Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Against the Grain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crown Royal, Dec 17, 2009.

1. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

iPads. I get that they can be good for lawyers/businessmen(and the baby's doctor actually showed us some pretty cool graphs on it when we went in for her one-year-old checkup), but now they've essentially become the hipster laptop that everyone "has to have." Its fucking infuriating.

And what the FUCK are little kids doing playing on these things?!? Have you failed so much as a parent/person/in life that instead of actually engaging your child every once in a while you throw him a shiny box and ignore him? Go die in a fire. At the barest minimum buy him a book to read. Fuck.

2. rachiii

rachiii
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Supertroopers: I get it, you're high, it's about weed, haha. But seriously, why have you all watched this 1000 times and WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO PLAY THE MEOW GAME?! Maybe a little amusing in high school, but we're adults now.

While I'm at it, Office Space. I get it, it was sort of funny the first time. I don't understand the need to watch 1000 time/joke about tps reports/flair/destroying the copier all the fucking time. It's a parody on all offices. Move the fuck on.

Finally, Skrillex and all of dubstep. If one more person tries to explain to me what dubstep is and why it's relevant, I think I might scream. Skrillex needs to bathe, cut his hair and stop putting out shitty music. I'm pretty sure I'll never understand why this has become a thing, so please stop trying to teach me.

3. JoeCanada

JoeCanada
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

An invitation for people to complain about trivial things? On the internet?? No, no, this will never catch on.

Focus: Skittles. Always thought they were weird. And I don't think they have them anymore, but Chocolate Skittles were comically bad.

4. AlmostGaunt

AlmostGaunt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was going to let this go because you are right about the pacing of the first 2 seasons of The Wire, but Thai food? Thai food is what God decided to eat once he realized that loaves and fishes are for poor people. That balance of spicy, salty, sweet, and sour is magic, if you can come across someone skilled enough to make it. Indian curries are good but have nowhere near the complexity of Thai curries, and that's without even getting into tom ka gai, or beef with basil, or any of the other awesome stir fries, soups, and salads that populate every corner of thai cooking. You have smoked enough crack to melt your tastebuds if you think Thai is a poor man's Chinese. Are you English, by any chance? Everyone I've met who doesn't like Thai food is English. Something about genetically deficient tastebuds leading to a preference for bland, mushy food, warm beer, and doughy girls.

Which reminds me of the Focus: England, and the English. Sophisticated charm? Dry wit? Last of the great colonial empires? Foundation of modern civilization? Fuck off. Let's face it: the weather sucks, the food is bad (mushy peas? Are you fucking kidding me? That's what passes for food? If you're past bottle feeding, you're past the need for mushy peas), the booze is worse (stouts that taste like rye bread blended with semen, gin which is good for aborting babies and precious little else), the women are fat and pasty, the Government has every urban centre under frighteningly Orwellian levels of surveillance, and the youth scene gave rise to Chavs. With the exception of Kasabian, nothing good has come out of England since 1978.

No offence.

Oh, and one more: the phrases 'that sucks dick' and 'cocksucker' when used in the derogatory sense. I'm on a crusade to take this back. Seriously, who doesn't appreciate a well sucked dick, or a skilled cocksucker? That this word has somehow been mauled, raped, and shackled to negative connotations is without a doubt the gravest miscarriage of justice being perpetrated in the world today.

Although, 'cuntlapper' has a nice ring to it.

5. guernica

guernica
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Heavy Metal

I can't understand what the singer is yelling. That's nowhere near enjoyable for me

6. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Lil Wayne- Not the biggest rap fan but I never liked this dudes lyrical skills or delivery style. The rest of the composition of his songs is average for modern hip hop. He was the hottest shit with everyone I knew a few years ago. The turn over rate in rap seems ultra fast, this dude still relevant?

Olives- In my mind if you want olives in a martini? Maybe some extra and make it dirty? You my friend, are mentally defective. I think this is why Mediterranean and middle easter people are so fucked up. They ruin everything they touch and picking them off pizza is worthless as their sweaty ball juice brine already has seeped into the rest of the food.

Dexter I like the show a lot though I only made it about 3 episodes into this last season before I faded out and started watching other shows instead. But the majority of people I know rave about it as the best show ever. It's solid, but has some glaring flaws that has always held it back in my mind from being truly great or an all time classic show.

Friends This show fucking sucks. Period. How Seinfeld could be mentioned in the first place let alone before Friends.

Question, is dubstep even that well liked? My little brother played me a few songs trying to get me into it. Sounded like disjointed ADD techno. Since I've not heard it outside of my stoner brother and South Park I assumed it was a niche thing like jam bands. A style of music annoying potheads like.

7. guernica

guernica
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Unfortunately, yes. I can't go drinking anywhere in the city without risking walking into a room that's playing this shit. Even one of my local pubs has dedicated an entire room to dubstep every Friday night. No wonder I don't go there.

They've even tried ruining songs from my favourite band. Fuck dubstep

8. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

Really? You're not even a little bit ok with this? (I love electronica, Drum and Bass and Dubstep are usually on my playlists, but it's music for people who enjoy recreational drugs, no question.)

#48 scootah, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  9. Stealth

Stealth
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I second Will Ferrell.

He was ok in A Night at the Roxbury.
    I can't stand the sight of him in anything else.

10. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

Coffee with cream and sugar. I don't understand why people put cream and sugar in coffee. Why would you buy a drink and then completely change its taste in every way? If you want caffeine, get a 5 hour energy, or a caffeine pill, or any of the many other ways one can take in caffeine. It just doesn't make sense to me that someone would buy a drink and then completely change its taste. If you don't like the taste, get a different drink.

Any Chocolate other than dark chocolate. Same points as above. Chocolate is delicious in and of itself, why completely alter it with piles of sugar?

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

UFC

It looks sloppy as hell for guys who are supposed to be experts in particular fighting styles. Most of the fights end up with blind swinging and hoping the other guy loses his balance first. Lame.

Here comes the butthurt...

12. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Football

I grew up playing it and watching it but it has changed dramatically in the last 3 to 5 years. It isn't football anymore, it is a hybrid of backyard two-hand touch football and football itself. There is such an emphasis on not hitting people in the head, helmet-to-helmet contact, and even incidental contact with the receivers that it has really taken away from the game. I hear arguments that we should take away the helmets or the face masks and that will cure the problem......if we do that, why not take away the pads and just start playing Rugby? To me, football is dead.

Ever see a NFL game live? That has to be one of the most dreadful experiences ever. There is absolutely no flow to the game with all of the T.V. timeouts. I suppose this goes for college ball as well now.

NCAA

What a crock of shit this is. You suspend a guy for selling autographs for $50 bucks each while you make millions off of him and won't let him earn any money? Then you have the stones to tell people that all of these conferences re-alignments is about competition and not money? Who the fuck are you trying to kid? The NCAA might as well be organized crime.

Hip Hop

As a teenager growing up, I liked some of the gangster rap that came out because it was new and never been done before. When Jay-Z first came out, he was fresh. Now every single artist coming out is a retread of a retread of a retread. Do something original.

Climate Activism

Ever have someone tell you how bad burning coal and oil are for the environment? Ever have them tell you that we should switch over to a completely wind and solar powered grid? Ever have that same person tell you that you should buy an electric car because of the emissions?

Yeah me too. In response, ever ask them if they took even the most basic of physics courses? It's amazing that even after explaining the most basic properties of electricity and power transmission to people they still don't understand what they are doing by advocating some of this. It's a shame that these people are so easily persuaded by stupid people.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Let's gut this fish:

Dubstep is not music. Dubstep is antimusic. It is the sound you try to push out but can't when a microphone feeds back. If you think that Dubstep is in ANY way listenable or dancey, then you have the receptive capabilities of Helen Keller.

Once again: NOT. MUSIC. End of story.

14. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

With reasoning like this, it kind of makes sense to me why you can't find a job. The pasta is the vessel for the sauce. How many times have you had spaghetti and talked about the spaghetti it's self? No, you talk about how good the sauce or the meat balls are.

What is people's obsession with taco shells? They are hard, have little taste and are shaped funny. You have to cover them with meat and cheese and vegies to make it edible. The same goes with nachos. If I wanted to eat tasteless triangles I would cut some out of construction paper. It would be way cheaper

I don't get rice. It is tasteless and white. You have to cover it with some sort of meat with a sauce/ stir fry like combo to make it edible.

15. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A lot of the people complaining in this thread seem to settle on the 'it sucks now when I watched it/listened to it/whatever', which is fine, but I think you have to at least acknowledge that when that shit was current it was fundamentally different from what was going on at the time and changed their medium permanently.

Anyway focus

Basketball: Antisocial morons flaunting their toughness yet cry whenever they're grazed. The dumb spectacle makes it hilarious that anyone takes it seriously - case and point anything the Miami Heat did since picking up Lebron, from their 'Championship Celebration' to them sulking when they lost to Dallas, or the guy who got arrested for having a firearm in the changeroom.

Soccer: Criticize soccer (or FOOTBALL/FUTBALL) and generally the response is 'dumb american pfft', 'You just don't understand it', or 'If it was shit, why would it be the most popular game?' - it's the most popular game because it's simple as shit and people in dirt poor shitstains can still play it - kind of hard for people in dirt fields to bounce a basketball or put on ice skates. Game is boring as shit to watch, paced like constipation, is tiebroken by pretty much luck alone, and somehow the fanbase still manages to be pretentious and insufferable at all times.

Jennifer Aniston: She's not hot.

16. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The original stuff like Burial's work is really good, but it's so different from the bullshit bro-step LOL BASS WOBWOBWOB bullshit that's trendy now that's sort of moot.

It's clearly getting big as they put watered down pseudo-bro-step in bad teen movie ads now.

17. PIMPTRESS

PIMPTRESS
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll second Jennifer Aniston, she looks related to Sarah Jessica Parker.

There are lots of things I agree with others on, one thing I would point out is Television. I don't watch it. I have it, I pay for it, don't watch it. I like to watch shows once there are a few episodes to stream. I hate commercials and I hate waiting for the next episode.

18. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ok, ok, ok. Jennifer Aniston has been mentioned a lot. Now, I'm by no means a huge fan of her, and I don't give a fuck about Friends or any other movie. But if you go and watch Horrible Bosses and don't want to fuck her, I'll let it go. But if you can watch that movie, and look at her objectively as a woman you've never seen before and not want to fuck her, I don't know what to say to you.

19. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

If the entire package isn't your thing then I won't try to change your mind. But if it's just the vocal style you describe that you don't care for, then I can find you metal with clean vocals.

20. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It sounds like John Williams conducting in a plane that's struggling to take off.