Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Academy Awards 2018

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Rush-O-Matic, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Actor in a Leading Role
    Timothée Chalamet; Call Me by Your Name
    Daniel Day-Lewis; Phantom Thread
    Daniel Kaluuya; Get Out
    Gary Oldman; Darkest Hour
    Denzel Washington; Roman J. Israel, Esq.

Actor in a Supporting Role
    Willem Dafoe; The Florida Project
    Woody Harrelson; Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri
    Richard Jenkins; The Shape of Water
    Christopher Plummer; All the Money in the World
    Sam Rockwell; Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri

Actress in a Leading Role
    Sally Hawkins; The Shape of Water
    Frances McDormand; Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri
    Margot Robbie; I, Tonya
    Saoirse Ronan; Lady Bird
    Meryl Streep; The Post

Actress in a Supporting Role
    Mary J. Blige; Mudbound
    Allison Janney; I, Tonya
    Lesley Manville; Phantom Thread
    Laurie Metcalf; Lady Bird
    Octavia Spencer; The Shape of Water

Animated Feature Film
    The Boss Baby; Tom McGrath and Ramsey Naito
    The Breadwinner; Nora Twomey and Anthony Leo
    Coco; Lee Unkrich and Darla K. Anderson
    Ferdinand; Carlos Saldanha
    Loving Vincent; Dorota Kobiela, Hugh Welchman and Ivan Mactaggart

Cinematography
    Blade Runner 2049; Roger A. Deakins
    Darkest Hour; Bruno Delbonnel
    Dunkirk; Hoyte van Hoytema
    Mudbound; Rachel Morrison
    The Shape of Water; Dan Laustsen

Costume Design
    Beauty and the Beast; Jacqueline Durran
    Darkest Hour; Jacqueline Durran
    Phantom Thread; Mark Bridges
    The Shape of Water; Luis Sequeira
    Victoria & Abdul; Consolata Boyle

Directing
    Dunkirk; Christopher Nolan
    Get Out; Jordan Peele
    Lady Bird; Greta Gerwig
    Phantom Thread; Paul Thomas Anderson
    The Shape of Water; Guillermo del Toro

Documentary (Feature)
    Abacus: Small Enough to Jail; Steve James, Mark Mitten and Julie Goldman
    Faces Places; Agnès Varda, JR and Rosalie Varda
    Icarus; Bryan Fogel and Dan Cogan
    Last Men in Aleppo; Feras Fayyad, Kareem Abeed and Søren Steen Jespersen
    Strong Island; Yance Ford and Joslyn Barnes

Documentary (Short Subject)
    Edith+Eddie; Laura Checkoway and Thomas Lee Wright
    Heaven Is a Traffic Jam on the 405; Frank Stiefel
    Heroin(e); Elaine McMillion Sheldon and Kerrin Sheldon
    Knife Skills; Thomas Lennon
    Traffic Stop; Kate Davis and David Heilbroner

Film Editing
    Baby Driver; Paul Machliss and Jonathan Amos
    Dunkirk; Lee Smith
    I, Tonya; Tatiana S. Riegel
    The Shape of Water; Sidney Wolinsky
    Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri; Jon Gregory

Foreign Language Film
    A Fantastic Woman; Chile
    The Insult; Lebanon
    Loveless; Russia
    On Body and Soul; Hungary
    The Square; Sweden

Makeup and Hairstyling
    Darkest Hour; Kazuhiro Tsuji, David Malinowski and Lucy Sibbick
    Victoria & Abdul; Daniel Phillips and Lou Sheppard
    Wonder; Arjen Tuiten

Music (Original Score)
    Dunkirk; Hans Zimmer
    Phantom Thread; Jonny Greenwood
    The Shape of Water; Alexandre Desplat
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi; John Williams
    Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri; Carter Burwell

