Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Ace Broadcasting Network

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Nettdata, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think, like Bald Bryan, she is only made funnier working with Adam. I downloaded her first podcast. While she can keep the flow going better than Bald Bryan on his movie podcast with that other asshat, her show barely made an impression. Not really funny, not really interesting. I think the people over at the Aceman's forums have figured out the itunes algorithm for getting a top podcast on itunes, every new podcast on his network magically shoot to the top of the heap. I mean she was number one on itunes for a week and they only had small clips released. This show is no where near good, though not terrible, just really meh.

I think she is funny on Corolla's show. Like this forum as soon as politics comes up though she becomes as funny as a log. Her righteous indignation on some subjects pisses me off.

The only podcast I have heard recently that was worth the while was Dana Gould's podcast. That dude is funny as fuck and insanely talented. He does sort of a normal shooting the shit podcast interlaced with some funny skits. I've listened to half of Penn Gillettes new podcast and it is decent, I think he is going for a more serious show. I think he could have some really cool guest.

2. Gatling

Gatling
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I saw Adam and Los Angeles radio talker Dennis Prager at their live Redondo Beach performance Saturday night (10:30 pm show). It was very enjoyable.

Prager did the podcast recently and the live show was much of the same. The two of them riffing on various topics --several more serious than ordinarily would be part of the Podcast. For example, Adam asked Dennis if he could go back in history would Dennis (who is a conservative Jew) kill Hitler or Stalin (eventually Stalin was the answer).

There was also a lot of joking around and the show had lots of laughs.

Overall I would recommend going to a live Adam show if he visits your town.

3. misnomer

misnomer
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

What's the story with Matt the Porcelain Punisher?

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just figured it was a typical radio show style running gag for one of the crewman. Did I miss something? Anyway Ace has been killing it lately. Ive not heard many interviews from that cute girl from The Office but damn she has a cute laugh and sense of humor.

5. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Agreed. Ace has really been on fire the past few weeks.

I'm still annoyed about the crappy selection of news stories, though; the last thing anyone wants to hear on a humorous podcast are stories of rape, murder, or worse yet, Allison's bullshit political beliefs. And normally Allison is a good, funny sidekick, but her own segment is usually the worst part of the show. (And that's with Adam trying to save it with some funny rants)

On an unrelated note, does any video exist of that "Retro Rock" parody Carolla did for The Man Show? I never saw that back in the day, but when he played the clip on the show, I was howling with laughter.

6. Gatling

Gatling
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I am the proud owner of the Sonny Carolla "it's just a waste of my time" ringtone.

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think Bald bryan's use of the drop is the only thing it has going for it. Stand alone, a little kid saying "it's just a waste of my time" would be funny to men who drive minivans while their wives are the bread winners. For a ringtone? Come on... I do think there are plenty of good Adam drops that would be ten times funnier. Who doesn't have that friend they could assign a "let's drink some beers and RAPE!" ringtone to.

8. Gatling

Gatling
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

All I know is that I was in a training session for our Firm's new software and my phone went off "it's just a waste of my time" and the entire room fell over laughing.

Got my money's worth and now I'm back to a regular ring.

9. Luke 217

Luke 217
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm usually not a fan of when Dana Gould comes in and does Huell Howser impressions,,, but I'm losing my shit listening to it today. I'm sitting here with tears running down my face.

"You like roller coasters motherfucker!"

10. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dana Gould is hilarious. The episode where he talked about "the new Eve" character in Planet of the Apes is one of my all time favorite Ace episodes. I had it on my ipod for 6 or 7 months and listened to it dozens of time.

11. Luke 217

Luke 217
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I always listen when he's on. He's great. But never seeing Huell Howser in real life, the skit never made sense to me. In today's podcast they actually described what Huell looked like, what his show was all about, why he was a fixture in SoCal tv... And then I found the comedy in it. And then Dana knocked it out of the fucking park.
    There's also the part where you think Dana Gould is a "clean" comedian in real life (even though he isn't) and then he's talking about Huell Howser filling his mouth with shotgun shells, lighting himself on fire, and waiting for the induction heat in his mouth to get hot enough to blow his head off..... And your like: Holy fuck that's crass, funny, a little nuts,,, and I can't believe it came out of Dana's mouth.

12. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ka-Fuckin'-Blooey! Jesus Christ, I don't think I've laughed that hard in a really long time. I'm glad no one walked by my office at that moment.

13. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, Dana Gould has always been a pleasant surprise on the podcast. I remember Ace ranting about how Gould was sneering and looking down upon him, at which point I thought the guy would never come back on the show. But whatever their issues they were, they worked them out, and the podcast is much better for it.

Allison is starting to really grate on me, though. I never thought I would type this, but at this point Bald Bryan adds more to the show than she does. I liked her a lot at first, but with her combination of poorly-chosen news stories, too much political bullshit, and opinionated, argumentative, uninteresting views, she often makes the podcast worse. Meanwhile, her funny quips and interjections have gradually evaporated over time. It doesn't help that Teresa Strasser is back as a frequent guest, either. She is even worse.

14. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Allison is fucking terrible, why anyone would voluntarily download her podcast is beyond me, even the "promo" clips they play during Ace's podcast are shit. Same goes for Acemans old lady's podcast but we all know why she gets to do one, I don't what Allison's excuse is.

15. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, Huell Howser is a total regional thing. I googled him after the second or third Gould appearance and found out what all the hype was about. Gould does sort of come off as a family friendly sort of guy, he doesn't really rely on scatological stuff like most comedians. A little more brainy and cerebral. I don't remember hearing Aceman saying anything about them being at odds but I have been listening more when Im distracted, zone out from the show more often, than when I used to listen to it on my dog walks. I may have missed it. Also, he was the voice of Gex the gecko, who'd kick the shit out of that giecco bitch any day of the week.

Im am starting to dislike Allison as well. Still her and Bald Bryan round out the show in the wayl Adam wants. But fuck, I think I about shut it off the other week when that one guest mentioned raising taxes to the 90% rate, because it worked in the 50's, during an Aceman rant on taxes. Allison said something along the lines of "please tell him" in a sort of "finally someone on my side that can set Adam straight..." kind of way. Also, having Teresa back has kind of highlighted Allison's weaknesses as comparing the two Teresa is funnier and quicker witted.

16. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It was a show they did together at an improv theater, in reference to the Guinness World Record that Adam had attained a month or two before. Gould questioned how they knew that Carolla's podcast was in fact the most downloaded, and Ace took that as an insult. I think Adam overreacted, based on the audio.

That is a weirdly awesome fact...even though Gex 64 kind of sucked.

I found it amusing that not a single one of them, not even the well-educated liberal Joel Stein, noted that this mythical "90% tax rate", which was originally uttered in a Michael Moore film, is complete horseshit. In reality, it was a 90% marginal tax rate on income earned over $300k in 1952 (according to an inflation calculator, the equivalent of $2.6 million today), after a bunch of deductions and other considerations. So if you made $350k back then on pure salary, not counting stocks, you would have to pay 90% on just that last $50k.

If you're going to make an argument about going back to an older tax system, at least understand what the fuck it was.

Everyone knows that Adam (although we agree on a lot of political and social issues) is poorly educated when it comes to history, economics, and government. But when he rants about these things, he is at least entertaining, persuasive, and uses common sense/life experience. When Allison talks about these things, she is shrill, annoying, condescending as hell, and most annoyingly, even more clueless about the basic facts than Adam is!

Someone needs to tell her to stick to weird/funny news stories, and shut her mouth on serious issues.

I would have laughed at this statement a year ago, but honestly, it's very close on their recent shows. They're both pretty awful.

17. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Man...you guys are harsh. I seriously never think about her that much. Most of her news stories are sent in from listeners FYI. If you go on and look at her news stuff you can tell that most of the time she's playing a character and not actually who she is. Only when they get in serious talks about her sometimes does she break it and you hear it in her voice. That and 1. I don't think Adam Carolla would want anyone as funny or funnier than him on a daily basis. 2. If they were that funny, that'd have their own podcast and not be working for Adam. 3. I wish Natasha Leggero would be on the show with him, but like I said, if they were that funny, they'd be on their own, like he is.

I'm dying to know how much Alison and Bryan get paid.

He has to have a chick on the show, who do you guys think would be better? Good to not be hated on, but not that good so she stayed?

18. Luke 217

Luke 217
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I always think the best newsgirl, or dropguy,, has to fulfill one task... Become a launching pad for the Aceman's thoughts and rants. All they need to do is toss that softball up in the air, and then get the fuck out of the way. I listen to the podcast because I like Adam, I don't listen because of Allison or Bald Bryan.
    The same goes for every other podcast I listen to, whether its Rogan, or Fitzdog, or Jefferies, or Bill Burr.
    The only exception to this rule is "Ace on the House",,, because Ray is fucking awesome.

With all that said, I don't hate Allison, but she has gotten worse over time. And I will never listen to her podcast based on the fact that the promos are fucking horrible. But maybe I'm not her demo.

19. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am not a fan of Allison, I really don't think she understands what is and isn't funny or interesting and I can always tell when Adam is just trying to salvage her with a "yes, and."

Bald Bryan, however, I think is hilarious. Not just in the drops, but he's really really good at playing off Adam and doing the roleplay stuff they do. He's funny, good timing, good instincts, good drops.

20. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I sort of think this factors in also. I love how when people criticize shows in general maybe 10% think "Maybe its not trying to appeal to me" and the rest just think "This fucking sucks." I wonder how many women like Allison Rosen, I'd venture to guess more than 50%. You don't become the number 1 podcast with dudes only.