Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

A man's home is his coffin.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crown Royal, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Disgustipated

Disgustipated
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Most people consider Australia to be this idyllic, wild utopia. They just bought the crap from the tourist videos. I do admit I'm on a hate case for this country at the moment, but I feel it is warranted.

Before I start, personal restrictions mean I cannot leave. I have a son. I won't leave him, and his mother won't let him go.

My issues are:

- Compulsory voting means that a bunch of morons are about to re-elect a party fronted by a female, redheaded, ex-trade union lawyer. Digest that as you will. I don't doubt it will happen without a minor miracle, as her opposition is a misogynistic, ultra-conservative Catholic head kicker. That's like choosing between death by fire and death by acid;
    - Over-regulation based on a cultural premise that profit is a dirty word, unless it's mine. Added to this is the catchcry to every increase in cost as being "business can afford it!", yet not acknowledging that doing that ten times over ten different items isn't affordable;
    - A welfare system that's easily rorted and actively encourages the lowest demographic to breed in bulk, which simply increases and perpetuates the cycle of welfare dependence;
    - (Here at least) Impractical and ineffectual public transport while being bashed over the head for not using it, all the while putting up the costs of not using something that's not there anyway;
    - Increased utility costs across the board, at least in part to pay for the development of infrastructure that doesn't work or isn't completed. Spend buckets planning and starting a dam to simply walk away from it because it was poorly decided? Spend more building a desalination plant that doesn't work because it's rusted to hell? That's us. Guess who ends up paying for that? $1,000 in compulsory water charges when we're not connected. That's who;
    - An immigration policy that practically opens the door to people who turn up in a leaky bath tub but put skilled migrants who go through the right channels through the wringer for several years before telling them no;
    - Immediate welfare to said bath tub sailors;
    - A wide spread cultural feeling of entitlement;
    - An even wider spread cultural disdain for achievers. It even has a name, "tall poppy syndrome";
    - An apologist approach to ethnic groups who don't want to integrate or follow the laws of the country. Your shithole was obviously not good, which is why you came here. Don't bring the shit with you;
    - Concessionary, reactive responses to criticism. Problems with Muslims? We'll push to teach a compulsory "positive aspects to Islam" course in all schools. I have no problem with learning about Islam, I did it at high school. But if you're going to teach it, teach all of it.....

I'll stop there. I'm 35 and I'm a bitter old man already.

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I always find it weird that this board alone is the only place I hear this much hate tossed on Ohio specifically. Most of the time when I hear it though, outside of here, it is from out of staters from big cities that would shit on any place that isn't their metropolitan Xanadu. Ohio at least has some things going for it, things I couldn't see happening in seemingly much more dull plain states like Iowa, Kansas, or Nebraska.

Pros:

I spent a lot of my youth in Eastern Ohio Appalachia dirt bike riding in our national parks. Sure it's not the Rockies but it can still be breath taking seeing it whip by at high speeds. Seeing the leafs change in the fall is truly beautiful out in Athens, plus the hippies out there grow some funk weed. The Ohio river might not be crystal clear, which major commerce river is? Summer time boating and sailing on Eerie are extremely fun staples of Ohio.

Cincinnati is known historically as a beer brewers city because of our large German population. At one point we had over a hundred brewers and biergartens in a 15 block radius, now known as the shithole Over the Rhine. In the past decade some of the classic city beers have seen a resurgence with the rise in popularity of micro brews. Im not that into it but since you people claim to guzzle scotch and micro brews like Mad Men I thought it was worth mentioning. Our Oktoberfest is know as one of the biggest outside of Germany.

A small thing I love about Cincinnati has to be driving into it North bound from Kentucky on I-75, the "Cut in the Hill." Growing up we took a yearly family vacation to Florida via road trip. After the 14-16 hour drive back taking that wide left into the cut with the entire skyline of the city framed by the hills around it. I knew I was close to home. Gets me misty eyed every time I think of it.

Cons:

I Haven't spent that much time in Northern Ohio so maybe it is as bleak and shitty as they say. Ive only took one trip to Cleveland and Cedar Point for the same reason as the first post. All I can remember was that the city smelled bad and Cedar Point was about as cool as Kings Island (ie amusement parks are kind of lame to begin with).

Dayton is Ohio's answer to Detroit. It peaked a few decades ago and is now mostly in a state of squaller. I hear Toledo isn't much better.

Ohio State sports fans. I can kind of understand why people from other cities in ohio latch on to the Buckeyes. They perennially do much much better than our two professional football teams. People like to root for winners and hate being heartbroken for their entire lives supporting crap professional teams. On the other hand the fervency of Ohio State fans makes me want to puke in my lap. Hearing the O-H??! I-O!!! chant at ear splitting levels all year sucks a dick.

