Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

A friend is a friend until WTF?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frebis, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus: What's the worst thing a friend has ever done to you? Are you still friends? Did you retaliate? And most importantly, why when you start a thread is there no Quote Button?

Code:
    I have a friend that has a bachelor party coming up. We were going to go to a Reds game, and rent out a nice suite. What did we need to accomplish this? $65 per person. How long have they had to come up with this cash? 3 months. And people still haven't been able to do it. I'm going to end up buying this entire thing on my credit card, and I'm going to be lucky to get 3/4 of it back.

It absolutely baffles my mind that a bunch of mid 20s people can't come up with $65. Don't fucking drink for one weekend, and guess what? There you have the money. Even without that, am I the only one this age that doesn't live paycheck to paycheck? $65 is next to nothing.

The funny part about this is I'm not even the best man. Fuck I'm not even in the wedding party. Im just apparently the only one willing to pony up some cash so one of my friends can have an awesome bachelor party.

I hope you enjoy this one buddy.
    (some really cool code if you have a chance to debug through it)

This was my Rant and Rave from a few days ago about how shitty it was to have poor friends. Well, today it get's shittier. And it's not because my friend is poor, it is because he is a liar.

I put 27 tickets to a ball game on my credit card in a box suite. All so my friend could have his bachelor party the way he wanted. The best man was the keeper of the money. The Bachelor asked to get money to book the hotel. Funny thing is, YOU DONT FUCKING NEED MONEY TO BOOK A GOD DAMN HOTEL. YOU NEED A GOD DAMNED CREDIT CARD (THAT IS NOT CHARGED UNTIL YOU GET TO THE HOTEL). Which I'm sure the best man would know, you know, if he wasn’t poor and had never booked a hotel room.

Interestingly enough the Bachelor left for vacation with his fiancé today (without booking any of the hotel rooms, according to the hotel). He stole the money we were collecting for the bachelor party, and took it to the beach with him.

As far as I'm concerned he can burn in hell.

He lied to us. He stole from us. I'm out more money than I care to think about. And I fucking trusted him. I'm furious. I would consider posting his name, address and phone number for the first TiB wahoo, but I'm not that mean. I do know he will never see me again. Not at his wedding, Not at his bachelor party not anywhere. He lost a lifelong friend today.

You know how this problem could have been solved? The Bachelor could have fucking asked me to borrow money to go on vacation. I'm a nice guy. I would have loaned it to him for 0 interest, and not given him a time table to pay me back. Instead he fucking lied to me and stole from me.

Friends are supposed to be friends. They aren't supposed to hurt you, or take things from you, or lie to you. How someone could do this makes no sense to me. How someone could do this to someone that has been one of his best friends since we were 11? I dont understand. My parents must have raised me better.

Focus: See focus above. Tell a story. Hopefully funnier than mine. Because mine just makes my blood boil.

2. Blue Dog

Blue Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Absentee Mod

3. Cult

Cult
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nothing that bad yet, just a bunch of high school drama shit.

When I was 16 I went on a road trip with one of my friends down to the University of Cincinnati to party with a mutual friend who went down there. We took "my car" which was essentially an old beater my parents let me use whenever I wanted just as long as I told them where I was going, so of course I lied to them about going to get belligerent for a weekend 200 miles away. About 1/4 of the way back to Cleveland the car broke down.

I had to call my parents and tell them what happened and they were not happy to say the least. The kid who I was riding with called our friend and had him pick him up and bring him back to Cinci and he stayed there a few more days until he could hitch a ride back up to Cinci. I was alone on the side of the interstate for hours which wasn't a big issue. I figured just because my parents found out I was doing something I shouldn't have been doesn't mean his parents need to find out too.

Turns out he left his cigarettes and a zippo lighter in my car. He called me when I was up in Cleveland and asked if I could bring it back down to him in Cincinnati. Obviously I refused seeing as I was already in a lot of trouble and didn't have a working car and he could just get another pack of cigarettes and a cheap lighter for the time being. He proceeded to tell a bunch of mutual friends that I attempted to steal his phone, wallet, and lighter. I gave him back his stuff anyways and he denied that he told anyone that I tried to steal from him. I never talked to the kid after that, but for a while he would still try and be buddy buddy with me when he needed a ride somewhere.

