Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

An Athlete, An Actor or a Rockstar.................

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mike Ness, Jan 27, 2010.

?

Read the post first. Would you rather be a famous

1. Actor

73 vote(s)
    32.6%
  2. Athlete

61 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. Rock Star

90 vote(s)
    40.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

An athlete, an actor or a rock star. My buddies and I have played out this scenario many, many times. If you could choose from the big three of celebrity royalty which one would you choose?

The parameters were pretty simple. The actor would be a well respected Oscar winner that has been popular since he/she was younger. (Johnny Depp, Sean Penn) You would have been linked to many famous starlets as well as commanding the 20 million dollar a film paycheck.

The athlete we went a little bit out of scope, you couldn’t be like a Michael Jordan or Barry Sanders (you were not going to be the best of ALL TIME) we felt this would be to tempting to pick because of the legacy you would leave. The examples given for this field were David Beckham, Derek Jeter, Reggie Miller, ect….you would be an excellent hall of fame athlete but not the best ever or best all time.

Rock Star followed the Athlete scope in that you are not going to be granted “Beatles-esque” like status. The idea was to be more like an Eddie Vedder or Bono, rich beyond your wildest dreams respected in your field, but c’mon you can’t be Mick Jagger. Who wouldn’t have picked that??

I found that my friends that played an instrument or were athletes when they were younger seemed to have stayed in their childhood dream. I picked an actor, the idea of playing pretend for 40 million a year and banging the hottest chicks on the planet was irresistible. Also you can be an actor well into your sixties, athletes call it quits by 35-40 and I’m not sure how fun it is to be a rock star when you’re forty. I mean you’re married with kids, and you can’t party every night when you’re forty??

My friend who chose the athlete pointed out privacy. Tom Brady can easily vacation overseas without being swarmed, when Brad Pitt can’t even but coffee in Japan was his point.

FOCUS:
    Anyway have at it, what would you choose, a rock star and actor or an athlete??

2. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Athlete, no doubt. Yeah, you retire by 40--what exactly is the problem with that?? If you're an athlete of that caliber you still have "fuck you" money by then (especially once endorsements are factored in) plus there's always coaching and TV.

3. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Too many athletes can't enjoy their money when they are retired because of the beatings they took in their career. Pretty much every sport is like this.

Actors have more world known success and like you said are going to be swarmed more often than not. A football player, hardly anyone knows what his face looks like, so they can get away with being in public.

Rock star is probably the worst except for the fact it is probably easiest to get laid without it popping up in the news everywhere that you are a whore/manwhore.

I went with actor because you can work whatever schedule you want, take time off, and its hard to bomb out into a B-level or C-level star without making a shit ton of bad flicks. Pacino still gets decent work and he's done nothing but shit films for ten years.

4. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I went with athlete simply because I would love to play baseball every day for a living. I could make the league minimum and still be happy.

Also, I love that I've seen Barry Sanders mentioned as the best of all time more than once on this forum since I joined.

5. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I said actor.

Making $20 million a film and having great success in my field would be pretty sweet. I could do it until I am old, and I'll have the opportunity to entertain millions of people. Not to mention that, based on the perameters, I'd be an oscar winner, so I wouldn't have to do shit like Kangaroo Jack to make my money and I could pick the projects I wanted in order to focus my attention on more meaningful and creative pursuits.

Also, as long as I don't kill someone, I'm probably cool with the police in nearly any situation (I say OJ got off because he was an athlete and an actor).

6. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Rock star, all the way.

I've never had any interest in playing sports. Doing it for money would just make it that much more of a chore.

Rock stars, when they are sane and sober, have it made. Think Gene Simmons, Madonna, etc. Sure, they have their controversy. And they've had their fun drinking and messing with drugs, but it's never gone out of control. They use their talent and instinct to put on fantastic shows and run multiple successful businesses.

Actors have the same benefits of rock stars, but I firmly believe that all actors are nuts. Look at Tom Cruise. He's so successful and admired; he fires his publicity team, hires amateurs, and BANG. Out comes the crazy because they don't have the skill to keep a lid on that kind of instability.

All the more reason to be a rock star, baby.

7. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Easy one for me, an actor. In the scenario given, you can probably pick and choose your projects. Feel like taking some time off? Just do it. There is no longterm contract tying you down. I would think that one of the downsides is not being able to go out and get some groceries or walk your dog without the paparazzi snapping pictures and feeling like you have to constantly be "on". Another problem, especially for a female, is the pressure to look a certain way. Sure, there are the Meryl Streeps who embraces aging and still manages to find good roles, and the Kate Winslets, who embraces her curves rather than fitting the hollywood stereotype, but they are more the exception than the norm.

Rockstar is a close second. To be honest, I don't know if I could handle the rock and roll lifestyle. I would probably end up being a cliche. Or dead.

The problem with being an athlete is the beating that your body takes which can cause problems down the line. Plus you are tied to the sport and the seasons and can't just take some time off when you are feeling rundown (unless you are Brett Favre). You have a limited shelf life and need to take advantage while you can. And once you blow through your massive piles of income you made while playing, your options for making more are kind of limited.

