Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Archer: Season 2

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Kratos, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The whole dildo being like a rubber eggplant shit was fucking hilarious.

2. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

3. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

"Don't judge me...food." Classic. This was the best episode in a while and Carol was legit. I'm happy Ray isn't paralyzed, but I think there should be a better explanation next episode.

4. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I liked the one before but the ending of this one was pretty funny. Carol giving a kidnapping report.

5. Aribidi

Aribidi
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Oh man, this episode was balls-out funny. And really well written too. From Bionic-Barry acting like a lunatic and a dick ("just kidding, you will be 600 miles away from a toilet") to Pam nailing every line ("I'm like a Chupacabra, but for dicks.")

But the funniest part isn't really relevant. I was ten minutes into the show and my roommate/colleague came in the room, talking about how he regretfully banged our big, fat blond co-worker. The moment I paused the episode, the frame was stuck on Pam, who looks almost exactly like said co-worker. The whole timing of everything had me constantly giggling like some unhinged crazy person.

6. jrm

jrm
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

TV's representation of Siberia annoys me somewhat. Sure, there's a whole lot of wilderness out there, but there are also cities the size of Phoenix. Someone from Moscow being told they're being sent to Siberia is similar to someone from Toronto being transferred to Alberta. Sure, it might not be great news, but the utterance of the word "Siberia" doesn't strike fear into anyone.

Of course, a show like Archer isn't exactly too grounded in reality, but it happens far too often in movies and TV.

The last couple of episodes have been very good indeed though. There were a couple of dodgy instalments towards the start of the season, but it's really been on its game as of late.

7. Renholder

Renholder
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Didn't care for last nights episode. Besides there not really being any new jokes, they actually fucked up their running literally/figuratively gag ("I puked until there was literally no fluid left in my body"). Hope the season finale is better, but the whole Mission to Mars thing is a little out there even for this show.

8. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wonder how the landing simulator foreshadowing is going to pay off.

9. Renholder

Renholder
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Part II was much better. It seems like they deliberately made the finale to say "hey, here's a recap of all the jokes we did this season." Great season overall. There were only 1 or 2 mediocre episodes in my opinion.

Archer may be done for now but It's Always Sunny is coming back to fill it's spot!

10. Fusion

Fusion
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Season 4 is released January 2013 (IMDB)

I know it is a long way off, but I was wondering if it had got renewed for another season.

11. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I'm dragging this thread up instead of starting a new one. Sue me.

FX has clips of season 4 up.

12. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Gimp Suit!

13. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I was afraid of being disappointed with this. I mean, I was looking forward to this show for the past 4 months. How does a 23 minute cartoon live up to that?

It did!

14. BeCoolBitch_BeCool

BeCoolBitch_BeCool
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The Bob's Burgers tie-in killed me. This episode was better than most of last season.

15. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The puppy died too

16. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Anyone else feel like in general, the quality has declined on this show?

I feel like the first season was smarter somehow.

17. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought the last episode was funny shit, I'll admit that they are not all stellar episodes though.

18. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There were some soft spots in last seasons episodes but so far this season has been freaking hilarious.

19. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think that the main difference is that as they've fleshed out the other characters, it went from being an Archer-centric, plot-driven story to an ensemble, character-driven story. It probably felt smarter because in season one nearly all the reference jokes were about obscure pop-culture. Those are still there, but now most of the jokes are references to things within the Archer universe, which they couldn't really do in the first season because things like the Tuntmore hotel were not established yet.

20. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I find shows like this have this happen as they go longer and longer. They're really smart shows and lauded for being so smart and creative, but then they get kind of full of themselves, and they start the self-referential fellating. At first it is cool to catch a lot of the references, but eventually they go overboard. Die-hard fans can catch the references, and love it, but general fans who haven't watched every episode ten times start to fall behind and miss some jokes. See also: Community.

Another show that is guilty of this is The Venture Brothers. Great show, and the first few seasons were amazing, but towards the later seasons it gets really full of itself and the self-referential stuff, referring back to stuff that happened seasons ago (and this show airs seasons two years apart sometimes), and its easy to miss a lot of those references, and it seems like the quality is starting to slip. If you're not watching closely and paying close, 100 percent attention, it is easy to miss a lot of the references they cram in for jokes.

They're still great shows, but I think they expect a LOT of devotion from their fanbase to catch a lot of the jokes, and people who don't watch every episode religiously miss out on some stuff and it seems like the quality fell off.