4. Tuesday

Tuesday
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Over the summer I bought a new (to me) VW GTI. I put about $1200 into brand new suspension, brakes, and tires. Thing ran like a top, and was set to last me easily through college. I loved having a 5 speed, and I could fold the seats down and almost fit an entire sheet of plywood in the hatch. Handled the shitty winters great too.

My room mate had wrecked his car in the fall, but our third room mate and myself had cars, so it really wasn't that big of a deal. Late Winter, he's borrowing my car for the night to DD some friends. I was at a hockey game so I had my own ride home. I wake up to a note taped to my door: "Can you take a look at the car?"

My heart sinks a little. I go outside and nothing really jumps out at me. The front grill/bumper is a bit out of alignment... and then I see the airbags deployed. Yep. Totalled the car. Turns out he rear ended some poor bastard. I never checked to see if there was legit frame damage, but the car was still drivable. I was fucking pissed. I gave him the option, either fix it to better-than-it-was condition, or buy it off me for what I'd put into it. He ended up buying it and drove it into the ground the rest of the year. Since then I've been driving my Dad's old cars. Now I'm in a fucking Saturn. Thank God for my motorcycle...

As to my friend, well now he's just a drinking buddy. I've learned to not trust him with anything. He's proven himself repeatedly to be unreliable, so if I go in with no expectations there aren't any problems. Like I said, he's a drinking buddy. We have some crazy and funny stories, but that's it. Live and Learn.

5. Sleeves

Sleeves
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I had a friend who was always an asshole ever since I met him when I was 12. Let him borrow money whenever he needed it, bought things for him even if it was something that he didn't really need such as something for xbox or something to that effect. This kid was my cousin through marriage and once I got to college we didn't really hang out at all, but we grew up basically as brothers. All my family knew him, my mom let him sleepover whenever he wanted to, we shared everything, but all he ever did was lookout for himself and didn't give a shit about others.

He never really showed my mom respect at all. He wouldn't listen to her, he would eat and leave messes all the time just little, ungrateful things. One day my brother skipped school and decided to have people over. The kid is six foot tall and has a beard so he was always able to get beer from cornerstores when he wanted it, even though he wasn't 21. Well my mom found out about this party and took him and my two brothers and started yelling at them. She was most pissed at him because he brought the beer. He got in her face and started argueing with her for about 5 minutes about how he's a man and she can't disrespect him and shit like that. I've never even really yelled back at my mom in my whole life, yet he thinks its ok to get in her face to the point where she thinks he may hit her if she touches him.

I dont mess with people like that anymore, I haven't talked to him since. Its been almost a year and I wonder if maybe I overreacted but its to the point where he has gotten almost everything he wanted his whole life from his friends and people around him. Now im the one with the power and Im trying to show him what its like to be on the other side of things by him losing the best friend he has ever had.

6. justinarelost

justinarelost
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I was a freshman in high school when my best friend came over. We had become quick friends when I had moved to a new town three years before then. We were always hanging out, doing whatever. He came over and had brought his CD book with him so we could listen to music. My dad took him home and as soon as we got back to our house my friend was calling saying he couldn't find his CDs. So I looked in the car, garage, family room, basically everywhere we had been. I even got my dad to drive the same route to his house to see if somehow they had magically fallen out of the car. I told him I was sorry but I had looked everywhere. Well like a week later a mutual friend told me that he was telling everyone I stole his CDs. So I asked him, all tough guy like, if he had told everyone that and he denied it. A few days later in an IM conversation he accused me of stealing his CDs because his dad was rich. I had enough of that shit. I didn't need my best friend accusing me of stealing his shitty Smash Mouth CD.

7. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In high school, I had a friend invite me to a party at her house. I assumed it would actually be a party. Instead, it was me and my stalker sanding the walls of the unfinished basement of a girl who was friends with my friend, but fucking hated me. While I was supposed to be doing that, my friend and the girl who hated me drank and "supervised" the wall sanding.

I used a hammer to bang a hole in her cement wall and called my mom to pick me up. I also put a dead spider in their pitcher of drinks.

8. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I haven't really had bad luck with friends, so I guess I'm set on that for now. But I have had a couple roommate issues that could have screwed me over big time.