Cincinnati has large pockets of ghetto ass white trash, particularly Norwood and Price Hill. As well as pockets of hipster libs. Even though the area is considered super conservative most of our political mess it log jammed by the fear of racial discrimination. Something that gets a lot of press but doesn't seem to be any worse than Ive witnessed in countless other localities.

3. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I like the town where I live. I have pretty easy access to both Dallas and Ft. Worth, there's no state income tax, the climate is pretty decent for the most part (yeah, it's hotter than hell in the summer, but I don't have to shovel heat). Cowboys' fans can be a little unnerving at times, but it could be worse. I could be surrounded by Eagles' fans.

I'm not too pleased with state education's mandatory TAKS testing, especially at the high school level. Too much time is spent teaching to those tests when I think they should be spending more time preparing the students for college placement tests, but the teachers and the schools aren't being evaluated based on college placement scores. And our Robin Hood legislation (wealthier communities' school tax revenues being diverted to lower-income communities) is bullshit when viewing expenditures for extracurricular activities. My tax dollars buys a kid in Podunk a trombone so he can play in the HS band, but for my child to participate in her HS band, I have to pay additionally for her instrument. And then there's the whole history text book fiasco and who's version of history they'll be using. Great, now I need to go take some Tums.

4. caseykasem

caseykasem
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I live in Denver. While it isn't the worst city in America and does have some really nice things about it, I can't stand it. I've lived here for nearly four years and each year I loathe it a little more. Everyone here claims to do shit in the mountains and everyone likes to brag about how great the skiing is here. Bullshit. The skiing sucks. It's overcrowded, extremely overpriced, has horrible traffic, and gets shitty snow. Everyone raves about how great Vail and Breckenridge are. Apparently these people have never been skiing in Utah, Wyoming, or Montana. Each of these states have better resorts with better snow and smaller crowds. The true hardcores don't come here to ski. They go to where good snow is and where good backcountry powder can be found. We also have the biggest fairweather sports fans I have ever seen with the exception of the broncos. No one gave a shit about the rockies until they beat the Padres to get into the 2007 playoffs. The Avalanche? The only time anyone cares about them is if they win the cup. And the Nuggets? Only during playoff time. We have one of the best college hockey programs in the country and people couldn't care less. All of this coupled with overpriced living expenses makes for a place that most people love but I hate.

5. Prefontaine

Prefontaine
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Keeping on about Denver, Colorado is consistently ranked as one of the healthiest, least obese states in America. However, that title mostly applies to the excess of men that live here. It seems that most guys transplant to CO because of its abundant outdoor athletic activities: cycling, running, skiing, etc. Women transplant here because they are looking to escape the boredom of their mid-West towns but want to stay close to home. Therefore, Denver receives an excess of chunky mid-West girls. Just go to any bar here that has a Ladies Night and you'll find cattle grazing for free drinks.

I've never really spent much time in LA, but I can imagine a typical LA 6 comes to Denver and becomes a 9.

6. dan ruckus

dan ruckus
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

There are plenty of problems with Central New York, but the biggest thing I hated about growing up/still going to college here is that there are no fucking professional sports teams. Syracuse isn't nearly big enough to support its own NHL, MLB, NBA, or NFL team, and even if they tried they would just price everybody out.

Not only that, but Syracuse is right smack in the middle of all of the major cities surrounding it. You would think that would be a good thing, but nope, everything is still too far away to go anywhere on a whim. 3 hours to Buffalo/Niagara Falls, 5 hours to either NYC/Boston/Toronto, and way too far for Philly/Pittsburgh/Cleveland. Any time you try to make a 1 day trip for these places, it becomes dreadful as no one wants to shell out for a hotel room, but no one wants to be in a vehicle that much in 1 day.

Syracuse Basketball is the only team that anyone pays attention to, but just like all colleges around here, no one lives or dies with the team. Hockey is fairly popular around here, heck I go to SUNY Oswego where hockey is the only sport the school cares about, but even after a loss to a rival, nobody gives a shit. Win or lose, everyone forgets about it within an hour after the game.

So if you enjoy sports and are thinking of moving to Central New York, just don't.

7. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

Dallas

I dislike that we have 2 seasons: "winter" and 105 degree summers. It's so hot here I have to wake up to run at 5 am. And it's still in the 80's that early. And, oh yeah, there are like 3 trails in the entire metroplex to run. None of them are remotely near us, so we run on concrete. Every. Day.