Music (Original Song)
    Mighty River (Mudbound); Music and Lyric by Mary J. Blige, Raphael Saadiq and Taura Stinson
    Mystery Of Love (Call Me by Your Name); Music and Lyric by Sufjan Stevens
    Remember Me (Coco); Music and Lyric by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez
    Stand Up For Something (Marshall); Music by Diane Warren; Lyric by Lonnie R. Lynn and Diane Warren
    This Is Me (The Greatest Showman); Music and Lyric by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul

Best Picture
    Call Me by Your Name; Peter Spears, Luca Guadagnino, Emilie Georges and Marco Morabito
    Darkest Hour; Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Lisa Bruce, Anthony McCarten and Douglas Urbanski
    Dunkirk; Emma Thomas and Christopher Nolan
    Get Out; Sean McKittrick, Jason Blum, Edward H. Hamm Jr. and Jordan Peele
    Lady Bird; Scott Rudin, Eli Bush and Evelyn O'Neill
    Phantom Thread; JoAnne Sellar, Paul Thomas Anderson, Megan Ellison and Daniel Lupi
    The Post; Amy Pascal, Steven Spielberg and Kristie Macosko Krieger
    The Shape of Water; Guillermo del Toro and J. Miles Dale
    Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri; Graham Broadbent, Pete Czernin and Martin McDonagh

Production Design
    Beauty and the Beast; Sarah Greenwood; Set Decoration: Katie Spencer
    Blade Runner 2049; Production Design; Dennis Gassner; Set Decoration: Alessandra Querzola
    Darkest Hour; Production Design: Sarah Greenwood; Set Decoration: Katie Spencer
    Dunkirk; Production Design: Nathan Crowley; Set Decoration: Gary Fettis
    The Shape of Water; Production Design: Paul Denham Austerberry; Set Decoration: Shane Vieau and Jeff Melvin

Short Film (Animated)
    Dear Basketball; Glen Keane and Kobe Bryant
    Garden Party; Victor Caire and Gabriel Grapperon
    Lou; Dave Mullins and Dana Murray
    Negative Space; Max Porter and Ru Kuwahata
    Revolting Rhymes; Jakob Schuh and Jan Lachauer

Short Film (Live Action)
    DeKalb Elementary; Reed Van Dyk
    The Eleven O'Clock; Derin Seale and Josh Lawson
    My Nephew Emmett; Kevin Wilson, Jr.
    The Silent Child; Chris Overton and Rachel Shenton
    Watu Wote/All of Us; Katja Benrath and Tobias Rosen

Sound Editing
    Baby Driver; Julian Slater
    Blade Runner 2049; Mark Mangini and Theo Green
    Dunkirk; Richard King and Alex Gibson
    The Shape of Water; Nathan Robitaille and Nelson Ferreira
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi; Matthew Wood and Ren Klyce

Sound Mixing
    Baby Driver; Julian Slater, Tim Cavagin and Mary H. Ellis
    Blade Runner 2049; Ron Bartlett, Doug Hemphill and Mac Ruth
    Dunkirk; Mark Weingarten, Gregg Landaker and Gary A. Rizzo
    The Shape of Water; Christian Cooke, Brad Zoern and Glen Gauthier
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi; David Parker, Michael Semanick, Ren Klyce and Stuart Wilson

Visual Effects
    Blade Runner 2049; John Nelson, Gerd Nefzer, Paul Lambert and Richard R. Hoover
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2; Christopher Townsend, Guy Williams, Jonathan Fawkner and Dan Sudick
    Kong: Skull Island; Stephen Rosenbaum, Jeff White, Scott Benza and Mike Meinardus
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi; Ben Morris, Mike Mulholland, Neal Scanlan and Chris Corbould
    War for the Planet of the Apes; Joe Letteri, Daniel Barrett, Dan Lemmon and Joel Whist

