Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

"And it don't stop..." OFFICIAL Hip-Hop Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by clickclack, Oct 20, 2009.

1. clickclack

clickclack
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Everything hip hop related goes here. Let's see if this thread gains traction like the one on RMMB. I can't think of anything to talk about, but I guess we can start here. I'm bumpin this right now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiOcVWQY2bc

Never get sick of this song. Ever.

In other news, apparently Kanye West still hasn't learned jackshit from the VMA's:
    http://www.theboombox.com/2009/10/01/ka ... t-concert/
    Anyone else think Kanye got a major coke problem? Keep in mind that Kanye West considers himself a music god. Most probably he thought that all "rock stars" do this shit. SO, at least we can safely say that kanye has probably at least tried coke.

2. Senna Vs. Prost

Senna Vs. Prost
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Till The Casket Drops was supposed to release today, but not its pushed back to December 8th. If anyone has that track "Life Change" get at me, that song is crack.

3. Brother J

Brother J
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

The new Royce da 5'9 dropped today. For anyone that caught the Slaughterhouse record a month or so back, Street Hop is what it should have been. While the Slaughterhouse collab was nothing even close to bad, Street Hop is just that much better. I've only gotten through a first listen, but am impressed so far. Beats and rhymes are on point.

Also another record that just dropped recently is Wax Tailor's In the Mood For Life. I've had B-Boy on Wax on repeat for the last 2 weeks.

I didn't see much about Kid Cudi on the old board, but did anyone pick up Man on the Moon?
    It's taken a few listens, but I'm really getting into it. Really feeling TGIF.

#3 Brother J, Oct 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  4. youaresomoney

youaresomoney
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I don't know man, I bought the Slaughterhouse album a few months ago and I fucking LOVE it. I'll have to give Street Hop a listen though.

As for Cudi, I really dig his album as well. He's got a different type of style. However, the one album I can't fucking wait for is Lupe Fiasco's next album, Lasers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lasers_(album). Lupe quickly became my favorite rapper a while ago.

And has anyone heard Drake and Trey Songz freestyle over the "Still D.R.E." beat? I know it is pretty old but I only recently discovered it and I think it's pretty sick.

#4 youaresomoney, Oct 21, 2009
  5. Brother J

Brother J
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

The Slaughterhouse album was great don't get me wrong, it was just...disjointed sounded I guess. Individually, 75% of those tracks were great, on their own. The album just didn't have that cohesive feel as a whole. It's weird seeing as how all 4 sounded really tight together.
    Street Hop has more of a finished feel, probably because of the DJ Premier involvement. 90% of the tracks are great, and as a whole album they fit together extremely well. If even possible, Royce sounds harder than on the Slaughter house record.
    "Shake This" and "Murder" are my standout tracks right now.

I couldn't agree with you more, I can't think of anything horrible that dude has put out, hell anything that didn't me amazed with his flow. Even his new song off the New Moon soundtrack is pretty dope. Even with the fact knowing that it is on the New Moon soundtrack in your mind as you're listening.
    The one thing I just wish would come out already is the CRS stuff he is doing with Kanye and Pharrell. I know it's pretty old news, but not many seem to know about it.
    Here is a video from them, super cool idea for a video. The song is dope as ever too.

#5 Brother J, Oct 21, 2009
  6. Creelmania

Creelmania
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Here's another song by CRS called "Fucced Up", this one sampling Thom Yorke's "Black Swan"

#6 Creelmania, Oct 21, 2009
  7. Ferris

Ferris
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Definitely agree with what you're saying about Lupe. Ever since I heard him on Need For Speed like 4 years ago, I knew I'd dig his stuff. Anyone know about the whole LupEND album that's supposed to be his last?

#7 Ferris, Oct 22, 2009
  8. theking23

theking23
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

He's postponing it cause his contract with Atlantic calls for more albums. Instead his next album is going to be called LASERS, it's an acronym that I can't remember off the top of my head, something about love and remembering to smile or something.

9. stcardsfan

stcardsfan
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Glad to see Royce and Slaughterhouse getting some attention in the thread. Royce has been one of my favorite MC's for nearly a decade now, I need to go pick up Street Hop ASAP. Speaking of Slaughterhouse, they are currently touring with Tech N9ne, who will be releasing his new album K.O.D. on the 27th. I don't know how many of you are familiar with his music (I was very skeptical at first) but he has become my favorite rapper next to Eminem. His music is very real, honest, and unapologetic. Dude has sold over 1 million albums independently. Check him out if you haven't.

I need to give another listen to Kid Cudi's album.

Any word on Relapse 2?

10. Brother J

Brother J
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Love Always Shines Everytime Remember 2 Smile

As for Tech N9ne, he's been at the top of favorite list for a while now. His only problem I find is inconsistency. From Anghellic, to Absolute Power, Killer and Everready, and a few of the others I'm forgetting, there is always a sprinkle of completely wack tracks. A lot of times these are on the posse cuts (Drill Team anyone?), or just a horrible selection of beats not even he can flow over. But again, he's at the top of my list for tracks like S.H.E., Real Killer or Trapped in a Psyscho's Body, which far overshadow the few less than stellar tracks he's put out. And speaking of posse tracks, Midwest Choppers from MLK still blows my mind. I don't know why, but the 2nd, kinda 3rd verse by D-Loc is unreal. Near the end (just after the 3:00 mark), it sounds like he's rapping backwards or in tongue, really cool.

