Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

"And it don't stop..." OFFICIAL Hip-Hop Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by clickclack, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Proverbs

Proverbs
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Alright, y'all can post grimey old school rap music, but I'm feeling like you'd like some new school street tunes.

In the old post, people talked a fair bit about Killer Mike. I love dude, and when I heard that his protege, Pill, was dropping fire I had to check it out. His mixtape, Prescription 4180, is really good. He's nothing if not a gangster rapper, but there is an honesty and emotionality to his odes to the street corner that lend them a sense of almost nobility.

Then there's also Freddie Gibbs who took getting kicked off of Interscope as an excuse to work even harder. The best way I can describe him is Texas' candypaint and syrup tunes with Chicago's fast flow. It's awesome. Check out midwestgangstacaddilacboxframemusic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQjRksNxzdI

And then, bonus, dudes are working together. I can't find a youtube link, but check out 'Womb 2 the Tomb ft. Pill' by Freddie. It's great music.

#21 Proverbs, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  2. Dingus

Dingus
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

To follow up on Senna mentioned earlier, if anyone hears any mention of "Life Change" by Clipse leaking, even if it's just a snippet, it needs to be posted immediately.

3. mrwoliachi

mrwoliachi
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Nah Right released footage of a listening session in Harlem with snippets of six to seven tracks from 'Till the casket drops'

http://nahright.com/news/page/2/

Not the best quality but it's easy to tell this album is going to be crazy.. I'm particularly keen to hear 1:50-2:50 all the way through

4. erk33

erk33
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Anybody have a link to the Kimbo Price mixtape? I've found a couple places with it but I'm having trouble downloading the .rar files. Thanks.

5. Senna Vs. Prost

Senna Vs. Prost
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I have looped the last 5 seconds of Malice's video blogs countless times just to hear the sweet nectar that is this track. You are going to hear this song coming from a lot of ratting trunks come December. So hot.

Apparently XXL only gave this album an "XL" rating, which is inconceivably, consdering the Thorton brothers are infallible.

6. Brother J

Brother J
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

BET Cyphers

From the BET awards last night, the only part I bother watching...the cyphers.

Meh...ok. The first chick was alright, but in a goofy sorta way. I still don't understand why people even bother with Joe Budden.

All around pretty good. The Nipsey dude looks like a beat up Snoop Dogg, but not bad. Wale was good as usual, and this is coming from a HUGE Wale fan, but he needs to switch up his flow a bit. This sounded like the 4th verse from "Chillin." KRS killed it in my opinion. As the 3rd cypher also shows, there is a contrast between the old school and golden era of MC's, and today's. I'm not hating on everyone new, and there is a ton of stuff coming out soon which is going to make a great year for hip hop (albeit, a lot of the stuff is from these older dudes), but these 35-40 year old or so aged MC's rap CIRCLES around the new school. Breath control is there, wordplay is there, relevancy, yup still got it. Yes, I will give them that they have the experience and can change up their flow, but listen to these guys back in their day. They sounded just as good then. And this is not meant to say all of these older MC's are still, or ever were, at the top of their game, but how many MC's from the last 2-3 years can you say will still be around and killing it in 20 years?

And the pinnacle of the night. All 3 of these freestyles were incredible. Mos Def is one of my favorite artists, and he showed me why, although a few of his verses sounded a bit recycled. Black Thought, what the fuck? My jaw dropped, that was a sick freestyle. And Eminem killed it too. He sounded like back to the Eminem Show style Eminem. Coming hard, no annoying voices, and passion.

If you guys haven't seen these cyphers before, please please please check out last years. All 3 were amazing from 2008. There are some from '07, but harder to find. The one with Lupe is pretty sick though, so look for that one.

#26 Brother J, Oct 28, 2009
  7. Sean Daley

Sean Daley
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

8. Takoz

Takoz
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I loved him when he dropped The Block is Hot and The Carter back in the day. The last few years, though, it seems like everyone has hopped on his dick and I've questioning whether he's overrated now. This mixtape put those questions to rest for me -- he absolutely destroys every track. Insane.

9. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

DL'd an early issue for 50 Cents new disc...

Awful. I'm not sure home many of the 16 tracks will make the final disc but none of them were catchy.

His old stuff is still catchy and listenable even though it was over-played but his latest efforts haven't held up.

10. Parts

Parts
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Seriously, wow. I never even liked his stuff before now, but that just convinced me to drop some money on Tha Carter. Intense, no wonder people like him.

Incidentally, old... but still great. Just heard it, and still needs pimping in case anyone missed it like me:

Dilated Peoples ft Kanye West - This Way
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbo9QlcL ... re=related

11. satan rae

satan rae
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I have been listening to a lot of ken starr lately.

and some older Atmosphere.