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)
    Call Me by Your Name; Screenplay by James Ivory
    The Disaster Artist; Screenplay by Scott Neustadter & Michael H. Weber
    Logan; Screenplay by Scott Frank & James Mangold and Michael Green; Story by James Mangold
    Molly's Game; Written for the screen by Aaron Sorkin
    Mudbound; Screenplay by Virgil Williams and Dee Rees

Writing (Original Screenplay)
    The Big Sick; Written by Emily V. Gordon & Kumail Nanjiani
    Get Out;Written by Jordan Peele
    Lady Bird; Written by Greta Gerwig
    The Shape of Water; Screenplay by Guillermo del Toro & Vanessa Taylor; Story by Guillermo del Toro
    Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri; Written by Martin McDonagh

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Lady Bird wins across the board because of #MeToo.

Christopher Plummer wins because he picked up Spacey's slack and turned out a great performance and hes friggin' 88 years old.

Blade Runner wins Sound and Visual Effects.

3. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

This was my favorite year for movies in a really long time so I'm now very stressed about choosing who to root for in a bunch of categories.

For Actor in a Leading Role: All I know is I really don't want Gary Oldman to win. I didn't really like The Phantom Thread, but I'd be okay with DDL winning for it especially if it's truly his last role. I'm really torn between Kaluuya and Tim Oh Tay. I thought Kaluuya's acting was the weakest part of Get Out for about 3/4 of it until I started seeing what he was doing with the character, and he could probably win off of this shot
    [​IMG]
    alone. I am mostly rooting for Chalamet though because [​IMG]

Despite ~ the allegations ~ I'm really bummed James Franco didn't get nominated for The Disaster Artist. He did an incredible job as Wiseau and that would've been such a fun role to get an Oscar nod.

For Actor In A Supporting Role I'm rooting for Sam Rockwell.

Actress in a Leading Role is a really tough one for me. Frances McDormand and Margot Robbie were both so, so, so good and I think Sally Hawkins would really deserve it too. I'd also be happy if Ronan won, although I don't think her role required as much Acting as the others. I can't pick at all. But while I love Meryl, I think her nom is kind of a throwaway. Everyone was gagging over her in The Post but, I don't know, when I saw it it just seemed like Meryl Streep reading lines to me. I think that spot should've gone to Vicky Krieps for Phantom Thread.

For Actress in Supporting Role it better be Allison Janney.

I'm really surprised neither Call Me By Your Name or Phantom Thread got a Cinematography nomination. They were both all about the visuals, for me.

Directing is another tough one for me. I would love for Greta Gerwig to win, but I think Get Out relied more on Jordan Peele's directing than Ladybird did on hers, so I think I'm ultimately rooting for him. But, while I'm not really a big fan of his, I think it would be nice to see Guillermo Del Torro win because he's so damn passionate about this movie and it's so important to him.

For Adapted Screenplay I'm rooting for CMBYN. I haven't read the book, but from hearing my friends who have talk about what they did to translate the book to a screenplay it sounds like the perfect example of how to do it in an Oscar-deserving way. I loved The Disaster Artist so I wouldn't mind if it won either, but the screenplay wasn't really the focus of what I loved about it.

Original Screenplay is another difficult one. Get Out was such a damn perfect plot and I was thinking about the writing for weeks after seeing it, so I think that's what I'm hoping for. But again, I would love for Greta Gerwig to win and for that type of screenplay to win. But I love rewarding originality and Shape of Water is nothing if not original. Big Sick was very charming but I don't think it's necessarily Oscar-worthy.

And I have absolutely no idea which I'm ultimately rooting for for Best Picture. My favorites were CMBYN, Get Out, and Ladybird. I really liked Three Billboards too, although while I largely disagree with a lot of the criticisms I've been hearing (from people who haven't seen it) there's some that I think has enough of a point that it's been affecting my opinion of it retroactively. I think I'd be happy with any of those, though. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Ladybird ended up winning because they could count Moonlight as giving it to both the gay one AND the black one last year so obviously they don't need to do it again this year so might as well give it to the lady one. I enjoyed The Post a lot but if it wins it's going to be purely political. There were several times throughout the movie where they might as well have turned to the camera, winked, and mouthed "We're talking about Trump." I haven't seen it, but I'm surprised The Florida Project got snubbed for Best Picture and a couple other categories it sounds like it could've gotten nominated for. I haven't heard a bad thing about it.

