Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Amazingly Simple Home Remedies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Indiana, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Mosquito bite, bee sting, wasp sting?

Take some baking soda and pour enough vinegar into it to make a paste. Put that on the bite, it'll dry and flake off. When it does, no more sting.

2. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wet tobacco will also extract the venom.

Alton Brown suggested you put your bbq grill racks in the oven and turn it to clean.

This is a great idea if you like a house full of smoke.

3. Allord

Allord
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The Nightmares of children with a 30" Dildo
    And that's where your post becomes completely irrelevant to mine. You're talking about regular i-have-to-build-up-a-coating-of-grease cast iron cookware. I'm not.

It's equivalent to me talking about the merits of hollow-point bullets and you come in and correct me by talking about how full metal jackets perform. Non sequitur.

EDIT:
    Dammit man, you're not supposed to tell them it's a trick. You're loading natural selection, you are. DOES IT TICKLE YOUR PICKLE TO PLAY GOD?!?!

4. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Another use for baking soda: Put an open box in your fridge and freezer, it'll 'soak' up any bad smells if you have them. Just change the box every couple months or so.

Edit: Hell, I think you can put a box just about anywhere that has bad or musty smells and it'll go away. Sprinkling a little in your shoes also works.

5. Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

If you don't want to do the dishes right after cooking, you can delay it indefinitely by sticking your dirty dishes in the fridge. They won't smell, or get in the way of the sink that way.

If you dont want to get the dishes dirty in the first place, line the bottom of your pan with aluminum foil before cooking.

6. Disgustipated

Disgustipated
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you suffer from hayfever or a congested nose, this works wonders. Getting past the ick factor is the biggest block.

Mix a teaspoon of salt into lukewarm water. Inhale it through your nose and out through your mouth. It'll wash the pollen/assorted crap out of your sinuses.

If you try it with cold or hot water, good luck to you.

7. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A couple teaspoons of cayenne pepper in hot water will take care of you sore throat if gargled.

Will also clear up any congestion

8. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I do this to all bags in my pantry, stale snacks shit me bad.

Dented a timber floor or really any dented timber, get a moist paper towel, place it over the dent and run a hot iron over it, the dent will in most cases pop out.

Kitchen crack: After you have finely chopped your garlic place it in a cup with a few slugs of olive oil and put it in the microwave for about 40 seconds, you now have roast garlic infused oil. Mix in some tomato paste, herbs and a 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and you have awesome pizza topping.

#48 LessTalk MoreStab, Jan 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  9. Allord

Allord
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The Nightmares of children with a 30" Dildo
    Along the lines of LTMS's video (Which I still can't wrap my head around after the fifth viewing) here's a couple of other good ones.

Efficient T-shirt folding:

If you can get over the annoyingly squeaky woman, efficient potato peeling:

#49 Allord, Jan 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  10. Dyson004

Dyson004
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

This is actually from the old board's God Bless The Military thread, but I tried it last semester and it worked really well.

Blister on your foot?

Sterilize a needle and thread it. Lance the blister with the needle and thread attached, but you want to make sure you are lancing the blister so the needle travels parallel to your flesh, in other words, it enters one side and exits the opposite side of the blister, without stabbing the meaty part of your foot, just the part that is filled with fluid. Cut the thread while leaving a good length on both sides of the blister, maybe an inch to two inches, and the thread will wick the moisture away. Once fluid is gone, remove the thread, and the blister will not be painful anymore. Just keep it clean and it'll heal on its own.

11. Slambrarian

Slambrarian
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

This also works with dish soap, dishwasher detergent or laundry detergent instead of bleach. Plus, it makes your kitchen smell nice.

12. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Boiling bleach would be VERY BAD, only do this if you are about to leave your house and want to fuck up all your flatmates/pets.

13. Nitwit

Nitwit
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Whenever I come down with a raging case of horny and can't find a female remedy? I furiously apply a generous amount of Jergens to the affected area and it cures me right up.

14. LindseyBluth

LindseyBluth
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

If you get permanent marker on your microfiber couch, just put a little rubbing alcohol on a rag and blot it out. It takes the mark out completely!

My daughter just made a HUGE mark on our light microfiber couch with black permanent marker. I thought it was fucked, but my husband's coworker told him about this, so I tried it the next day and it took it completely out. I was amazed.

Another one (that may or may not really work) is vanilla on babies' gums when they are teething. My grandma used to do this to all of her children and grandchildren and swore by it.

15. Nettie

Nettie
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Lestoil

This stuff will work on anything. It will take road oil off your car, lipstick, ink, grease, anything out of clothes, etc. I *never* see it advertised, and the only place I can find it anymore is the hardware store.

My stepdad is a truck driver, mom uses it to get diesel fuel out of his clothes. My quasi-ex BF works as a lineman, and this removes grease, all the nasty stuff (except cable jelly, nothing gets that out), that he gets at work.

I can remember in high school washing lipstick & putting it through the dryer in the pants pocket of my jeans. Lestoil actually got all of the lipstick out, and doesn't bleach the fabric.

16. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    Stubborn oil stains on your garage floor? Just pour equal amounts of brake fluid and bleach on them. Does wonders.

Brake fluid can also be used for washing your car. First, soak a rag in brake fluid. Then, wipe an even amount on the entire car. Leave it sit overnight, then hose it down. Cleans the fucker right up.