which of the RCA connectors on the other end of the cable go to what as it's likely that the generic one (usually red and white RCA ends) you'll buy isn't color code matched to the specifics of the camera. If I was a betting man, I would say the Red RCA is going to be video and the white is going to be your sound.

For the record, you can easily make these connectors with an old RCA cable, a TSR end and some solder - would cost about three bucks and twenty minutes of your time.

2. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Can anyone speak to the quality of FIOS? I'm interested in the phone, television and internet; but my main concern is High Def. I heard they're supposed to be the best, but I don't understand how 1080i on FIOS could look any different than 1080i on another provider. I know very little about this though, so it's entirely possible that I'm off base. I'm going to be moving into my own place soon because I'm tired of listening to people fucking/playing music/running on the floor above me/screaming at 3am on a Tuesday in the dorms. If not FIOS, what would you say the best cable provider is?

Basically, is it worth the higher bill?

3. Primer

Primer
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There is a big difference between 1080i on standard cable and 1080i on most FIOS like systems (or any fiber fed TV systems). Generally, you'll find most companies with cable or IPTV are transmitting their signals in a MPEG2 format. MPEG-2 uses the same resolution as what DVDs have.

FIOS and the next generation IPTV are now using MPEG-4 - which equates to roughly what Blu-ray video. You can read about the H.264 format here, which is the video compression format that MPEG-4 uses, if it really interests you (H.264 also allows for 7.1 surround sound).

I've installed systems using the MPEG-4 format and it looks fucking awesome, better than some satellite systems. There is a noticeable difference between MPEG-2 and MPEG-4, even though the resolution is using 1080i. So, if you have a TV that is capable of the H.264 standard (IE: 1080p, 120+ Hz) and prefer watching Blu-rays over DVDs, then yes, it will be worth the extra money.

I cannot say on the other providers in your area or if in fact whoever is providing your FIOS connection (Verizon?) actually transmit in MPEG-4. It should be something you ask when you talk to them if that is a concern of yours.

4. aotke1110

aotke1110
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I bought a Samsung theater in a box setup about a month or so ago. I enjoy most everything about it, except for the center channel speaker. It's a little lacking, tends to rattle/make that noise when you have a cheap speaker and the volume is too high.

What would you guys suggest for a decent replacement? I just want to upgrade the center channel as the tower, surround sound, and sub woofer I'm happy with. The main reason I bought the setup is the receiver came with a blue ray player, is setup for netflix streaming, and the rear speaker are wireless. But the center channel is definitely lacking and is starting to wear on me.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, I probably won't want to spend much over $200...if that prices me out of anything that will be an upgrade then I guess I'll just deal. The link to the system I have is below, though I only spent $600 on it.

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/...2T/XAA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=spec

5. aotke1110

aotke1110
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Well just in case anyone has a similar problem. I upgraded the center channel to a Polk CS110. It sounds 10 times better, I couldn't be happier. I was scared that the receiver that came with the HTIB wouldn't be able to power it or they somehow wouldn't be compatible. But so far, so good.

6. snobes

snobes
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Audio recording

I'm looking to get some audio recording stuff. A lapel mic and pack that would record digital to like somthing with a usb so I can edit it in Adobe Audition. My options now are having the speeker carry around a mic and a tape recorder. Me not want.

Or if there's something out there cheep(free) in audio editing to burn to cd other than Adobe, so I wouldn't have to edit at work, would rock.

Many thanks

7. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I need a new pair of headphones. Requirements:

-They should be fairly loud. I have a shit ton of long ass flights coming up next month. I'd like to have headphones that will allow me to clearly hear audio from my laptop over the noise the engine is making. I've had issues with standard ear buds in the past. I've had pairs that allow me to hear music, but never anything that will clearly allow me to hear audio from movies.
    -They should be available on Amazon.com
    -They should be less than $110 (I have a gift card with that much money left on it).

8. Obviously5Believer

Obviously5Believer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Headphones and earbuds are two different things. Earbuds mostly suck for noise blocking, unless they are the kind that completely seal off the ear, which blocks lots of noise but can be problematic depending on how your ear is shaped. Also a little more info on your preferences would be helpful. Do you care how they look? Do you want clip ons, ear buds, phones that rest on your ear or phones that completely cover it? How big can they be?

