Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

American Idol Season 10

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by shegirl, Jan 20, 2011.

1. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I don't know if it's the new judges or not but I laughed my ass off last night and heard some quality coming out of Jersey. I thought Steven Tyler would be, I dunno, not how he is. You can tell just how passionate the guy is about music. And Jenny from the Block? Shit I figured she'd be terrible, stuck up and totally stiff. She is the exact opposite. I was quite surprised.

What do you guys think?

2. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am almost ashamed to admit that I loved the new judges. I loved Steven Tyler so much when he was getting into the song and doing backup for that male singer, you can tell that the guy really fed off of his energy. Plus he has the guts to tell them if it isn't their thing. And J Lo I expected to HATE HATE HATE. But I didn't at all, maybe she has just managed to keep her inner bitch in check for one day. I also liked that she stood up for the contestants that she liked. I wanted that "bringing Liza Minelli to the pop world" chick to make it, and she pushed for her to get through when you know Randy was ready to send her away.

I think they are really gunning for a younger winner this time around. It seemed like the majority of the contestants they showed are still in high school.

So, I was watching this out of curiousity expecting it to be the season where I could FINALLY give up my American Idol addiction, but I don't think that will be the case.

3. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Glad I downloaded this a day after it premiered, as I got to skip the first 10 minutes, which was nothing but an intro of American Idol sucking its own dick. (And it took an entire 21 minutes to get to the bad auditions, the main reason anyone watches the damn show)

Anywho, I'm going to disagree with mya and shegirl; I thought this was a significant downgrade in terms of the judges, and overall, the episode was boring. I actually had a hard time just sitting through the whole thing.

Melting Face Zombie Steven Tyler was enthusiastic and fun, and a nice surprise, but he is a supporting judge. If it were him and Randy propping up the lead, Simon, that would be a strong judging cast. But instead, it's two decent judges and one absolute zero, Jennifer Lopez, who somehow managed to be worse than Kara AND far less entertaining than Paula.

I honestly can't get over how Lopez literally added nothing to the show, and only detracted with her pointless comments. Total waste of money and a chair. They really needed an articulate, cruel, confident judge, and they don't have that.

I'll give it another episode or two to see if they shape up, but otherwise, it's the end of me watching American Idol, even for the preliminary rounds.

4. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Gotta go against the ladies with this one, too.

I tried to like it. I tried to watch as Steven Tyler injected a little bit of energy into the otherwise dull and useless show that this has become. But the truth is that while the show was always a karaoke contest, it's now a bad karaoke contest, headed up by mostly boring talking heads.

Sure, there are still the stand-out singers who have talent and charisma, and the sob stories that accompany people you like to see succeed. But the best part of the beginning episodes--the people who completely tank--came up short for me. I just don't care anymore. I'm not alone, either. Ratings came in 13% lower than last year, the largest drop in the show's history.

I know the girlfriend will watch this show until the end, and I'll probably check in from time to time, but mostly I'll just be drinking a beer and playing darts like I've done the past two nights. Whatever entertaining aspects of the show were there have just been replaced by a sad crew of people--singers and judges--who are seriously grasping at straws.

It had a good run, but it's time to hang it up.

5. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The kid last night with the big hair who sang "Bohemian Raphsody" was on point. I half-expected a joke performance but he was excellent.

6. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

That was one of two of the best parts of last night. When he said that's what he was going to sing I just thought oh dude no, but he busted it out and it was awesome. Talk about a tough song to sing. Yikes.

The second bast part was that chick bringing her dad in who was Randys former HS football coach. Pretty cool to see Randys reaction.

7. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, after that second episode, I'm out.

And is it just me, or is there more time spent on the city they're visiting, meaningless intros, and backstories, and less on the actual auditions this year? Also, there seem to be more "good" auditions and far fewer hilariously bad ones. Unless it's my imagination, both are major mistakes by the producers.

8. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One of my friends got the go to go to Hollywood, so if she goes any further I'll probably take a watch. I just don't know how this show is still around.

9. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Man, that tottering out the traumatic brain injured fiance was an uncomfortable and awkward moment. That may have been a new level in patronizing from American Idol. And the guy wasn't that great of a singer to boot. I am sure he is a stand up guy and all that, but your sad backstory shouldn't mean you get a pass on singing in a singing contest. And yep, I am sure I am going straight to hell for feeling that way

I didn't like the girl who sang the Adele song. She was doing so many vocal "tricks" that I couldn't even tell if she had a good voice.

