Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Against the Grain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crown Royal, Dec 17, 2009.

1. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There's a curious point I've wondered about and I think someone else brought it up earlier in the thread.

How much of the the studio production, album creation, band promotion processes can really be attributed to The Beatles, that is exclusively John, Paul, George and Ringo. And not to say......Phil Spector, George Martin and Brian Epstein?

That wonderful "Wall of Sound" quality that people rave about - Phil Spector innovated that. The grueling, tireless band promotion - Brian Epstein. A good chunk of the overall record production and arrangements - George Martin.

I enjoy the music of The Beatles quite a bit and think that there is a lot of credit due there. A lot of it just gets misplaced, I think.

2. suapyg

suapyg
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I think the whole "who's really due the most credit for the Beatles" debate is fun to have, it's interesting and silly (given that the actual answer is "all of the above"), but the point I was trying to make is a little different. It's fine to say that you don't like them, and even to say things like, "ugh, I hate that sound - I wish people didn't like them so much so I wouldn't have to hear it all the time." Whatever, we like what we like, I don't care if you have crappy taste, that isn't the issue. What bugs the hell out of me is when people say something like, "I don't see what the big deal is, the Beatles/Jimi Hendrix/etc aren't so great."

Well, you don't see what the big deal is because you are genuinely ignorant of history. There's no shame in honest ignorance, but if you aren't educated on a subject, maybe you should shut the fuck up about that subject if you aren't asking for knowledge. There's no debating the impact of certain historical artists, regardless of subjective taste. If you don't understand why they had the impact they had, that is a matter of history and context, NOT a matter of taste.

So when someone makes the claim of actually practicing that art with the exact same tool as the person in question, for two decades, and STILL says something ignorant like that, it pisses me off because I feel like there's really no way to be an American playing guitar for 19 years and not to have learned something about Hendrix's place in history, unless you willfully ignored actual learning.

And I thought that little trick was reserved for the religious among us...

3. StayFrosty

StayFrosty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Stevie Ray Vaughan: Oh good God. Ok, dude, you love your Lenny. I just totally don't get his stuff. Was he a really good singer or something?

4. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Pink Floyd's "The Wall". Yes, it's a classic. No, I don't like it.
    Pulp Fiction (and anything else Tarantino that doesn't feature nude Salma Hayek)
    The movie "Swingers".
    Fad diets. Here's MY fad diet. It's called "Eat less, exercise more." It amazes me people would rather inject themselves with hormones or whatever than just cut their portion size and exercise.
    The obsession with the British royal family, Paris Hilton, Kim Kardashian or any of these other fucking idiots.

5. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I see Stevie Ray as a sort of Bach of the blues- he wasn't incredibly innovative, he just took the already established forms of the blues and did them really, really well and had a pretty sick tone to go along with it.

And when I was referring to the Beatles, I did sort of mean the whole collective effort. However, if they didn't actually have those 4 guys sitting there behind the glass, perfect and willing test subjects for some of the things that Martin and whatnot wanted to try, well... who knows.

Also, people can prefer BJs to vaginal sex? Like, that's a thing? Obviously a great BJ is going to be better than a sloppy vag, but presented with the best examples of both I would choose the pussy, and cannot understand why anyone would choose any different, and am now wondering if that makes ME the weird one now.

6. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yawn, it must have been hard to restrain yourself when someone posted about the most wonderfulest thing since your first ejactuation. And dude, learn to fucking read. I said much of rap takes talent, and that was the rap I thought was worst. Wait, no, it's clearly a lack of intelligence when people posted about disliking something you liked in a thread about finding popular culture unappealing. Get over yourselves.

7. SuperHans

SuperHans
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Harley Davidsons So you drop $30k, start dressing like a gay pirate, and now your no longer and investment banker, you're a 1% badass oulaw biker. Seriously?

I hate these things. They're loud, they go too slow, and half the retards on them don't have a clue how to ride them.

8. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

People that don't like rap music, that's cool. It's a different musical sensibility than other genres. But if it's because you think they're talentless or devoid of talent, allow me to link some songs that I think show different facets of the talent involved.

Using Lupe almost feels like cheating, but his sense of cadence and the lyrical density here is nonpareil. Those are both musical talents, and damn near impossible to replicate.

Want somebody who creates his own music without using samples? Something dark and heady? I'm mixed on TC, but this beat evokes a strong sentiment and feels cohesive not only internally but within the context of the album.

Maybe you like music that has a storyline. Maybe you like music that really digs its nails into the life of the artist. Confessional music. "Some days I don't wanna be seen/Some days I don't shower, I don't wanna be clean."

Oooooh, I know what you want. You want that relentless wordplay shit. BARS. I got you.

Perhaps you're not into that kind of thing. You like your music aspirational. With a strong message and good morals. It's ok, my friend, I have songs for you too.

Fine. You want vaguely emo music that you can roll a blunt to? Here you go.

#88 Nom Chompsky, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015