Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

American Horror Story

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Slambrarian, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Slambrarian

Slambrarian
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Anyone watching? Anyone?

I find this show pretty creepy and I have a strange fascination with it. It's the only show I try to watch at it's actual time - most others I just download and watch when I have spare time.

I love all of the creepiness and all of the questions about the characters, etc. But, I do not like any of the family, the mom is boring the dad is a douche and the daughter - ugh, she is so angsty and annoying. Everyone else? I love. Especially the neighbor(Constance), the old/young maid & all the previous owner ghosts.

Anyone else?

2. DaVoN

DaVoN
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I was extremely surprised this didn't have a thread on it already but I figured that show just didn't hit it off with you guys.

I've loved it since it started. One of the episodes was a lil too slow for me (can't remember if it was the 3rd or 4th one) but it is doing a great job of making you ask questions and then giving you some very straightforward answers for them. I definately agree with you about the family though. I can't stand the mom so much, everytime she opens her mouth I want to slap her. The dad is a douche but I don't think we are supposed to like him so good acting?

I especially like how much they are telling you. I'll spoil this part for people who might start watching it now and don't want to be spoiled.

I really like how the first episode makes you ask all these questions about the origin of the house and then the next 2 episodes, TELL YOU. They could've done the shitty thing and dragged out the origins for years but instead came out and said "This is why the house is creepy. Now lets move along to the creepy" Again with Tate, you learn something about him and it makes you question what happened. Next episode, HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED. Really liking it. I read somewhere that each season would be with a new family in the house. Albeit if you die on the property, you aren't necessarily gone from the show. Gives it a chance to stay fresh and also keep the main characters. (Dad/Mom/Daughter)

3. Yukon Cornelius

Yukon Cornelius
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

My satellite provider doesn't carry FX Canada, so no American Horror Story for me.

4. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The first few episodes teetered between engrossing and annoying. So many characters, past and present, trying to figure out who's who, from when etc. But last night's episode was solid.

5. mad5427

mad5427
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I posted about this show in the recommend a show thread a couple times. It's a very well done show so far. The balance between the past and present is getting better and better. They're keeping it suspenseful and are giving enough info to make things make more sense.

Also, I'm loving how they are showing multiple levels of scary. Supernatural and everyday life problems and how they are intertwining. This is fast becoming one of my favorite shows that's on right now. No idea where they are going which is nice and it's allowing me to just enjoy the ride.

Every character has their flaws, both alive and dead. The sheer volume of amazing actors and actresses is also nice. I've never been a huge horror fan, but this is engrossing and it's making me want to delve deeper into these character's back stories.

What is this house doing and why? Why are the spirits stuck there? How many are there? Which are good, if any, and bad? Who will be helpful, if any. Will all the alive people end up dying and become spirits at the end of this season and become ghosts who haunt the family who comes in next season. This has so many possibilities and I have absolutely no idea how or where they could take it. Very refreshing.

6. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm surprised Scootah didn't tell us he got his big acting break on this show.

[​IMG]

7. Slambrarian

Slambrarian
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

While the latest episode didn't trill me, I did like the Black Dahlia angle. Also, there sure are a lot of ghosts stuck in that house. It's going to be too crowded soon - they have to stop making more, it's getting crazy.

Also, I liked the twins by 2 different daddies angle AND that Ben (the dad) saw the maid as she really was. That was cool.

Also, the daughter wasn't in this episode, so I guess it was better than I thought.

8. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not sure I actually enjoy this show because of the show, I watch it with a girl that jumps at everything is all over me.

I'm not usually critical of shows, I love all the actors, love the maid - both of them (young maid does a voice on Family Guy), love Tammie Taylor, I love Ben, I love Tate. I love everyone character they've introduced on the show besides Violet not because of the actress. I hate every single "I hate my parents" storyline ever. I feel like it is easy, and they never really get into it about why the child actually hurts. She's a teenager, who really gave a fuck about anything their parents did as a teenager. Maybe its just me.

The biggest problem is I'm not sure what the end game is. I feel like they're just going to keep tossing shit (ghosts) in the mix. They're also slow to establish some ghost rules which the only one we know for sure is that you die in the house you're there. I have a theory that seems possible is that after you fuck one of them, they can kill you. Or maybe they can kill you beforehand. Still not sure.

9. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The show has grown on me. It's taken on a bit of Twin Peaks meets Stephen King. Glad I stuck with it.

10. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dude, they can definitely kill you beforehand. The fucked up baby killed the 2 gingers in the opener. Tate killed the 2 gay guys. Tate killed at least one of the home invaders. The fat nurse who was drowned in the tub killed a home invader I think. Lots of people have been killed by ghosts in that place.

11. bean

bean
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Next Season:
    According to showrunner and co-creator Ryan Murphy, that was exactly the intent. In fact, one of the biggest shockers of the entire season is what he had to say about it after it was over, during a question and answer session with reporters yesterday: American Horror Story was packaged from the start to be an anthology series. Season 2 will feature a mostly-new if not entirely new cast, setting, storyline, and horror. It won’t even be a house.

“Every season of the show will be a different haunting. That’s always been the plan. Every season of the show will have a beginning, middle and end, and all new characters and setting.

“There are all kinds of different American horror stories to tell. There are serial killing stories, prison stories, true crime stories…Each year of the show is designed to be a little miniseries unto itself. The only thing we’re not open to doing is a season on vampires.”
    <a class="postlink" href="http://scifimafia.com/2011/12/whats-next-for-american-horror-story/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://scifimafia.com/2011/12/whats-nex ... ror-story/</a>

Called it.

12. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thank God they're not going to do vampires. I'd rather have a 24/7 Foster the People channel than another vampire series on TV.

All in all, Im glad I hung in there with AHS. But FX really hasn't disappointed me. The Shield, Sons, Justified are all among my favorites.

13. StayFrosty

StayFrosty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

FX has done a lot of good series.

I just got into this show after seeing this thread. The first few episodes raised way more questions than they answered, but the answers are starting to come (I'm on Ep6). Very good scare stuff, and some occasional gallows humor. (Who you calling a pig, asshole?)

14. StayFrosty

StayFrosty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Also, can anyone tell me what the whistling theme was that played during the high school shooting? I know I've heard it before somewhere...