Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Archer: Season 2

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Kratos, Jan 17, 2011.

1. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

It's funny how the quality of individual episodes of this show are very representative of F/X programming as a whole. There are some classics, and there are some that fall flat, but even the duds are more entertaining than what most cable networks offer up.

There's definitely a lot more fun to be had with Krieger, given that he's now been morphed into the mad-scientist-slash-genius-of-all-trades.

2. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's like we've got each others backs!

I had to slip him an extra hundred bucks.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

"Cry havoc and let slip the hogs of war."

4. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Zima in the IV bag had me laughing so hard I had to pause my DVR, and the entire rampage was unmitigated awesome.

5. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Best episode of the year, hands down. Watching at work, I literally fell off the side of my chair, I was laughing so hard.

"SURVEY SAYS!?!"

6. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The "Survey Says" Part with the Irish Mobsters may have been one of the best things I've seen in this show so far. I also liked the little stuff about Kreiger being a Nazi that they worked in, Kreiger just cracks me up every time he's on screen.

I was a little afraid that they were writing themselves into a corner with Archer having cancer, and I was really afraid I was going to have to deal with it over the course of 3+ episodes, so I liked the way they ended it.

"Terms of Enrampagement". Awesome.

7. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Pretty good episode; not that many actual jokes, but the scenes flowed well, there were some nice twists, and it had a satisfying ending. The "rampage" theme was great, and the more I watch, the more I appreciate Archer's voice actor. On the other hand, the revelation about Krieger being a genetic clone of Hitler? Dumb and unnecessary, especially since he was even cooler without any definite backstory.

8. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Movie reference, right down to the dobermans. I doubt they go anywhere with it.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It'd be interesting to see how many people even got the Boys from Brazil Reference... it's an old movie.

10. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The obscure references are one of the best parts of the series. My favorite so far was in "Scorpio" when Archer found a grenade hanging from a lampshade.

11. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I understood it alright, but as you mentioned, they didn't go anywhere with it, nor was it that funny to begin with. I love references, but they're better as cheap, throwaway gags, not an entire backstory on a character. The Archer series is usually quite good about this, in fact.

12. konatown

konatown
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In the same episode:

Lana - "They have everything here"
    Sterling - "Even Ski?"

Most of you never noticed it and its not some humorous or esoteric reference, just a nod to a local (to me) soda that can notoriously hard to find outside of southwestern Indiana.

The writers really throw some rare oddities out there.

13. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

"Tome again?"

Classic.

14. Aribidi

Aribidi
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

"Seriously, you should get him something to play with. It's like......Meowschwitz in there."

Great episode once again. Pam talking shit to the kidnappers, Brett slowly bleeding dry and Archer being afraid of the 'cyborgs'. But the most satisfying thing was Malory finally getting what she deserves. Pam went from fat and pathetic to downright scary. Even scarier than Sheryl/Carol/whatever.

The show has really been on a roll lately. I wasn't a big fan of the Swamp- and Woodhouse-episodes, but everything before those were really good and everything since then has been fucking awesome.

15. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did anyone catch what Pam's tatoo said? It was too blurry to read on my SDTV.

16. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

(Spoilered for size)
    [​IMG]

It's from The Destruction of Sennacherib, a poem written by Lord Byron in 1815.

17. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Very good episode.

Loved the part where Archer hangs up on the kidnappers, believing them to be "cyborgs". That kind of random character stupidity is something they used to have much more of in the first season, but have gotten away from recently.

Cyril during the shoot-out in the fetal position, with his arm stretched backwards shooting a tiny gun was also a hilarious touch.

Edit-

A good decision to make this particular episode funny, but a poor choice long-term. It will make it harder for Pam to be humorous, since I don't know if she is supposed to be the touchy feely bitch that cried for mercy when Archer beat her with a stuffed dolphin, the calm, undersexed, office gossiper, or a tough, maniac badass.

18. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

I feel like this has got to become a problem sooner or later because the show tends to do this a lot where they introduce a surprising character trait/backstory/etc. that works to make an episode funnier, but is hard to imagine some of the facts they introduced not being a burden in future episodes. They haven't run into any problems yet, but I feel like they have to at some point or another.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I think it'll work.

Everyone has some uncharacteristic behaviour that will surface when they've hit their breaking point, and I think we just see a repressed trait in Pam that only came about because she was pushed into it.

It doesn't mean that her character will now be acting like that all the time, I'd say.

20. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know why the cupcake in the briefcase is so funny, but it is.