There were a couple on the show I did like though. The candidates that we have seen so far seem more talented than the tops from last season. Still not hating the judges.

10. uzisuicide

uzisuicide
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The Harvard graduate who works in the White House was only marginally attractive and a decent singer...until I found out she's a Harvard graduate. Now, she makes me hott.

Oh, and speaking of which...I wonder how many of the female contestants Steven Tyler has plowed so far?

11. Dmix3

Dmix3
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll agree with the first sentence, but saying that guy wasn't that great of singer is just ridiculous, Chris Medina KILLED it. I hate American Idol and only watch the auditions for the train wrecks and I'll watch from now until that guy is eliminated or wins it all.

Here's the video for anyone who's just coming out of a bomb shelter or coma, since this guy has been everywhere this morning.

#11 Dmix3, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  12. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Well fucking great now I'm crying AGAIN. Screw you Dmix. DAMMIT. I agree with her first sentence too it was a very akward moment. I also agree with what Dmix said about the audition, he nailed that song and it's a hard song to sing with the high to low pitch changes.

I find it interesting we're seeing so many young kids this season, let alone that most of them can sing.

Also, like Mya I'm still not hating the judges. The only thing I've found weird about them so far is Tylers constant pedo remarks. Weirdo.

13. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

The Cowboy, John Wayne, I would do naughty things to him. I'm not a fan of country at all, or big hats, or Wrangler jeans and big belt buckles but holy shit did he make me tingle. I'm not even sure why. He sang, he was good, blah blah blah...then they brought his parents in and his Mom started to cry. When he gave her that big cowboy hug, I melted. Come to me Cowboy, I need a ride.

Jenny From the Block looked like they'd pulled her hair back so tight it hurt to think. Rumors are circling that she's all pissy because Tyler is getting more camera time and is liked more. I believe it because I'm really loving him and his brand of humor, pedo comments aside of course.

14. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So far, the only thing worth talking about--hell, that genuinely grabbed my attention--was fat Seth Rogan who ended the last show. My girlfriend was laughing when he stepped out, so I looked up from the computer to see what was going on. I had no hope when he raised his mouth piano to get in tune.

Then he wailed. He owned that Ray Charles song. While he was singing, I was watching, and was actually entertained. The fucking guy looked like he took the time out of his busy hacky sack-laden schedule to come try out and he's head and shoulders above every other mouth breather that's come through (vagina-tingling cowboys included).

15. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Last night had it all, a chick that sounded like Nora Jones, an Adam Lambert singalike and a kid with Turrets. Next up, Hollywood, tonight. Woo!

16. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When the Turrets kid showed up, before he started talking about what was wrong with him, I turned to my wife and said "helllooooo fetal alcohol syndrom!" Right after I said that, he started talking about his dad dying of a drug overdose. She glared at me and I go "well I still say he looks retarded." Shortly thereafter he said he had asperger's.

I hated myself last night.

17. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am surprised that they had the balls to cut Chris Medina (the kid with the saddest story of the brain damaged fiancee) because the truth is, he wasn't that great of a singer. The other truth is, people have gotten through on much less in season's past. And I can't believe that he sang fucking Fix You, of all songs. Anyway, glad he is gone, he didn't deserve to make it based on his voice and that is supposed to be what matters.

Still liking the new judges, but didn't like the big J Lo breakdown. We get it, she is supposed to be the nice one, they could have left that little segment out. Steven Tyler may be creepy at times, but you can tell that he loves music. I loved Simon, but you could practically see his mind working about what type of artist they would be, how to market, how much they would sell, what target demographic they would connect with, etc. Steven seems to just be in the moment at times, enjoying the artistry. Right or wrong, I still appreciate it at this stage.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I wasn't sure what to expect from Tyler as a judge, but I have to admit that he's my favourite by far.

He's honest without being unnecessarily cruel, he's coming across as completely genuine, and he seems to more in touch with the singers than the other two.

Sure, he's in his 60's and a raving horn dog, but I would expect no less from him.

I can only imagine the off-camera shit that's going on, especially after seeing the blatant (and somewhat creepy) flirting that went on during the auditions.

19. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I watched my first episode of this ever the other day with my Father in Law.

Second person I see, Carson Higgins, went to my high school. Pretty nifty.

20. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Upright bass? Awesome. This guy is the only reason I'm going to watch this season. He's a true musician up against mere singers. I'm really interested to see what else he has to offer.