I'm really looking forward to this year's show and I'm mad it keeps getting later and later.

4. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm all in on Logan in this category. Imagine the task before the screenwriters. You have one screenplay to pay homage to, elevate, and wrap up not one but two incredible actors who have inhabited their roles for near 20 years, and you have to do it while adapting Old Man Logan, which doesn't even remotely fit the established continuity of your franchise. Also you need to make it the best comic book movie ever made, and achieve what none of the eight million other comic book movies have been able to do to date, which is to ground the story in real human drama instead of throwing a giant space laser into the third act.

And they did it.

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It’s hands down the best screenplay for a comic book. What a monumentally sad and disarming film it was. It was so incredibly different from any comic movie, even more so when you consider the two previous “Wolverine” movies sucked so much ass.

Since The Florida Project isn’t nominated for best picture, I’m going with Three Billboards. That movie was designed to make audience members divide, hate and kill each other. It’s a brilliant and nasty film.

6. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm a big Greta Gerwig fan, too. I've loved her mumblecore stuff for years.

But...Lady Bird isn't a terribly complicated movie. To its credit, it is an amazingly acted film, and I'd love for Laurie Metcalfe to take home Best Supporting Actress*. The directing and writing were fairly straightforward, which is why Get Out/Jordan Peele is a better candidate in both categories. Also, Lady Bird isn't exactly a #MeToo kind of movie, and it's directed by a white woman. Jordan Peele wins the diversity points head-to-head.

*I still need to see a couple of the major nominees before I write my big post, including I, Tonya. I assume based on the trailers that Janney's performance was loud; Metcalfe's was subtle and down-to-earth. Octavia Spencer did Octavia Spencer things as usual, and Mary J. Blige continued her 20-year streak of being overrated in every single thing she does.

7. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

I saw the animated shorts today and they're all really good, but this one was my favorite:

This one had a weird, dark sense of humor and crazily good animation and I think it was my second favorite, although it's hard to choose:

I think they may be the underdogs though. There was a really charming Disney one and a fun longer one based on a Roald Dahl story and I'm guessing one of those will take it. Although I'm pretty sure I've never seen an Oscar-nominated short before so I've never paid attention and have no idea if they tend to go for pleasing or for ~ artistic ~. It's fun to have another category to root for now, anyway. I'm going to try and see the documentary shorts this weekend.

8. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Unfortunately, selling my house and the subsequent packing/moving/unpacking kept me from seeing all of the major nominees. I think I saw that Three Billboards is on demand now, but at this point I'd rather watch an Oscars for once with minimal expectations. So I can't really make any pithy predictions this year, since I haven't seen any of the presumptive acting frontrunners (McDormand, Oldman, Janney, Rockwell) so far. Those four won the SAGs, and the nominees are similar enough with the Oscar slates to predict that the usual 3/4ths of them will win again. If you want to bet a dark horse, go with Daniel Day-Lewis in Best Actor. He was the only one not nominated against Oldman in the SAGs, and while the actor's guild makes up the single largest part of the Academy membership, they're still dwarfed by all the technical branches. Rest assured, if Meryl Streep announced she was retiring from film for good, she'd get one more Oscar for good measure no matter what the role. DDL ain't Streep, but there's a chance sentiment could tip the race against Oldman. But, I didn't see either of those movies so I might just be talking out of my ass this time.

