Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Ace Broadcasting Network

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Nettdata, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If any of you listened to todays show he went into as much detail as anyone is gonna get, he felt that Allison had checked out of the show and had to make a change.

Although some of his reasoning sounded fairly shitty, she didn't like his book cover? The fuck? Then he says he doesn't want a bunch of yes men working for him? Which is it?

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

His point was she wasn't contributing enough to conversations and it seems he took particular umbrage with her clamming up about repping the Network's brand. The book cover example was supposed to explain both at once but the actual clip I agree wasn't the best. You wonder how many conversations he had laying out what he wanted from her, with her. I don't think Ive listened to a full Howard Stern show before. I didn't realize how much Adam was attached to that show's model. You wonder if he ever told her that. I did feel like it was totally awkward and it went on for more than half the show. What ever, time to get on with Gina Grad.

3. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree that's it's time to move on, bottom line it's free entainment that I enjoy listening to on my drive to work, bring on more DAG.

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Some one broke out all his reasons on his subreddit in a list format:

Any one of those individually (except for a couple) would be a fairly petty reason to fire someone. But in aggregate, I get it. While she may or may not like him personally, I just dont think she liked being professionally associated with him. I honestly think #3 above is reason enough to fire her. She wanted to reap the benefits of having a professional network work from but not wanting to be known for it. Thats shitty and a little callous on her part. Its not some corporate 9-5 gig. He signs the checks, you either need to get on board with the brand or move on.

By the way, this chick is around 40 years old. If she was 23 her attitude might be understandable, even excusable. But at 40?

5. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm currently half way through December, listening to the podcasts looking for signs and there really aren't any. That list is pretty interesting and makes sense. Trying to catch up.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

My public impression of Adam is that he isn't one to waste time on something if it doesn't advance his cause or make him money. That means that now he's made his decision, he's not dwelling on it, and is moving forward.

If she was doing something specific he didn't like, I get the impression that he would speak up and say something, or ask for things, and if someone said, "no" (like having his logo on her podcast), then he wouldn't make a big deal of it, but would file it away as a, "huh... interesting... I'm helping you make something of yourself using my pirate ship and it's resources and you're not reciprocating or showing respect/gratitude".

What he would do is instead flip that switch in his head and she'd be a "non-friend" rather than a "friend". As in, she wouldn't be a foe, but he wasn't going to go out of his way to help her any more because she wasn't being grateful for what he was providing.

So rather than bash her, or he just shut off all support, with no ill will or malice, and let her fend for herself.

I have no doubt that he made the decision and then put it out of his mind, because there is nothing to be gained by harping on it.

He's a smart guy, but he's not the best at dealing with or handling people.

I also find it hilarious that people don't get the "aggregate experience" thing. It's not always a single thing that causes the problem, it's death by a thousand cuts.

I just had to go through the same thing when I canned a guy yesterday... it was a general "doesn't fit in socially or technically" feeling more than anything... I couldn't just point to one single event and say "that's the reason". In the end, though, it was the right call and the team is already better for it.

7. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm a month late to the party but it looks like Larry Miller left the Carolla Network. Anyone know why?

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

From what I picked up, it's a couple of things...

Jeff Fox (Larry's producer on the podcast) left ACE to do his own thing. Apparently Adam made some offers, but they were unsuccessful.

Larry is loyal to Jeff, and wants to stick with him.

It sounds like everything is amicable, with no drama like there was with Alison Rosen leaving.

Couple that with the fact that Larry hasn't been the same since his accident, and just might not be a fit any more. I know I can't remember the last time I listened to his podcast and enjoyed it...

9. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You guys listen to the PO'd Cast? I'm not really super impressed despite the talent of the two. Adam and Dennis just don't seem to gel. Instead of two ranters revving each other up, Dennis just seems to deflect everything and barely keeps the conversations going or on topic. Doesn't seem like Dennis has any heart in it.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Huh... I had no idea that even existed... and I listen to the ACE podcast daily.... religiously. I can honestly say that I've heard every podcast he's ever done on that show since day 1, and I never knew that.

11. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't ever remember Adam saying anything about this podcast on his show. Count me among the listeners who had no idea.

12. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Can't tell if you guys are being sarcastic. Quite a few ads for it, and he's mentioned it quite a bit from like the middle of January through February. Maybe like every 4th or 5th cast, but he brings it up.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Not sarcastic at all... but, if it's an ad at the beginning of the show, then I probably missed it because I hit the "+15 second" until I hear the intro music.

14. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ha me too. He's mentioned it for sure though. They had a promo "episode" which was just a 30 second commercial for it and it was the number one podcast download that week, he mentioned it on the show.

15. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, of course you're going to miss the ad for it when you skip the ads.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

He usually does a bunch of ads during the show... and he promotes his other podcasts during the show as well... like his Take A Knee... I just assumed that the first-spot ads were big advertisers.

17. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don't worry you really aren't missing that much....

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, it's not like I'm rushing to catch up on them.

19. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So, after a few months, I find I like Gina Grad well enough. She gets some good lines in and is definitely not at odds with the rest of the gang as much. But more than that, I'm noticing that Brian seems to stepping up a lot more. A lot more funny quips coming from him, which I like.

Gina's news song sucks ass though.

20. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They need to fix that asap, what a pile of shit.

Anyone listen to Allisons podcast? Just wondering what her side of the firing was like, obviously I am not interested enough to listen to it myself.