I hate that there's pretty much zero culture here. When it comes to supporting or creating art, Dallas is a joke. That's why every artist I know from here goes far, far away to do their thing. We like our sports; hate art.

There's nothing to do here except go out to eat or shop. We love our shopping malls! Not to mention the countless steak, Tex-Mex and barbeque places so we can beef up for the non-existant winter!

It irritates me that we have 2 airports. Why? Because more times than my friends/family would like to admit, people have told me they're flying in/out of the WRONG fucking airport. It's a little annoying to drive from DFW to Love in rush hour. "Oh shit! We need to be at Love! In 15 minutes!" Thanks for ruining my morning, asshole.

The only thing awesome about Dallas is the economy. Great place to make money with a really low cost of living. And, even that is a trickle down from oil and gas. I'm here for in-state tuition and the kick-ass school. After that, I'm leaving.

In short, fuck Dallas. Live in Austin instead. Hell, even Ft. Worth is much better than Dallas.

8. Oxycontinental

Oxycontinental
    Expand Collapse
    Lurker

I live in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. Its Mississippi, so obviously it has nothing going for it. However, I like it alot. Summers are boring but during the school year there are two universities here so the population jumps by 25,000 people from August to May. Pretty good house parties, but pretty bland bar scene. But New Orleans is only a 75 minute drive away to better bars.

The weather sucks, we have 3 seasons: spring, summer, and February. Humidity is ridiculous as well.

But I do have the occasional Brett Favre sighting, he being our resident celebrity, but he's pretty reclusive and doesn't come into the town very much.

Other than that, I'm just waiting to get my ass out of the south but I'll make due here til then.

9. Pink Candy

Pink Candy
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Seattle. Oh, Seattle.

The pros:

-Very liberal. Lots of gays and abortion ads. I'm a fan.

-Pike Place. Best seafood around.

-Beautiful summers.

-Beautiful scenery.

The cons:

-Very liberal. Lots of "reform the sexual predators but we're not going to give you any money to do this!" I'm not a fan. Very politically correct. I'm not a fan.

-Passive aggressive assholes.

-Traffic.

-Eight months of disgusting gray weather. No wonder Kurt Cobain killed himself out here and Layne Staley speedballed to death. It's the weather, I'm telling you.

-Sports are a joke. The Mariners only draw crowds during Red Sox games or when they're doing well. And the fucktard Sox fans are all on the bandwagon. I asked some dumbass wearing a Papelbon jersey at the Sox/Mariners game this weekend who was on the DL for the Sox. He couldn't tell me. I told him his hero Papelbon named his fucking children Parker (a girl) and Gunner (a boy) and called his hero a retard. He admitted "I just like them 'cause they win." No hockey. No basketball. UW was a joke last year and now Pete Carroll is brought in to perk up the Huskies. Too much faith in Hasselbeck. Just a bunch of bitter Bettys. Psh.

This place isn't for me. I need to get out of here fast.

10. turboawesome

turboawesome
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I live about an hour and a half outside of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

While I'm trying to pay off various debts that I got myself into as a result of a business venture and blowing money on stupid shit like overpriced drugs (we don't have the pleasure of our own Mexico at our border - New Zealand won't pick up the slack), currently I'm stuck here in this depressing hole of a city. I was born here and just haven't gotten the balls to leave yet at the age of 22, but aim to make the move up north somewhere by the end of the year.

Cons:
    - Weather. Done to death, but the weather here shits me up the wall. It's cold most of the year, but not cold enough for snow, which would make me happy. We get around 2 months of decent weather a year.

- Gossiping and nosey people. This place is full of people who don't mind their own god damn business. Because nothing exciting ever, ever happens here, all people do is gossip like old women in a sewing circle. Case in point, I'm just about ready to call the police on not one, but two of my neighbours for constantly staring into my house from behind the fence. I'm dead serious - both hands on the top of the fence, staring into my house, and quickly disappearing when they realise I've caught them.

- Clubs and pubs have a 3:00 AM lock-out. They were even trying to make it 2:00 AM at one point. That means, if a place is open until say 4:30 - 5:00 AM, they won't let you in after 3:00 AM. It's a stupid idea intended to curb assaults, however all it does is put angry drunk people on the street late at night and hasn't put a slight dent in our notorious street violence. But even though it's proven to do nothing, it's still in place.

- Speaking of street violence: We have higher-than-average unprovoked assaults. I'm not sure what started this trend, but I've been threatened I-don't-know-how-many times by random dick heads on the street, and once nearly got my head caved in with a metal pole wrapped in duct tape (our over-bearing gun laws are good for something). Luckily a friend who was equally drunk at the time somehow managed to grab the pole and wrench it out of the moron's hands and saved both our arses.

