Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Asians? In my library? It's more likely than you think.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrFrylock, Mar 25, 2011.

1. misnomer

misnomer
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

For me, it seems like if I drive past a car that's just done something stupid and I see the driver is Asian, I somehow feel justified to be more pissed off than normal. On finding out the person is Asian, I would think, "A ha! I fucking knew he was Asian! Hey asshole, this isn't fucking Phuket!". Then I'd calm down 5 seconds later and realise that was just dumb and racist. And then promptly pretend it never happened.

2. jrussellmikkelsen

jrussellmikkelsen
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Did you really just have a several post long argument with yourself... wait... you're not the same person??!!

GET A *&@^%ING AVATAR ALREADY!

3. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In the absence of anything else to go on, (when you first meet someone) stereotypes are actually quite valuable to go on. (And occasionally, even racial ones) Obviously, once you get to know a person, you can throw them out as need be, but shocker of shockers, using general information to make inferences in the absence of anything else is not blatantly evil or wrong.

In fact, it's pretty much the same thing your doctor does in an initial diagnosis, if you think about it. (And the prejudiced bastard uses things like your height, weight, age, physical appearance, and yes, even race to help him sometimes)

4. captainjackass

captainjackass
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Yeah, I saw this on Reddit whenever week it came out.

I was prepared to see an appalling and extremely racist rant, judging by all the over-the-top reactions I'd see about it.

The video was.... meh. Not particularly noteworthy for any reason, really. I mean, she says she has asian friends that she likes, but she is upset about a few loud Asian FOBs in the library. Then she makes a ching-chong joke. I mean shit, there's probably more racist jokes on this board every day, and no one really gives a shit.

I think the only people blowing this out of proportion are the large asian population at the school and a collection of aging hippie liberal douches. [​IMG]

Oh, and concerning asian drivers? Well, in all fairness, in many asian countries, the general population doesn't learn to drive/ has no need to learn to drive. Quite often, a 40 year old asian man that has just moved to this country may have 2 or 3 years of driving experience. He may not be a bad driver based on his experience, he just has less of it. Also, the idea that one must respect your elders and get out of their way does not translate well to the road. Just sayin'.

5. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't think that's the true reason; my parents immigrated to the US having never driven before in their lives, and they were 34 and 36 at the time. They picked it up very quickly and were safe drivers that have never been in any accidents. (Unlike their son...)

Many Asians that grew up in the US from an early age are horrific drivers, too. I don't know the reason why, frankly, but it's not for the reason above.

6. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Asians ARE bad drivers. It's a universal. I've driven in Asian country’s before and was glad I packed the brown undies, that shit was just plain scary.

Furthermore just about every time I see something truly retarded happen on the road the driver is Asian or fucking old. I don’t care why it happens, I just know it does. Also my asian friends freely admit to being bad drivers when teased about it, they are also both chicks, so there's that as well.

7. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What's far scarier is actually being in the car driven BY an Asian. When I was younger, I got a ride from a friend's parent who had his right turn single turned on...for an entire hour straight...on the freeway. Neither that or the constant honking seemed to bother him as he happily chatted away with us.

Another time, I was with a very rich Asian friend who was driving his giant, pimped-out Escalade at a mere 125 mph at night in Los Angeles. He also wasn't concerned by this, as he swayed his head back and forth to the rap music. Needless to say, there were times where I felt like throwing up, and not just from the vodka.

In fact, I'm kind of surprised that Alexandra Wallace didn't work shitty Asian driving into her rant.

8. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The problem isn't stereotypes, it's people who don't know how to use them properly.

I lived in a Domincan neighborhood for a while, and at restaurants and stores, the workers always talked to the hispanic looking people in Spanish, and talked to me in English. Hispanic people speak Spanish, and white people speak English, 100% stereotype, but also very accurate and highly useful.

The problem is the idiots who then think that hispanic people can't speak English, white people shouldn't speak Spanish, and that all the spicks must know each other and are trying to turn NYC into a colony for La Raza.

Unfortunately, too many people don't have the ability to comprehend the concept of "it is likely that..."