Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Apple's iPad

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by villagebicycle, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Go look at the demo... they already did showcase the MBL app.

Also, read this: <a class="postlink" href="http://radar.oreilly.com/2010/01/the-chess-grandmaster-apples-i.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://radar.oreilly.com/2010/01/the-ch ... les-i.html</a>

Again, this is NOT for the hard-core tech crowd.

The key is that this is EVOLUTIONARY, not revolutionary.

I also remember how people dismissed and laughed at the Wii for being so stupidly simple compared to other consoles.

2. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There is no way that this thing could possibly kill eReaders. The beauty of the e Reader is many fold. They have 3g coverage, so you can get the paper delivered right to you. They aren't overly sleek and fancy, and trying to do too much at once.

Most importantly they have Eink, which is wonderful. Backlit screens are terrible for reading on, and cause eyestrain, and headaches. In school I used to have a ton of reading that was posted online, and there was a huge backlash against it as it was literally a pain to read, and printing bills ran as much as the textbooks for some classes. Eink on the other hand really lets you feel that you are reading an actual book. The text is crisp, and there is no extra glow burning your retinas. In addition, I charge the battery on my kindle once every couple of weeks, and I am on that thing for hours a day.

I have said since I first heard all the buzz that this was going to be nothing more than a giant Iphone. Only not as useful. I have a feeling that this is going to be snapped up by fan boys and hipsters, who will then go to their local starbucks and sit there perusing Salvation Army online looking for the latest ironic stuff trying to look cool, and then eventually they will stop lugging it around because it just isn't useful.

In addition, I have a feeling that the screen is going to be cracking left and right. Something that large and thin in a backpack or a purse is going to get banged around, and bent a lot, and the pressure is going to cause it to snap.

3. DrinksOnTheHouse

DrinksOnTheHouse
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I am willing to bet that there wont be a Hulu app (and probably not a netflix app) because that would be direct competition (and in some cases, a free alternative) to Apple's itunes store. My suspicion is that this is the main reason that the device does not run flash although it is probably technically possible with the iPad's specs.

4. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Flash is coming to the palm pre (and possibly other phones). If the giant iphone specs can't handle it, then there is even more wrong with this product.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Not sure why everyone's hung on Flash.

I find it very funny how people who bitch about Apple's closed nature also bitch about their lack of Flash support.

<a class="postlink" href="http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplatform/2010/01/building_ipad_apps.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplatform/20 ... _apps.html</a>

6. DrinksOnTheHouse

DrinksOnTheHouse
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I thought it was pretty obvious: because so much video content is in flash (for better or worse) and to play that content, you need flash. Definitely a low point for my iPhone. I guess there are a ton of games that are flash-based as well, but I could give 2 shits about farmville and that crap.

Now if this means that web developers will start moving to HTML 5 and away from flash, then great. And I imagine it will with a high userbase for the iPhone and likely for the iPad within a year. But until that happens, the iPad is locking users out of a ton of content that is perfect for one of these devices.

7. clb

clb
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I want an iPad to keep in my living room to be a Wikipedia machine. I'll also do light reading (magazines, newspapers, blogs) on it, and it will accompany me on trips where I want to watch movies but won't need a computer when I get where I'm going. I won't get the 3G version, because it's too bulky for me to want to carry around all day. That's what I have a phone for.

I will, however, be holding out for iPad v2 because I want to be able to do light multitasking and I don't want any webpages to be inoperable because of flash.

I think anyone vehemently against this machine is missing the point. It's entirely about media consumption. If you're typing anything more than quick email or the occasional IM you should be at a computer. If you're running around town you should be using your phone. This is for lounging around the house or to be used in an unproductive fashion on public transit. I think it the form factor is just about perfect for those two things, and the software is really quite close. Steve Jobs did it again.

8. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Every time I see a picture of the new iPad, it looks like it's really an iPhone being held by midget hands.

9. Beer Me

Beer Me
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

It really does!

For me, I will eventually get an iPad, but it's not worth obsessing over for me. I would love to have a device smaller than a MacBook/laptop where I could do quick on-the-go tasks without worrying about a small screen (like on a cellphone). It has alot of good features, but I was hoping for a tablet with Snow Leopard on it. I'm sure it will only take a few weeks until someone is able to jailbreak it.

As for the 3G model, it kind of worries me (but not really), they're using a new "Micro Sim Card" for the device, so you can't use your current AT&T/T-Mobile/Rogers/O2/etc sim card with it, but apparently quite a few carriers around the world already have plans to bring out the "Micro Sim" card by the summer to their carriers. If I can tether the internet on my iPhone or PDA over bluetooth to the iPad, then it would be cool (but in a way, defeats the purpose)

10. Justadude

Justadude
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm currently deployed to Iraq and if I was deploying right now I would snap ipad and a pelican case up in a heart beat. I have lots of downtime in low-light situations, everything from radio watch to our communal living, (where we have people sleeping 24/7) and limited amounts of space.

I actually bought an Iphone a few months before I went to my training site (which is locked down) just for the ability to fuck off on the internet and it was one of the best investments I ever made. Now if I had the ability to read the same way without having to fuck with the mail and in Iraq it would definitely be a good thing. Now only if you could Video Skype.

11. Natty

Natty
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

If the iPad lacks 100% open source / architecture a la everything else Apple pumps out, I will continue to prejudge their products with malice.

12. JoeFresh

JoeFresh
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Steve is slowly going insane....still no flash (which i was surprised with during the announcement...i expected him to bring up the page and say "of course we have flash"), its just a giant iTouch, and he makes it out to be so innovative when Tablets have been out for over a decade now.. I guess the share prices reflect that

13. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Aside from the subset of the population who would gladly fork over $800 for one of Steve Jobs' turds, who the fuck would actually want this??

14. carpenter

carpenter
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I can wait for second or third generation to get one for my wife. First generation is kinda dumb. They always seem to put the cool stuff later.

15. SaintBastard

SaintBastard
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Do you think all the period jokes floating around will hurt or help sales?

A few favorites:

tremendousnews: So I can say "That chick is on her iPad" and not be called a pig? Thank you Apple.

fauxfruit: If I order this, will my boyfriend and I have to worry if it comes late?

andBegorrah: If you and your friends all buy one, will they sync up?

morninggloria: Can I get a scented iPad for when my data feels not-so-fresh?

16. manbehindthecurtain

manbehindthecurtain
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I have a laptop for use at home, and an iphone for use at work, the train, directions around the city, etc. The iPad seems too unwieldy for my own uses, and I would never give up a real book for an electronic version, in any format.

17. thatone

thatone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The first thing I thought when I saw this was: "Oh, cool - can you hook up a tactile keyboard (perhaps even wirelessly? neat!) and use software like Word or Excel (which I need for school and work)? No? Well I've got an iPod touch. This thing can get fucked."

So yeah. Apple can get fucked.

18. Queef Debris

Queef Debris
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Madtv's skit on the ipad a few years in advance

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFNQE_TzQNI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFNQE_TzQNI</a>

19. Idaho_Vandal

Idaho_Vandal
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I thought that this was relevant to the discussion. This is a comic in response to the unveiling of the ipad

[​IMG]

Th fact is that although most people are disappointed with the ipad it will still sell because Apple is more of a cult than a brand.

Personally I have no use for one, and i have a hard time thinking of something this does that another gadget doesn't do with more convenience.

20. pterodactyl

pterodactyl
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Actually you can hook up a keyboard to it.
    [​IMG]

Also they designed a new version of iWork for it so you can import office documents and edit them and export them as pdfs or whatever.