For my money, a closed back headphone that covers the ear is the best for comfort, sound, and value. I wouldn't get earbuds unless I was planning on using them exclusively in a mobile setting. There are lots and lots of different options in your price range.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/Shure-Professional-Studio-Headphones-Black/dp/B002DP1FTU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272930934&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.amazon.com/Shure-Professiona ... 934&sr=8-1</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Studio-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000ULAP4U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272931063&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT ... 063&sr=1-1</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V6-Monitor-Headphones-Voice/dp/B00001WRSJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272931382&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V6-Monit ... 382&sr=1-1</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/HARMAN-K81DJ-Closed-Back-Folding-Headphone/dp/B000BDD56W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272931484&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.amazon.com/HARMAN-K81DJ-Clos ... 484&sr=1-1</a>

The first three are made for a studio setting so they are designed to block lots of noise and have a very neutral presentation, meaning their frequency response is almost flat. Bass, mids, and highs will be presented equally. If you listen to a lot of poorly mastered music (modern rock and pop comes to mind), this might be a bad thing because technical flaws in the production will be presented accurately.

The K81's are very tight fitting so if you have a big head like me, steer clear. They are much more bass heavy so if you like rap, hip hop, or metal they might work better.

There are lots more options but any one of these will sound loads better than the skull candy/noise canceling bullshit that most people are familiar with. To me, audio quality is huge. You might think differently and choose to go with a noise canceling set that will block a lot of noise but sound dull and lifeless to my ears.

If it were me I'd probably go with the Shures or Sonys. Cheap, simple, sturdy, and isolating. Get a pair and try them out, return them if you don't like them and try a different pair.

9. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The MDR V6's are shit compared to the MDR 7506's. World of difference. The V-6's just sound muffled in comparison.

Low range AKG's are absolutely awful. I've had the unpleasure of being forced to use them a few times. I've never had an opportunity to try any of AKG's pricier offerings, but I avoid the cheap ones like the plague.

I've never used those Shure headphones. I wouldn't recommend getting sucked into the whole Bose line of headphones unless you've tried them before and REALLY like them. Sure, they make things sound pretty but they're a bit expensive for what they offer.

That being said, your best bet for price and quality is the 7506's. Really quality headphones. The only thing that bugs me is the cord. It's got one of the slinky cords, and I've been dying to find a pair that has a straight cord. I just plug the end into a straight cord extender thinger and go with it. Granted, these sit next to my computer so I don't have to move a lot, I'm not sure what your situation is.

10. Primer

Primer
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've got a pair of Shure SRH840 studio headphones and I love them. I need a lot of bass response because I'm also plugging into my bass amp to practice at the wee hours. They push a lot of super low frequencies through and handle the high end stuff really well, tones come through super crisp and I can't turn them up to 11, not because they cannot handle those levels but because I can't handle how loud they get.

I would get another pair in a minute if these ones broke. Plus, they're not going to break the bank.

11. Obviously5Believer

Obviously5Believer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I forgot about those and was mistaking the V6's for them but you are correct. In fact they are professional quality and used by sound engineers, studio techs, boom mike operators, etc. all the time. They are probably the best choice for high quality (but very neutral) sound and noise blocking at that price.

12. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So I'm trying to get the center channel speaker going in my parent's family room. Originally, all 5.1 channels were attached, but the TV was moved to the other side of the room and the center channel was disconnected as there wasn't a place for it. Well, now I figured a place for it to go, thing is I have no idea how the techs from the stereo shop set it up. It looks like they put little caps on where the normal inputs would go (which I'm not sure how to get off) and then put the wires through them. Each speaker has two cables on it, and I can clearly see the copper sticking out of the ends at the hookup on the stereo system. I took a shitty picture of it, but you can pretty much see what I'm talking about.

What I need to know is 1. What the hell these are and 2. Where can I get a cable that will work with this/ do I even need it and can I rip them off and just use another sort of cable?

