Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Asians? In my library? It's more likely than you think.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrFrylock, Mar 25, 2011.

1. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Students have held famous protests, UCLA as an institution have not.

2. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

From what I gathered from the article on the school's decision not to suspend/expel her, while they cannot punish free speech, they do have the ability to punish hate speech. In this case, they felt that her words didn't cross that line.

Obviously the girl is a fucking moron for posting something like this publicly, but anyone taking the pro-PC angle on this while supporting her suspension/expulsion is missing the point. The fact that she's now had to withdraw from school in response to physical threats accomplishes nothing productive. The only thing she, and anyone else harboring ignorant beliefs, has learned is that they shouldn't publicly express those views. What should be a chance to constructively address these issues is being hijacked by the internet lynch mob and is wasting that opportunity.

3. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

So which is it then? Are students considered "part of the institution" or are they a separate body by which their actions are judged?

I'm not defending her actions, but a suspension is wrong. A public condemnation from the schools Asian American Cultural Center or equivalent body would be more appropriate.

4. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll go out on a limb and agree with the girl.

At NYU the freaking Asians in the library, God damn. We would have people come into the library, set up camp at the best tables, chain their laptop to the desk, and then leave for 4+ hours. Not cool. They also tend to be less concerned about throwing away their trash or respecting other people's space.

If you're erasing stuff and get those little black eraser squigglies everywhere, you can brush them onto the floor. Totally cool, that's where they go. But do not fucking brush them straight across the table and onto my side. What the fuck dude?

I don't really think it's all that far out there to suggest that maybe people from different nations and cultures might have different ideas about manners. People from a country that puts the focus on serving the collective (your family, your company, or your country) isn't going to have as much respect for individuals.

5. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Replace UCLA in the video with any Fortune 100. Any company would rightly discipline her. My thoughts on the issue are UCLA is no different to a company. If I were the Dean she gets suspended right after I deal with that damned Delta house.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Pretty well sums up Religion, too.

[​IMG]

7. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That analogy would work if she were a professor, not a student.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The thing is, just about every code of conduct has some sort of elastic clause that is based on the whim (I mean "interpretation") of those applying it.

In the military, it's "Conduct Unbecoming". I'm sure the student handbook has some such thing as well.

Personally, I don't think she should be suspended, as it's her right to think and say whatever the fuck she wants. That being said, there are also repercussions to what she said, which seems to be the 2nd part of "freedom of speech" that a lot of people seem to miss.

Now everybody knows what she's really like, and are ridiculing her appropriately.

I heard she's already dropped out because of the shit storm around this anyway, and has received death threats. Personally, I don't put much stock in the seriousness of the threats, as there are always some loonie tunes types that will say that shit to anyone in the public eye, but I have no doubt that she's just isolated herself from just about any social circles she used to enjoy.

She has brought more than enough shit upon herself, and I don't think any "official" sanctions are warranted. School is all about learning, and she just learned a shit-ton about how not to come off like a racist, stuck-up cunt.

And really, the best was the Asian dude that made a reply video to her, mocking her.

In case you missed it the first time:

Best line comes at 1:19

#28 Nettdata, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  9. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I accept that is a fair view, it is just how I feel on the issue.

10. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

None of this would have happened if those damn Asian kids were out delivering moo-goo-gai-pan on their bikes like they're supposed to.

The people I really feel for are the ones watching that clip who DIDN'T get accepted into UCLA.

11. JoeCanada

JoeCanada
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You know what, the girl in this particular video does sound a little racist, but I really don't see why any complaint about a race/cultural group is automatically "racist."

When I went to UBC, there were many, many Asian students, and a lot of them spoke very little English. I completely support their right to come to Canada and go to UBC, I understand they have their own culture, but you know what? Sometimes I got annoyed at being a cultural minority in Vancouver.

I'm not saying I wish the Asians would leave, I'm not saying they don't have their own cultures that are just as valid as mine--seriously, I'm not--Quite simply, I would just get frustrated when there were five Chinese exchange students in front of me at the campus Subway trying to order from the Korean exchange student employee. Racism alert: Chinese exchange students suck at saying "cucumber."

12. misnomer

misnomer
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Only this is a university we're talking about, which exists for learning and free exchange of ideas, not a company, which exists to create profit for shareholders. While in reality universities need to make money and maintain prestigious reputations to stay afloat just as companies do, I think it's wrong of a university to discipline students for something like this because it would be against what a university stands for.

What people learn from all this political correctness is that if you want to shut someone up, just get offended, loudly. Someone disagrees with you? HOLY SHIT THAT'S HATE SPEECH! Saves having to reason or defend one's view to actual scrutiny and discussion. Not saying that there was anything to scrutinise in what this idiot was saying, just a comment generally on political correctness.

Read this just yesterday:
    Spike Online: Students are supposed to read books, not burn them

13. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

While Alexandra Wallace comes off as an idiot, a racist, an arrogant bitch, and makes a lot of dumbass statements in that video, she's not entirely wrong about her central sentiment.

I went to an undergrad which was about 50% Asian, and yes, when I was studying in the library, frequently there would be some idiot having a loud conversation on the phone. And nine times out of ten, when I looked over, they would be either Korean (the most common culprit), Chinese, Vietnamese, or Singaporean.

