Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

And you say...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nettdata, Dec 24, 2010.

?

You say:

1. Merry Christmas

96 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. Happy Holidays

20 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. Fuck You

15 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. *crickets*

7 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. Get off my lawn.

18 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Odd thing. At a family gathering last night, one of my cousins was saying that while going around the mall, they intentionally and very snottily say "Merry Christmas" to anyone who says "happy holidays". This turned the discussion to the topic of how...

-it's all these atheists and social engineers who have brought about the "happy holidays", not Jews or Muslims
    -how you rarely find Jews or Muslims who take offense to "Merry Christmas"

So, if I follow the logic properly,

a) Merry Christmas isn't offensive to other people, but;
    b) Happy Holidays is offensive to us, as such;
    c) we will say Merry Christmas with the intent of it being offensive

That's one hell of a victim complex.

As was once pointed out to me, everything anyone ever says is always politically correct. It's just correct by their own politics.

2. ktg21

ktg21
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I tend to actually say "murry grimbus" just to see if anyone will catch it...they don't.

3. PewPewPow

PewPewPow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

fuck christmas, New Years all the way!

4. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I usually go with "Happy Holidays", unless I know for certain what specific holiday someone celebrates. I'm thoughtful like that.

I'll either wish my Jewish friends Happy Hanukkah, or leave them with a hearty "Enjoy the egg foo young!". If I know you celebrate Christmas I'll slap a "Merry Christmas" on you. I have friends who wear "Please wish me a Merry Christmas" pins on their jackets. I used to think that was obnoxious, but it actually is pretty damn helpful. Now if I can only find a pin that says "I don't believe in God or put much stock in the consumer confidence index. Nor do I wish to celebrate the winter solstice. But I enjoy the goodwill, good food, spirit of giving, and forced family hilarity that accompanies this timeof year, so wish me whatever the hell you want"

5. klky

klky
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm the same as Nom, if it's Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, I say Merry Christmas. If it's any other time I say Happy Holidays. I never really thought about it as a PC thing, I just feel a little odd saying Merry Christmas when it's still a while away. Sort of like saying Happy New Year on the 22nd of December. Happy Holidays, however, feels like it can encompass a longer time period while still acknowledging that glorious time off is on its way.

6. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a stout pint! Generally followed by a "Now bring on St. Pats!"

I'm a traditionalist.