Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Artistic License

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrFrylock, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Because movies are films and films are visual stories. Stories don't particularly need to be credible to be enjoyable or good. I'd rather a movie with a good story and with unbelievable action than a movie with a bad story that is fully realistic. However we rarely get movies with good stories to begin with, and we're usually served bad stories with unrealistic effects at the same time.

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Loud explosions in space. There's no sound out there.

The red digital readout countdown on bombs. If bombmakers want to blow some shit up, they aren't going to lend a hand to the people trying to disarm their toys. And it ALWAYS stops at 3 or less. FUCK I hate that shit.

Cops that empty boxes of bullets in a shootout and then tell their captain to go fuck himself, cause they need a drink. Yeah, they be in a wee bit o' trouble. Move along, nothin' to sah here.

The long-jumping car. A car that jumps 100 feet airbourne whether it lands on all fours or not is getting turned inside out and the people inside are going to die horribly.

Hollywood is a glitzy, magical place. Hollywood is a shithole.

The hero that outruns a fireball. Examples include Judge Dredd, Independence Day and The Long Kiss Goodnight. This cannot be done by any living creature on earth. It's an explosion. It makes a loud noise and then you vapourize.

People who fall off building always land on car roofs. No they don't they land on homeless people.

3. LadyLecter

LadyLecter
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

This is a little off focus but I think still relevent. While I may argue about the order and some of it, quite a few of the points are quite accurate and amusing, and I thought of this when I saw the focus.

Nostalgia Critic: Top 11 Coolest Cliches

#23 LadyLecter, Sep 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  4. Pink Candy

Pink Candy
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

It's not a movie, but the inaccuracies with Special Victims Unit drives me up the goddamn wall.

In all the time I have worked with sexual predators, none of them have savored their crimes to the police, none have talked about the ecstasy of raping a woman or child and rarely do people dress up so prettily when dealing with such offenders.

I have lost count at the amount of times I've said "This would never happen!" when I've watched that show. Now I just don't watch for fear of possessions of mine breaking due to a thrown remote.

CSI is another. I can't even go into the idiocy of how inaccurate that series is without popping a blood vessel. My less than intelligent friends will tell me they want to go into forensic science thanks to that show and I always say the same thing in a flat monotone voice like I'm dealing with a five year old: "That is not how real life forensic science works. That is Hollywood's version of a crime lab."

5. Crazy Wolf

Crazy Wolf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

ZOOM, ENHANCE.

6. Omegaham

Omegaham
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I dunno about SVU - in my opinion, it's a good drama series that needs the inaccuracies to function. My guess is that in your line of work, when a guy gets caught, there's no interrogation where he tells all and shouts "I LOVE RAPING WOMEN" for God Almighty to hear; it's "I want my lawyer" every single time, because they aren't stupid when it comes to serving hard time for sex offenses. Not to mention that most people don't have the stomach to actually face their actions and then revel in their evil. They do whatever it is they do and then come up with rationalizations for why they aren't actually bad people.

CSI is another story though. I don't even have a basic knowledge of forensics and I know that this shit is fucked up.

Focus: NCIS. I like the show, but again, it needs to fundamentally diverge from real life to make it a good drama. Real NCIS people are boring. They sift through records and logbooks and interrogate stupid PFCs and sailors all day long. They don't find incredible issues of national security; most of their work is mundane in the extreme, just like any other cop work. I feel bad for the NCIS here; there's not much criminal activity, so they just sit there with their thumbs up their asses all day long waiting for someone to fuck up. Pensacola's Smoke Pit Mafia isn't big enough, I guess.

#26 Omegaham, Sep 25, 2010
  7. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's not so much an inaccuracy as it is a directing choice, but I get annoyed by characters reading everything aloud. Who sits at their computer reading e-mails and IMs aloud? I mean, other than cam whores. Just use a voice over, thanks.