8. Senna Vs. Prost

Senna Vs. Prost
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I picked actor, but I'd rather be like Joe Ezsterhas, loaded, out of the public eye, and still banging Sharon Stone

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Rock star, hands dow. Not just for my herculean love of music and rock in general, Not only the fame, the fortune, the parties, the leather pants, etc. but you're an artist that performs their own work. You work entirely under your own supervision, and it's a license to do whatever you want.

In otherwords, it's a license to be Motley Crue, and that is a pretty awesome fucking thing. I'll skip on the heroin, though. Being a prison of fame is cullshit, and a rock star is living proof of that. I couldn't think of a thing I'd want to be more in life.

10. pterodactyl

pterodactyl
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Athlete, specifically baseball player.

Not as taxing on your body like a football player would be and not as well known as NBA players are. (in certain cities)

One of my buddies is a professional pitcher and was in town this past weekend before he goes off to spring training. The stories and amount of tail he said players pull was amazing. Plus if you're in certain markets you can pretty much enjoy your life without being hounded by fans/paparazzi, but going out to clubs/bars you don't really have to worry. You just call them ahead and let them know you're coming and they take you straight to VIP, then parade girls into your VIP room all night.

11. Bourbondownthehouse

Bourbondownthehouse
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Rock star. There is too much pressure to be a role model on the other two. Think about it, Tiger Woods fools around on his wife and gets crucified. Gene Simmons on the other hand literally says "I'm the guy that fucked your sister" in a promotional add for his tv show and everyone loves him for it. That being said, rock stars are a far cry today from what the used to be. Nobody destroys hotel rooms, passes out on stage a la Keith Moon, or anything of that nature. Even country singers of yesteryear out-partied rock stars of today. I still have to go with rock star though, just let it be known I'd do Keith Richards proud.

12. Crazy Wolf

Crazy Wolf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Actor. Not the same stresses as an athlete or rock star, gives you more time to do unrelated things while still having a sizable fortune and, assuming you're any good some respect. Hell, even if you're terrible, you at least have camp value. I don't think anyone can ironically appreciate Nickelback.

13. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

David Beckham is recognizable worldwide because the rest of the world eats, breathes, and shits soccer.

Focus: Actor. Not only would I get to play dress-up in the movies, I would also get to wear lots of shiny on the red carpet.

14. fleafly

fleafly
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I would choose a Rock Star. I love music and have always dreamed of being on stage. Sadly I have no talent so it's a dream that won't come true. If you are smart you don't have to get yourself into a constricting contract so you can have the freedom you want.

Plus I think the stories you would have from being a rock star would be better than you would have with either of the others.

15. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Actor, hands down. $20m/movie? Sign me up. I'm too lazy to put the necessary work in to be an athlete and while rock star may sound appealing, life on the road would get old pretty fast.

16. Muney

Muney
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Actor

I suck at playing any instrument and i'm not really a big fan of crowds. With an athlete, half of your year is gone because of the sports season. You cant just get up one day and spend your money by flying to some island and stay for as long as you want.

Being an actor you can pick when do to movies, and then piss off and spend your money.

17. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Actor, for pretty much the reasons other people have already listed. Furthermore, whenever I wanted to take a break from being a movie star to actually enjoy my profession I'd be able to do stage acting between films.

18. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think that is one of the major drawbacks, but it seems like there are some who don't have it that bad. I have to wonder how much of the publicity is invited by actors. I mean, you give them something to write about and they are going to follow you. If everytime people follow you, you are doing nothing more exciting than getting your tires rotated and buying celery, eventually they will stop, right? If you are always out drunk, strung out, and getting in public fights with your girlfriend (a la Lindsey Lohan) you are just asking for it. More private stars seem to be able to enjoy a more lowkey life. But I guess seeing just the general public glance at you, recognize you, whisper to their friends and point at you would become really really annoying.

19. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rockstar. I already play guitar so it seems I'd be more suited to that lifestyle. If I actually practiced religiously I'd play really, really well. But I can't write a song for shit. Being on stage is fine. Plus the power. You could move that audience in any direction you wished. Fucking Axl "nut clamps" Rose can fart in the mic, then storm off stage and a riot ensues. I'm not power mad in the least, but a sizable crowd of even 500 there, hanging on your every word and note? That's pretty cool. To create something that people connect with, that makes them emote and empathize is a wonderful thing. To me, that is the pinnacle of art. That means you performed your craft well; which would be tantamount over any of the other ego fluffing that comes with notoriety.

Who the fuck am I kidding? Bring on the hoors!

If a celebrity wants seclusion and anonymity, they can get it. At least for the most part. They can afford to get whatever they want. You don't have to dine at the hotspots, vacation on St. Barts, or shop on Rodeo. They absolutely invite the attention. Hell, that's half the reason most of these people are in the line of work they are. If I did have the luck of a TMZ campout on my lawn, I'd milk that shit Keith Moon style. Dress up like a pirate just to go down the street for some stamps.

20. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm going to go with athlete on this one - tabloids tend to not give as much a shit about athletes unless they invite it by dating real celebrities. That, and little kids are far more excited to see their favourite sports team play than their favourite actor (mostly because their favourite actor is a cartoon). And, although there's going to be a fair share of vapid star-fuckers following you around, I think you'd mostly be away from the extreme shallowness and materialism of Hollywood.

Double edged sword, though - people who claim to not care about celebrity culture have passions for and against athletes that would make "leave Britney alone" girl blush.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.