Attached Files:

13. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think those "caps" are actually 5-way binding posts on the back of the stereo (if by "caps" you're talking about the pieces that connect on the back of the stereo and not something on the speaker wires). The plastic pieces unscrew and there's a hole drilled through the post in the middle where you insert the bare wire, and then tighten down the plastic caps.

All you need is a positive and negative connection to the appropriate posts on the back of the stereo. Don't complicate it. Look for a way to make metal-to-metal contact on the binding posts on the back of the stereo. If something is capping the end of the wires, cut it off and strip the wire.

14. Primer

Primer
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone have a good program that streams music to a PS3 from my PC? I'm using this Java PS3 Mediaserver but the music always skips and it's pretty annoying. I don't think it's internal network issues as I can stream movies just fine to my PS3.

15. Gramercy

Gramercy
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm moving in with the girlfriend and we're going to get a TV. Both of us have 27 inch tube TV's so we definitely need to upgrade. I've heard that Samsung makes the best LCD TV, but they're also pretty expensive. I think I want something in the 46-50 inch range, and it seems like the off brands, Insignia, some others, can be 30% cheaper. Is there a huge difference in different brands? Since we're going from old tube TV's do you still think it's worth spending $1,300 on a TV, or if there's an off brand for almost half the price, is that sufficient?

16. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you plan on keeping the TV for a while stick with Samsung. I have a 65" Panasonic Plasma for our main TV(which is great BTW), but went with a 46" Samsung LED LCD for our bedroom and couldn't be happier. As a matter of fact my wife and I just re-did the kids playroom and converted it into another bedroom. We like the Samsung so much that we replaced the TV we had in there with the 40" version of the LED LCD we have in the bedroom. Once again, we couldn't be happier with our decision.

On another note, the LED LCD's are so light that you can hang them by yourself. I hung both the 46" and the 40" by myself in under 1/2 an hour. The only reason it took that long is that you have to be very careful not to crack the panels or else they're automatically trash.

17. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm looking for a CD player/head unit for my car.

Requirement is primarily good Bluetooth connectivity, mostly for streaming music but I want to be able to answer calls in a pinch too.

I freakin' hate most head units. I don't understand why they're designed with so many tiny fiddly buttons and small displays. The best head unit I ever owned was a Blaupunkt Alaska:

[​IMG]

It was simple, intuitive, dim enough to not blind you but bright enough to use, and it just plain worked well.

Thoughts?

I have looked at the Alpine CDE-103BT but it seems to have a substantial software bug that frequently causes the Bluetooth to stop responding until you dig around in the menus. The Pioneer DEH-P6200BT looks fairly nice. The Kenwood KDC-BT645U looks good, too. Thoughts?

18. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am having huge problems with my TV. I have an older LCD from 2004. (Sony grandwega) Currently I am pulling my hair out because it looks like the picture is "bleeding." There is a bright blue discoloration and little blue dots all over the screen.

For the majority of the time you can not see it, unless the picture is dark. I've been told it can cost almost $800 to fix! I think I would rather do that than buy a new television. If I get a new one I want the LED TV, and they run about 2k, I'm not getting a Samsung.

Does anyone really know what the problem on my TV is? If it's fixed does it stay fixed?

Let me know.

19. Arctic_Scrap

Arctic_Scrap
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just bought a Vizio 42" 1080p lcd tv. I got it used but it was only 2 weeks old when I bought it. I'm having a problem with the sound. I can hear a low buzzing noise. It doesn't go up with volume and is there whether I'm watching TV or using my Xbox 360. It's really not that noticeable but I do hear it and it bothers me. It didn't do it at the guys house where I bought it. I am thinking it may be something with the power grid in my house since the house is old as shit, however my friends smaller and older flat screen tv does not have a buzzing problem. I do have the noise reduction set all the way up. Any ideas on how to get rid of it?

20. Gramercy

Gramercy
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Looking for a cheap pair of wireless headphones that I can use on my TV. Any recommendations?

There are a ton of options on amazon; it's pretty overwhelming.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wireless+headphones&x=0&y=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... es&x=0&y=0</a>