Sophomore year in college and I'm living with 3 other guys (no homo), and I have a pretty decent mountain bike, the kind with shocks and whatnot for classes. Anywho, I have my bike always chained to the basement stairwell so it's out of the way of any fire escapes as my apt was a 3 story dealie. So I let my roommate borrow my bike to get to class one morning. He gets back and doesn't say anything to me. I get ready for class and head down to unlock my bike, but it's not there...just the lock is hooked to the railing. Mother fucker unlocked my bike, locked the lock, took my bike to class, and walked home after some bitch stole it...and he never said a word. So, I called the cops because he kept lying about what happened and I wanted my bike. Nothing ever got resolved.

Senior year in college and I have one roommate, it's after grad time and I'm looking for a subleaser for my room because I head off to OCS about a month later. I find this guy and he offers a reasonable amount for the 3 months left on the lease, so I take it. During OCS, I get a call from my apt complex saying he hasn't paid his part of the rent in two months, and it's on me. I can't really do anything from where I am because I get 20 hours a week if I'm lucky away from training. So my dad calls this kid and basically bitches him out for an hour about responsibilities and stuff. The kid pays rent the next day.
    About a month later I get a call from my buddy, roommate of the subleaser, saying that he came back from a canoe trip over the weekend and my XBOX and subleasers PS3 are gone. Just the consoles themselves...not the controllers, cords, and games or my fucking 50in hdtv, my roommates laptop, ipod, etc. Mother fucker said he locked the doors when he leaves, so I tossed up the argument that someone broke in through a screened and locked window, took just the consoles, and when he left, closed and locked the window and put the screens back on? The kid had no answer and I never saw anything from that.

Now I know that people can't be trusted with my shit.

9. PewPewPow

PewPewPow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Reading this thread just reaffirms why I don't let people borrow money or any of my shit.

10. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The rest of the money collected was for hotel rooms. I think 20 out of the 27 people had paid. So we didnt have enough to get all the tickets. I stepped up and bought them (with the intention of being paid back). He took the money we had collected with him on vacation (part of which was for me, other part for hotel).

And I should be calling them this evening to see about cancelling them. Happy Bachelor Party!!!!!

11. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    The man with the awful avatar is correct.

I guess you could say I grew up naive. I've slowly and systematically cut off most of my old friends, mostly because I am too nice and I end up getting taken advantage of. One guy still owes me a Windows XP Pro CD. I know I will not ever get this back since he's now a full-blown drug addict (We have a few mutual friends, and the source is very reliable) - he wasn't an addict when we were friends, anyway. Another douche took 2 CDs of mine and lied about it to my face (I SAW THEM in his fucking bag. Shithead). Yet another ditched our mutual ride home once, finding himself another ride and leaving me fucked, since I had no money and his new friend would not give me a ride. Another guy borrowed a college text book from me, then denied I'd loaned it to him. Fucker.

There's many more stories, but I couldn't be bothered to type them all out. I have shitty luck with friends, so now I no longer try. I now actually don't trust anyone further than I can throw them. Fuck people.

12. Veovis

Veovis
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I would definately cancell them. Fuck that party, if you plan to have nothing to do with him, them his party evaporating doesn't matter. Whatever deposit you don't get refunded you send a bill in a card to his wedding.

You have a few best friends in your life, usually less than a handfull, so dick move is a dick move but to 27 people means you're just pissing everyone off.

The other option is, everyone goes to the game except him.......

As for me, I honestly don't recall any of my good friends ever screwing me over royally. I know how many people I have helped move, and I know of the 2 that have ever helped me, but that ain't the end of the world by any means.

13. PewPewPow

PewPewPow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Have you considered perhaps that he preferred to take cash on vacation with him instead of relying on credit cards? Figure he's got what, $1300 from you guys? Depending where to and how long that money could cover his expenses for the trip, and he could book the hotel when he gets back.
    Obviously no one on the board knows the details but it sounds unlikely to me that someone about to get married would alienate a large chunk of his friends for that amount of money.
    Course if it turns out he did you could always completely fuck his marriage. Tequila, tranny strippers, and some pictures ought to do the trick.

14. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Between freshman and sophomore year of high school my two best friends growing up, one I knew from first grade the other from third grade, decided they wanted to try out pot and alcohol. Up until then I had been pretty outspoken against both not that I was super religious or a square, just that I really did not see the point of me doing it I really didn't care if other did. My friend Mike, from first grade and Id say the better of the two friends at that time, had always wanted to try out all the illicit stuff DARE tells you not to do. But he knew where I stood and never brought it up around me. My other friend lived in a much poorer part of our town and had a bunch of skeezeball hillbilly neighbors who had been smoking and drinking since elementary school.

Anyway I guess they felt like Id lecture them about it so they started ditching me on weekends to do this. One weekend they went camping with a bunch of people to drink. My friend Mike was at least honest this time and told me he thought Id be out of place when I called him, though I swore up and down that I didn't really give a shit what they did. The final straw came when he had a party at his house and lied to my face that he wasn't inviting people over, even though I talked to our other friend who told me about the party. The next day the party was big news since this really hot girl I had a crush on for years got drunk showed everyone her tits multiple times and hooked up with some random dude.

This was still before we had cars so multiple weekends where they ditched me meant I wasn't doing shit stuck at home, since they were my two core friends. Our other two core friends of had moved at the end of freshman year. I ended up on a different lunch schedule and made friends with a bunch of guys I had known through classes. Of coarse within the next year and a half I'd be drinking and smoking with them every weekend. It wasn't until Freshman year of college did I start hanging out with my old friends again.

My second friend from that story, Don my friend since 3rd grade, thinks it is hilarious to make up these fantastic lies about gossip he hears. Most of the time it is light hearted enough or he makes it abundantly clear he is joking. But after and incident where I hooked up with a co-worker ended up bad, she didn't want people to know we hooked up fearing she'd be seen as a slut so she claimed I had attacked her (a whole fucked up story in itself), he blabs his mouth to a good number of our friends. Fast forward to them confronting me about how he's saying some stupid shit. I confronted Don about who and what he told people. He swore up and down he hadn't said anything to anybody. I called him on it and threatened to beat his ass if I heard him pulling the shit again. As far as I know he hasn't.

15. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Senior year, I lived in an off-campus house with five other guys. Gas, electric and phone were all in one guy's name. The month of May (in which we graduated and left town after the 3rd weekend) one housemate was making almost daily phone calls to his sister who was studying abroad in Rome (we didn't know who he was talking to at the time). Fast forward to June, and housemate holding the bag gets the phone bill with like $500 worth of charges and got stiffed by douchebag housemate.

I'd hire a prostitute for the bachelor party and set it up so that she's aware he's the one paying. If she requires the cash upfront, pay her behind her back, but tell her pimp he stiffed her. Let her pimp kick his ass for you. And while he's unconscious, put him on a bus to Amarillo with no wallet or cash, an OU anti-Longhorns t-shirt, and a pre-paid child's cellphone that's preset to only dial your number so you can alternate between bitching and laughing at him.

You could also line his honeymoon luggage with large knives and help him get his marriage off to a nice start. In the airport security office. For hours.

16. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I thought something similar when I read the post. Isn't it possible there is a reasonable explaination for what he did? Isn't it worth it to wait on doing anything rash until you confront the guy and find out, for sure, exactly what happened and why?

You say this guy is a long term friend which leads me to believe he's never done anything like this in the many years you've known him so, like the post says above, why on earth would he make such a shady move mere weeks prior to his wedding? It doesn't make sense, at all.

Frebis, good friends are hard to come by, you should at least consider giving him the benifit of the doubt until he returns.

17. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is the only place (outside of the best man) that knows what has transpired. I used it to vent, because at the time I was furious (and this website is as close to anon as it comes (well at least none of my friends know about it)). I'm still pretty angry. But I plan on confronting him when he comes home, and asking what the deal is before I run his name through the mud.

The guy has always had an issue with money. See his grandparents are multimillionaires 30x over. When they die he will get a shit ton of money. Because of this he doesnt have much of a concept of money, no idea how to save and is in debt. He still owes me money from when we were in high school. I've always had a decent job, so I dont mind giving him a few bucks every once in a while. A few dollars is one thing. But this little slip up is going to make it difficult for me to put money into my savings account for the next month.

18. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not that I know the details of the situation either, but strange behaviour towards one's male friends is a well-known symptom of marriage in males. Perhaps the particular strain that has infected him has a shorter than average incubation time.