Oh, and another thing; Alexandra is a racist who can't separate between the various Asian countries, that's true...but believe me, I have met several dozen Asians in undergrad (including a few when I would regularly visit UCLA) who hated whites with a burning passion, and would say/do things a million times worse than anything Ms. Wallace could ever dream of.

Of course, they were also intelligent enough not to broadcast it to the whole world in a Youtube video, but hey.

So yes, she sucks, but she is also not completely wrong on everything, and it's fucking hypocritical for a lot of people to get angry at her.

As for the people sending her death threats, they suck even worse than she does.

14. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Shit like this makes me wish the Internet didn't exist. First it's that dumb shit Friday video, now this, what's the general populace going to get OH SO ENRAGED ABOUT next? Can't we, as a people, just learn to leave stupid shit that doesn't actually affect anyone's life alone? This fake vitriol and posturing of people hiding behind their computers thinking they're changing the world by sending death threats to dumb girls who say dumb things is getting out of hand.

Laugh at it? Sure. Get legitimately angry about it? No, people give less of a shit about what you think about the thing, than they do the thing itself.

15. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone else think there wouldn't be any rage at all if instead of a white girl posting this nonsense it was a black man, or a Latino man?

Stereotypes exist for a reason, but they are not pretty reasons. I like how no one else has said, "No shit, the Asians in the library are annoying. So, deal with it or go to a school in Alabama where diversity means something completely different." I also love the fact that at least three people on this board have confirmed that her generalization is basically true.

Seriously, if you get offended by ANYTHING on the internet you are simply too sensitive or looking to get offended. My take on this: if you don't like the video you are watching, turn it off. There are ignorant racists across the globe, the majority of which are not white, some of which go to college, and they all want to share their opinions on how the (Insert any group of people) are ruining shit. This type of speech loses it's power when it's ignored. Think about it: this same kind of shit exists by the thousands at schools like USC (Carolina) and no one cares.

16. ASL

ASL
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

She is obviously over-privileged and ignorant. I understand the annoyance at PEOPLE being loud/obnoxious in the library, but I guess only the Asians really bothered her.
    I think she proved her ignorance by not just taking the video down when it started getting so much negative feedback.
    The whole situation has been blown out of proportion; just as she loves to hate Asians, everyone else loves to hate her.
    The entire issue of racism is exacerbated by continuing to talk about racism. She yells about typical Asians, people yell back about typical white bitch.
    She should have complained about people in the library, not just Asians. Everyone who got worked up about the video should have just ignored her because she's an idiot.

17. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Serious question: how the fuck is it that Asian people in North America have such horrible cell phone manners, and yet real Asians in Asia seem to have impeccable cell phone manners? I mean, there was that video from Hong Kong where a guy on a bus was talking on a phone and then someone in front of him turned around and chewed his ass out for being so rude about it. On an episode of Top Gear in Japan, the guys were talking on a cell phone in the back of an empty bus and the passengers just getting on in the front of the bus were giving them some serious evil eye for doing so.

I've never experienced the Asians talking on a cell phone in a library thing, but at the first university I went to (which was far more predominantly white) they would sit in groups of 10-12 in the library at any hour, loudly speaking Mandarin or Korean or whichever language they happened to be speaking. Then again, describing these people as "Asian" (or Chinese or Korean or whatever) is akin to the Jersey Shore cast calling themselves "Italian".

18. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think you just answered your own question.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Adam Carolla takes the stand that stereotypes are somewhat true; if they weren't, they wouldn't exist. It's not a popular stance, but I tend to agree.

For instance, "Those Germans, they can't drive worth shit."

Doesn't ring true, does it?

But, "Those Asians can't drive worth shit."

That does have some truth to it.

Why? Is it because I'm a racist? No. It's because it's been a reoccurring observation. (I live in Vancouver, BC, by the way). It obviously doesn't mean all Asians can't drive, but it does mean that Asians have a disproportionately large number of shitty drivers.

One of my Asian friends is hilarious; he fully admits that he can't drive worth shit. (He's in the Porsche Club with me and I teach him high performance driving). He sucks at it. He's the first to admit that the easiest way to blind him is to put him behind a windshield. He's had 12 insurance claims for accidents that HE has caused. And yet the fucker is excellent at handgun competition and wood working. He's got coordination, but he just can't drive and loses all situational awareness when he gets behind the wheel. He's the first to admit it, and we all laugh our assess off about it.

It's part of a larger scheme of things where you can't even mention the colour of a guy's skin.

For instance, I was watching an MMA fight last night where there were two fighters wearing the exact same trunks; white with black stripes. They were both bald, the same size/build, and other than the fact one was white and one was black, they could have been described the same way.

And yet the announcers tried to identify the two fighters by doing anything other than saying "X is the black guy, and Y is the white guy". They went on for almost the entire first round trying to distinguish the two fighters.

20. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is basically how I feel about it. We're slowly creating a nation of people that have to look over their shoulders before saying anything that doesn't conform to a certain worldview. Tolerance works both ways: I tolerate your worldview and you tolerate mine.