Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Archer: Season 2

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Kratos, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rastafarian Pam came out of left field. I hope FX isn't going to air this season out of chronological order like they did last year.

2. Macgruber

Macgruber
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Awesome episode. Krieger is one of my favourite characters on any of the TV shows I watch.

3. Aribidi

Aribidi
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

On the same note, who the hell was that guy at the end? The way he was introduced, you'd think he'd be in an episode before. But right now I don't remember him appearing in the first season.

And why do people think the first episode of this season wasn't as good as the first season? It was funny as hell. "I can't be alone, that's when she strikes. Like a slutty ninja."

4. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Finally watched the second episode, and I have to agree, it's a definite improvement over the premiere.

I'm an absolute mark for an awesome Clockwork Orange reference, and I actually like what they're doing with the Archer character, making him more responsible and competent. I don't know why Carol is suddenly such a normal and stable character, though.

5. Evolution

Evolution
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

This week's episode had some nice one liners.

"Wait a minute, this ain't a condom wrapper, it's from a candy bar!"
    "So? Sometimes I like to treat myself."
    "Well, sometimes I like to ovulate!"
    "Well, I gotta sleep, so do it somewhere else. Money's on the dresser."

6. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did anyone else catch Krieger's second "me too"? It was quiet but had me in stitches.

Popeye is Trinette's pimp from "Training Day." He was an unseen character in season one.

7. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Very good third episode. Best one so far this season.

Nice to see the return of crazy Carol, although it's strange how character personalities change so suddenly in consecutive shows. Feels like they have different writers responsible for each episode, and don't bother much about the continuity. (Not necessarily bad when we're talking about a comedy, but a little disorienting and it's harder to make cracks about established personas)

Yeah, that was probably the highlight of the episode. That, and Pam's "best dancer ever"!

8. Obviously5Believer

Obviously5Believer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Actually there were three of them. Later they say "Someone has a full diaper..." to the baby and he chimes in from off screen.

My favorite gag might just have been Pam eating from a Crock Pot like it was a soup bowl. I know it was a cheap and easy fat joke but it did make me laugh.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Gotta love this last episode, which I re-dubbed the Blue Dog episode.

10. konatown

konatown
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That brought back the brilliance that Archer had in Season 1. Loved that episode completely.

11. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Decent episode (I liked episode 3, "Blood Test", much more), but the changes in characters throughout this season is just plain nutty. Archer, after being competent, intelligent, and mostly responsible for the first three shows, goes back to being crazy and reckless in this one. Again, I don't think character consistency is a big deal in a half hour comedy, but it's jarring as hell sometimes.

By itself though, the opening was hilarious, and I liked the duel storylines and fast pace. I wonder if they're overdoing it with the references, though; I got most of them, but it feels cheap when it's every third punchline.

12. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Holy shit, when Lana starts beating the shit out of Cheryl for the Ciril remark, Pam mentions using Archer's pad for the baby shower, and what happens next:
    Lana: "Oh he'll hate that. I wanna come!"
    Cheryl (breathless): ".. I think I just did ..."

Maybe the best line of the season, if it wasn't for all the "Me Toos" .

13. PenetrationStation

PenetrationStation
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

After a mostly satisfying 2nd season, I felt the last episode was just blah. The hurricanes bit was amusing I suppose, but the jokes throughout the entire swamp section took way too long to set up and the ending was one of the weakest I've seen in either the 2nd or 1st season. Hope they step it up next week.

14. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

"That's a lot of scalps!"

15. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This was the best episode so far this season. The Woodhouse/baby dynamic is awesome.

16. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Strong episode; the flashbacks were excellent, as were all the stereotypical English verbal tics. Nice to see them finally utilize Woodhouse, too, although I like the explanation of him being some ancient heroin addict in Mexico when Mallory finds him even more.

17. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So far I thought this season has been really solid. Episode 4 was so-so, too much focus on Lana and Archer being stuck in the swamp, and I think 5 was my least favorite so far. Even though it was nice to see some focus on Woodhouse, I just felt like it wasn't as strong as the rest.

This last episode was pretty solid though.

That little sound byte followed by Pam and/or Carol shouting "Sorry!" had me cracking up every time. The show down with the sexy ninja's was pretty good too.

EDIT: Also, gotta love Krieger:

[​IMG]

A bin full of Hopes and Dreams. Love it.

#37 Fernanthonies, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  18. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Also,

[​IMG]

That is wiki's list of episode code numbers sorted by release dates. Looks pretty out of order to me.

19. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Maybe my sense of humor really needs recalibrating, but I laughed hardest at
    Spelvin: "You just cost me fifty million dollars. But I'm going to get my money's worth."
    Ciril: "No you won't. I still have one bullet left."
    Spelvin: "Does he?"
    Archer: "What do I look like, Count Bullets...ula?"

20. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Watched the most recent episode; overall, it was solid, but a step down from the week before with Woodhouse's story. One of my problems was that for the first time in the history of the show, Cyril was not only presented as an incompetent idiot, but as the biggest moron in all of ISIS, outshining Carol and drunk Archer by a wide margin. Before, his MO was being mostly rational, competent, and intelligent. In a comedy series, you establish some character traits and work from there, with some fluctuation now and then. Here, characters lose and gain major traits in the span of two episodes.