#31 satan rae, Nov 1, 2009
  12. Nalab

Nalab
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

For anyone thinking about hitting up one of Jay Z's concerts, DO IT. I went last week and it was fucking great. I had never been to a rap concert before hand and didn't really know what to expect but it smashed my expectations. Jay fucking ripped it up the entire show, I honestly feel no other rapper could bring it that hard during a live show. His set-list was great too, he played a lot of his older hits and would just spit one or two verses. I found this play list which is identical to the one I saw.

The opening acts were J. Cole, N.E.R.D., and Wale. I loved both Wale's and J. Cole's mixtapes over the summer and was really excited to see them in concert but I missed J. Cole and Wale was fucking terrible live. Wale's set sounded like a shitty Limp Biskit concert or something, it was painful to listen to. N.E.R.D. was good though and Pharrell came back out to perform some songs with Jay. Overall it was well worth the money so if you're on the fence about going you should definitely drop the cash.

13. jecantor

jecantor
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Wale's debut album, Attention: Deficit, has leaked and it is fucking good. Some of my favorite songs so far are Mirrors feat. Bun B, TV in the Radio feat. K'naan (ridiculous song) and Beautiful Bliss feat. J. Cole (with a killer verse) and Melanie Fiona. He got a really solid lineup to be featured on the album. The only thing that kept it from being perfect for me was the fact that he included fucking Gucci Mane on Pretty Girls. I even enjoyed that song, but I just can't stand Gucci Mane.

I would say that Wale has made a name for himself thus far with tactics such as repeating his name a lot (excessively), using clever sports metaphors and using gogo drums in his beats. With Attention: Deficit, he completely strays from his old formula and introduces himself as a serious rapper who is a force to be reckoned with. I had high expectations for this album and they've been completely fulfilled so far. 9/10 from me.

14. erk33

erk33
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Weekend full of hip hop shows for me. Saw Devin, Meth and Red, and Snoop Dogg Friday at Lupo's in Providence, and Sunday at House of Blues in Boston. Saturday went to R.A. the Rugged Man AG and OC at Harper's Ferry in Boston. R.A. is one of the nicest MCs out there right now, and easily craziest. His show was the most entertaining one I've ever been to. Just constantly talking to and playing around with the crowd. Before the show even started he was out on Comm Ave with a supersoaker squirting people as they walked by. His new CD Legendary Classics Vol 1 is out on the web right now. Does anyone have a link to it?

15. Dingus

Dingus
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

16. hiphopguru

hiphopguru
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

went to a little house party last night and realized why I fell in love with hip hop all over again. There I was in a little living room that was packed with people. I had a double-deuce of Mickeys and the other hand up in the air as this little local rap group did there thing. The atmosphere was great, there was hot women, the group got the crowd HYPED.

all in all a great night for hip-hop

17. Dingus

Dingus
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

18. Proverbs

Proverbs
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

So with Pill, Mike Bigga (nee Killer Mike), B.O.B., Outkast, Gucci Mane, TI (keep ya head up), and Young Jeezy covering the scale from deep underground (Mike) to fully commercial (Gucci), you could be forgiven for assuming that we've seen pretty much all that's coming out of ATL. You will not, however, be forgiven for not checking DONNIS out.

He defines his music as 'everyman rap', no thugging, just the dreams and fears of another guy. I have a bad feeling that he might run out of subject matter by the third mixtape (which is probably also exactly when record labels will start talking to him), but for now I definitely recommend dude. Check out his new mixtape here

Also, with Curtis' new album dropping soon I feel the need to post GZA's scathing diss track that I feel was largely overlooked. Fire:

#38 Proverbs, Nov 13, 2009
  19. gramouflage

gramouflage
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I know I am a quite late and I would think that this album was mentioned on the TMMB Hip-Hop thread but AZ - Legendary is a solid album. I have had it on my ipod for a few months but I finally got into it on the highway last weekend. For his eighth album, most of which have been commercial duds, he manages to bring in decent production though nothing "upper teir*." He has a lengthy catalogue of albums, each containing anywhere from a few gems to backtoback bangers, that sadly has sold fractions of what his peers in 90's mafioso rap did. "Doe or Die" could have been a 5 mic album if it wasn't as overshadowed, and perhaps heavily inspired by, Illmatic.

Nice track from above album - "Money Makes the World Go 'Round"

20. erk33

erk33
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Anyone else been following the Blakroc album? I've got a link for the download, but unfortunately the .rar extension is giving me a lot of trouble on my Mac. If anyone's interested in the album/helping me download it, here is the link.
    http://www.dotgotit.com/?p=3693#more-3693

Thanks and enjoy it.