As for the movies I did see, I honestly would love to see both Get Out and Lady Bird get recognized, but they're basically competing against each other for one realistic award (Best Original Screenplay). The DGA already went with Guillermo del Toro, who did a great job with The Shape of Water, so Jordan Peele and Greta Gerwig are both shit out of luck for Best Director, although the joke "A Mexican, a black guy, and a woman walk into a bar..." will probably come up at some point in the telecast.

Also, some handicappers are predicting Kobe Bryant's animated short film as the winner in that category. I can guaran-fucking-tee that way too many Academy voters - who largely live and work in L.A. - are acutely aware in this year of #MeToo clamor that the former Lakers star once famously whipped his Black Mamba out on a white girl in Colorado under controversial circumstances. No way they pull the lever and let that dude anywhere near the stage. Ironically, the guild that nominates short cartoons for Oscars (animators) are probably the one group of nerds who don't watch sports and don't necessarily need to work in L.A. That's probably the only reason that fucktard got on the ballot in the first place and wasn't James Franco'd instead.

9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought you were totally right about this prediction. Shocked that you were not.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That is awesome that del Toro won for best director and picture. It really says something to him as a visual storyteller when a fantasy/horror movie beats everything else.

And Rockwell.... finally. How many more movies did he have to steal before he finally gets the proper kudos for it? IS THERE AIR?!?!?

Also: “Jordan Peele, Oscar winner.” One of the “Man-Up!!!” dudes from MadTV who wrote “Keanu” has an Academy Award. Suck on that, Sandler.

#10 Crown Royal, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  11. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm legitimately shocked, too. I was about an hour behind the live show, but I checked afterward to see if the media had picked up on the rape angle. A few commentators mentioned it, but we'll see what the next 24 hours look like. I would guess it's going to come up, but the category itself is pretty irrelevant (i.e. no one cares about the other four losers), so no one is going to waste too much time on him when there are more attractive Ryan Seacrests to ruin.

And I actually should have given more thought to the fact that the Academy did give convicted child-fucker Roman Polanski a no-shit Best Director Oscar decades after he fled from justice, so Kobe's not even the worst known sex offender to win. Who knows, lots of nervous men in Hollywood might be encouraged by the short memories on display...for sports heroes, at least.

At least we know what Charles Barkely will be talking about this week: "Hey Shaq, how many Oscars did you win for Kazaam?"

12. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe #metoo means something different than what I thought.

Like Crown I was glad Rockwell won. For the most part, for the movies I was familiar with, I didn't think anybody got robbed or there was some travesty, other than the Coco song. I thought that was one of the weakest songs on the ballot and it should've gone to This Is Me from Showman. I was glad Deakins finally got his award, too, since I thought he should've already one for No Country for Old Men and Shawshank Redemption.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Rockwell definitely deserved it. I dont think I've simultaneously hated and liked a character like that before. It was a great performance.

Gary Oldman did as well. His was long overdue.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

If they gave out the awards the way they should, Oldman and Rockwell would have a dozen Oscars between them by now.

15. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I still cant believe he won nothing for tip toes.
    [​IMG]

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I honestly thought that was a joke trailer when i saw it. I can’t believe that shit is real.

17. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I bought a used copy of this movie for $1.36 shipped. It is my favorite drunken purchase of all time.

18. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Or Zorg from 5th Element.

[​IMG]

Or Mason Verger from Hannibal

[​IMG]

Or literally any other role.
    [​IMG]

19. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

For the record, I'd like to point out that Gotham City is OscarTown, USA:

BATMAN
    George Clooney
    Christian Bale
    Ben Affleck

ALFRED
    Michael Caine
    Jeremy Irons

COMMISSIONER GORDON
    Gary Oldman
    J.K. Simmons

JOKER
    Jack Nicholson
    Heath Ledger
    Jared Leto

CATWOMAN
    Halle Berry (it counts!)
    Anne Hathaway

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

You forgot that Chris O’Donnell won an Oscar for his unforgettable work in Batman Forever. But we all know how that movie swept the 1996 awards.