Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

American Pickers

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Guy Fawkes, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Another great show brought to us by the fine folks at the History channel.

The first few episodes started off slow but the episode I saw last night warranted a thread here.

Basically American Pickers are two friends and business partners working out of IL that dig through garages, barns, and houses of junk collectors looking for pieces of "Americana" that are oh so valuable to some people nowadays.

Some of the shit they find and people they meet are mundane but last night they met this crazy dude in PA who has a fucking underground fort stuffed with antiques. He literally started digging and expanding tunnels around his house when he was in his teens and hasn't stopped yet (he's in his late 40's now I guess). Every tunnel had all sorts of antiques jammed against and sometimes making up parts of the walls and ceiling. Fascinating.

Thoughts on the show?

2. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This show is weird for me. I really enjoy the show, but I don't like the two guys. I have worked the last 10 years in high end antique stores and have dealt with people just like them for too long. The difference is I get to see people like them trying to sell their items and trying to screw people on that end.

What I like about the show is the people they visit. The guy who built underground passages and rooms was amazing. I would love to go there and explore that place.

3. snobes

snobes
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I really like this show, it's like instant gratification Pawn Stars or Roadshow without the Granadmas. Most of the stuff is kinda cool. Plus, I know a few old farmers that have a ton of old shit in thier barns. Although, I doubt I would ever pay what the guys sell that stuff for.

I've seen maybe 3 times they find old cars and never buy them. I'm suprised they can't sell them as is, or fix them up and make some cash on them.

Is it just me, or if these people that have all this stuff just Horders:Shed Edition

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I haven't seen this bunker episode but I say fuck this show. It is a knock off of Pawnstars with the added benefit of a fat bearded plank of wood and an extremely annoying nasely douche as host. Unlike the infectious laugh from the guy on PawnStars, the skinny guy's laugh makes me want to drop a fucking antique anvil on his head. The crackpots they visit are fun to watch in that Hoarders sort of way but that's about it. I think Im really just pissed at The History Channel's constant UFO Files and Monster Hunter marathons. Can we get back to 23 hours of Hitler footage?

5. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When I watch the show I'm constantly wondering if these guys are wealthy or not? I know they make a killing on some of the stuff they buy $75 spent = $1,500 resale but a lot of what they peddle seems to be $20 profit oil cans, posters, signs, etc.

Seems like a ton of effort for very little gain.

Also I'd like to see some of the restoration efforts that go into some of the larger items. It always amazes me how something that looks like complete shit can look after you apply a little elbow grease.