Also, it looks like in the upcoming movie Burried, the cigarette lighter doesn't consume oxygen or produce toxic gases.

And Inception takes place in a world where there isn't a Sherman Antitrust Act and planes don't experience turbulence (I know I've slept through flights, but they should have at least acknowledged the risk).

Oh, and in Phantom Menace they say that Jedi communicate with the Force through microscopic midichlorians. Nope.

I do however like that there is an explanation for why ships in Star Wars make sounds. They don't, but ships have internal speakers that make sounds to make the pilot aware of nearby ships they can't see.

They might not qualify as "great" books, but the characters in the Thursday Next series have something similar to text, where they communicate through footnotes.

8. Wadget

Wadget
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The fact that the Hulks shirt always rips but his pants can stretch upto 8 times their original size.

How ridiculous.

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Hacking

Apparently you can steal 9 billion dollars by being animated and typing on your keyboard really loud.

Also, the worst and mostly widely known offender is uploading a computer virus to an alien mothership in Independence Day.

#29 Juice, Sep 26, 2010
  10. Omegaham

Omegaham
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hey, maybe Bill Gates' cousin Galgamak Gates made Viewports ME For Assault Craft or something. Even in the future there's crappy software.

11. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Romantic Comedies.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cracked.com/article_18756_7-romantic-movie-gestures-that-can-get-you-prison-time.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cracked.com/article_18756_7- ... -time.html</a>

12. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Annoying Cliches

1. A woman overpowering a man in a fight in any "serious" film. Usually it involves a starved-looking, beautiful girl with no muscle mass taking down a man well over 6 feet and 200 pounds. It's one thing if the movie is pure entertainment that never takes itself seriously, but when something like this is presented seriously, or worse yet, the woman is the main hero, it's just really, really fucking stupid.

2. The villain gets the drop on our main hero, and instead of blowing his brains out...simply puts a gun to his head and captures/imprisons/tortures him. Ugh.

3. Any scientist/mathematician in a film saying completely stupid and inaccurate shit.

4. Any scientist/mathematician in a film being extremely weird, anti-social, and/or simply insane.

Fun Cliches

1. The ancient, small old man with a bushy white beard in the kung fu film is usually the most brutal, dangerous badass. Among many other examples...

2. Action heroes always deliver one-liners in the process of killing someone.

13. Disgustipated

Disgustipated
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Usually an allusion to Bak Mei, the alleged traitor of Shaolin. Bak Mei itself means "White Eyebrow".

14. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Along the same lines, a completely inexperienced but key character defeating several athletic henchmen with years of experience in combat.

#34 Frank, Sep 27, 2010
  15. TheCapn

TheCapn
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Superman's shirt being bullet proof but not scissors proof in Superman Returns.

16. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That actually makes sense. Because Superman's skin doesn't move when struck by a bullet, the fabric of his shirt would not move either, and thus would not tear. What the effect of the pressure between Superman's impervious skin and a speeding bullet would be I'm not sure, but there's no reason why the shirt would tear like it normally would when a bullet passes through it.

Put a piece of paper flat on your desk. Now try to push your finger through it. No such luck, eh?

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

But I _WOULD_ expect it to suffer from rapid compression leading to combustion or deformation.

There would most definitely be a deformation of the shirt, albeit maybe not to the point of a hole.

And that is assuming that the shot is acting at a perfect 90° to the plane of the chest.

18. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

First of all, do you think you're typing in ASCII and can't use italics?

Second of all, I buy the combustion angle, just saying that there wouldn't be the traditional bullet holes one normally gets from capping fools.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Do you think you're NOT typing in ASCII?

20. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Girls looking hot while playing sports/doing extreme physical activity.

How is their makeup staying so flawless after they've just beat up fifteen dudes? Why aren't they sweating? And doing anything extreme with your hair down is just an impossibility. That shit gets in your eyes and sticks to your face so badly, you'd be dead in two seconds.