- No jobs. Unless you like manual labour, wish to work in a mine or want to work in the glamorous field of office administration. I work in IT, which makes gigs even harder to come by. I was lucky to find my current temporary job after 2 months of dishing out resumes for work you need zero qualifications or experience for.

Pros:
    - Cheap rent. $185 a week for a 3 bedroom house cheap. It nearly makes it worth it.

11. KillaKam

KillaKam
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was born and raised in the Cleveland area. Lived in Rapid City, South Dakota for almost four years because that's where the Air Force decided to put me. I got out 2 years ago and moved back to CLE.

Cleveland, and Rapid City, SD...I don't think I need to go much further here.

12. Cult

Cult
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus: I'm from Cleveland. I hate the people in Ohio because there are so many people here that complain about there not being shit to do here. There are a lot of other states that I would rather live in than Ohio, but people here are crybabies.

Some friends of mine wanted to go down to FL for during the Spring. I was curious as to what our activities would be down there and it would have basically consisted of getting drunk, going to the beach, going to college parties. I tried to explain how stupid it was to spend a bunch of money in gas and putting over 2k miles on peoples cars round trip to go and do something in another state when we can and do do the same exact stuff in Ohio, but they didn't care because everything is magically more fun when you're spending more money to do it. Obviously FL beaches are nicer and warmer than Lake Erie, but I have a fucking boat up here.

13. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was born in Boston, and while I can give you a whole list of negatives about it, at the end of a 6,000 mile road trip through the rest of America, it came out looking like paradise. I don't know how the rest of you people stand to live in those shitholes you call home. West Virginia? Ohio? South Dakota? Arizona? We drove through entire states where the only thing worth stopping for was a National Park, which was worth visiting specifically because the inbred denizens of the state were forbidden from infecting it by the fiat of the federal government.

14. whatisinaname

whatisinaname
    Expand Collapse
    Hoping to be even a fraction of the man Jim is.

Atlanta

The pros are almost too many to number. When I moved here the first time, it was the 26th state or country I lived in. Being an army brat will get you a good head-start on that. But, that at least gave me enough reference to choose to move back here after having to re-locate to Dallas to complete the sale of a business.

Pros

The weather here, except for three bad summer months, is almost perfect. We have a change of seasons, but without the cold/snow I was use to in New York or New England. The arts are strongly supported here. Maybe it's not New York, Boston, Chicago in its scope, but it's pretty good. It's a conservative state, but a very liberal city. You can be gay, lesbian, black, white...whatever. In the city of Atlanta no one gives a shit. The women...my god the women. I read where we're number #2 in the country for single women. Couple that with the number of gay men here, and if you can form sentences, you can do well here.

Cons

Taxes. Despite what most people think, Georgia is brutal on taxes. I pay over $14,000.00 a year in just state and county taxes on my house. Don't even get me started on state income tax, especially having moved back here from Texas where there are zero. Which points to the next con - education. These taxes are supposed to pay for education and infrastructure, and none of it works. The schools are a joke and public service is non-existent. Unless you are going to Emory or Georgia Tech, I pity anyone getting an education here in any grade. Lastly, the lack of an ocean/bay/big river. I think if we had water close to us, people would never leave here.

The bottom line is that I love my city, warts and all.

15. thatone

thatone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I live in Sydney, Australia.

The people who complain about how much this city sucks are the very same people who make this city less than fucking awesome. They are usually slightly unintelligent, miserable and boring individuals. They are usually westys, or from housing commission flats, or have no understanding of what life is like outside of this city (these categories are not mutually exclusive).

It is the middle of winter here, and at 9.14am outside looks like this:

It is warm enough for me to wear shorts and a t-shirt.

Pros - this city is fucking beautiful. Seriously. Some days, I make the extra effort to get the Manly Ferry to work simply because the aesthetics of the trip put me in a great mood. The beaches are great. If restaurants are your thing, there are buttloads of them here. Sydney is a huge place and you're bound to find something you like here.

Cons - it is expensive to live here. South-Western Sydney is a wasteland, but even that is expensive. There are stupid people here, but there are stupid people everywhere so that point is moot. It would be cool if we had more small bars and cafes, and fewer nightclubs & poker-machine filled pubs & clubs.

Attached Files:

16. Natty

Natty
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The only thing I really can't stand about where I live is that it takes no less than 1hr 45min to get to a major airport. Considering I travel for work 14 times a year and do at least 3 personal type trips it kind of drags on ya. That, aside from how miserable the summer has been temp wise, is the worst. Sorry.