To move to newer stuff, what did everyone think of Only Built 4 Cuban Linx 2? Like every other review out there, I agree it's back to that old Wu sound, which has been sorely missing the last few years. Stand out tracks for me are "New Wu," "Black Mozart," and "House of Flying Daggers." Check out the video for that song, pretty cool.

Also, anyone heard of Fashawn? His mixtape came out a couple months back The Antidote and it's pretty sick. I think his first album is coming in the next couple weeks. To me the west coast has been a bit stale lately and this is something a bit fresh.

#10 Brother J, Oct 22, 2009
  11. PewPewPow

PewPewPow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

12. cargasm66

cargasm66
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

A Seattle-based photographer, Chase Jarvis, started a project called "Songs For Eating And Drinking." He brings all types of musicians together, like Stone Gossard (of Pearl Jam fame), Mudhoney, Rocky Votolato, as well as a bunch of Hip-Hop artists from the Seattle Area.

If you go to THIS page, and scroll down on the right side, click on any of the "#2.0" series for some great performances (many a capella) from Seattle's Best hip-hop stars. My fave performances are Macklemore, Grynch, and this one, from Geologic (of Blue Scholars).

(Also, Grynch's "Chemistry" EP is solid. Get it. Now.)

#12 cargasm66, Oct 22, 2009
  13. Brother J

Brother J
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Speaking of getting a bunch of artists together, I highly suggest checking out Blakroc. The album consists of the Black Keys (an incredible blues-rock group) getting together with 11 hip hop artists over 11 days to create the album. Highlights are Mos Def, Pharaoh Monche, Ludacris, Q-Tip and the RZA. It comes out on black friday I believe, and I can't wait.
    Here is the first single out, with Mos Def and Jim Jones.

Their website http://www.blakroc.com has a bunch of webisodes of the making of the album and interviews and stuff. Worth checking out.

With this upcoming album coming out, I am getting very excited for hip hop. The last while has seemed a bit stagnant overall, with the exception of a few releases. On the back of the Slaughterhouse debut, a revitalized Raekwon, Kid Cudi's album, and Brother Ali killing it again with Us (which everyone reading this thread should own), there are a ton of new releases in the next couple months that could make 2009 an incredible year for hip hop.
    Lupe hopefully dropping LASERS
    Wale's debut
    Tech N9ne KOD
    Cunninglynguists Strange Journey 2
    Gift of Gab
    Clipse finally releasing Till the Casket Drops
    Felt 3
    Rakim's 7th Seal (which has been talked about for YEARS)
    Canibus' Melatonin Majik (hopefully closer to Rip the Jacker than a few of his other less than stellar projects in the last few years)

There is also the recent confirmation that Method Man, Ghostface and Raekwon will be teaming up for an album, with RZA's support. Last I read they wanted it out for early 2010. I have high expectations for this, and I hope they can pull it off.

#13 Brother J, Oct 23, 2009
  14. Raoul153

Raoul153
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Does anyone listen to the Problemaddicts?

I bought their album "The Dark Side Of The Oz" on the strength of a recommendation (and loving Pink Floyd) and it quickly became my favourite hip-hop album - really incredible lyrics and flow for a group that seem fairly underground.

I've also been listening (on spotify) to a compliation of stuff they appear on called "The Problemaddicts Present: The Guestlist" and some of the songs on that are incredible. Very little gangster-related subject material, which is great for me, as that's not the kind of rap I tend to go for.

15. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Problemaddicts are great, I download a lot of underground hip-hop and most of it disappoints but these guys were quality. They attempt to do something like a concept album without the pretentiousness, and it's really fucking good.

Not sure if this is the place for this, so feel free to smack me down, but: I have a college radio show every Saturday, 8-10 pm. I and my roommate are co-DJs; he comes through with new tracks and commercial hip-hop (e.g. Jeremih, Drake, Wayne) and I play the older stuff and the classics (Method and Red, Nas, Blackalicious, etc.). Check it out if you want - it should be playable through iTunes by clicking "Listen Live". Again, delete if necessary.

16. Proverbs

Proverbs
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Playin in the Wind - French Montana

So this kid French Montana used to make songs with Max B before he got sent to jail. Some of Max's stuff was catchy, but French just sucked and everyone knew it. Then I heard this song of Frenchies was getting some attention around Harlem and such so I checked it out and... maybe it's just the beat, but this song is on the every day playlist for a lil while.

#16 Proverbs, Oct 25, 2009
  17. theking23

theking23
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Weezy is releasing a mixtape on Halloween called No Ceilings. It's the same style as Da Drought 3 or Dedication 2 (my favorite Wayne albums) where he raps over all the popular beats at the time.

Here's him over Run This Town:

Here's Wasted and Swag Surfin as well.

#17 theking23, Oct 26, 2009
  18. charlieconway

charlieconway
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

This is definitely where he's at his best. I haven't heard him like this since the upgrade u freestyle.

19. burned ice cube

burned ice cube
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Thought I would throw out a little old school bay area rap. Ahh, the glory days before the whole "thizz" era.

#19 burned ice cube, Oct 26, 2009
  20. burned ice cube

burned ice cube
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Couple more, since those first two put me in the mood

#20 burned ice cube, Oct 26, 2009