Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

9/27/13 WDT NSFW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Sep 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

I don't get one because my chocolate milk levels are sky high. Fuck that shit.

2. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The amount of mercury that thimerosal contains is less than a piece of fish, I'm glad to see however, that Jenny McCarthy has made a difference in America. My dad works for Pfizer, he does vaccine research, he gets a shot every year. I get annoyed when people say they still get sick even though they got a flu shot. The flu shot only prevents you from getting one of those three strains, you can still get a fucking cold, herpes, cholera etc. And I also get annoyed when people say its only ~50% effective. Its been a while since I've been in school but 50>0.

Really there is no significant downside. I got my shot yesterday and got a slight fever, woke up with a headache, but thats my immune system reacting to the dead virus. All in all, minor annoyances. I think a big reason for the apprehension is some people have a deep seeded distrust of the pharmas. Contrary to popular belief, Big Pharma is not out there to screw people, there are good men/women in those companies doing cutting edge research.

I've had a flu so bad in the past it knocked me out of school for over a month. Granted it may not have been a strain that was targeted that year, but anything that can potentially stop that hellacious misery is something I endorse.

3. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yea? Well, I don't wanna get the Autism. You can take your logic and book lernin' and shove it.

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I hope you all die from the flu this year, *especially* the Canadians. My worst-case scenario is I might wake up with autism and I won't have to go to work anymore. You'll all die like that chick in Little Women. Not that I saw the movie or read the book, but still.

5. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, but fish generally have enough selenium to bind with the mercury and have it pass through your body. Also the flu shot is going into your blood stream, not your digestive system, that's really not an apple to apple comparison.

6. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

I do not trust the white man's pointed medicine stick, though I will occasionally chuckle at his stylized situational comedy.

#766 Nom Chompsky, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  7. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Do you get dental fillings? Because there's mercury in those too. Also, I'm pretty sure mercury going through the GI tract doesn't make a difference. Its a heavy metal, it'll get processed. Genuinely, its nothing to worry about, drinking alcohol is far more dangerous. The flu shot has been around long enough that if there was anything to worry about we'd know. I personally trust the AMA, NHI, etc. I'm sure there are plenty of internet theories out there about Pfizer putting microchips in the flu shots, but that doesn't mean thats the best way to think. The flu shot has decades of research, so much money has been poured into it, and genuinely, its not a high profit item for the companies. No one gains anything for there being something poisonous in it. For many people, the flu is far more dangerous than any perceived exaggerated and sensationalized threat from thimerosal. Read the journals, not the internet, about that compound. I'm not taking health advice from Jenny fucking McCarthy or some random dude on the internet. Also, that compound is so common in vaccines, that if it had any significant effects we'd know by now. There simply isn't enough of it there to cause any sort of reasonable and founded concern.

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Getting my vaccine today. It made my wife sick for a day but its worth it to not get sick ten times.

Oh, and enough with the shit about planting chips in the body. America already has a device that monitors every single citizen. It called an Action News Helicopter.

9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hmm, which one is the better band name?

Magically Autistic
    Magical Autism
    The Autistic Magi
    Autistic MBLREGHQ! Definitely 100 Dollars

10. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is ridiculous to believe, you can confidently say there are no known side effects and that's true, but to think that we are so advanced with our ability to measure every single variable with a given treatment and conclusively say there is no harm is just not true.

And just to be clear, I'm not trying to be a whack job about this, if you're a high risk individual (old, low Vit D levels, low testosterone, live in a compact area) getting the flu shot is probably worth the potential of the risks, which I admit are unproven. But I'm low risk (young, high Vit D, high testosterone, live in the boonies) so I don't think it's worth it for me.

11. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's funny y'all are talking about the flu shot, because I've been debating it in my head. I've never gotten the flu shot, didn't even know it was a thing until my first marriage. He always got the flu shot. I decided to continue not getting it since I never got the flu. But when we had a kid, I agreed with his preference for her to get the vaccine every year (when she first became eligible) and so she has. To this day, my daughter and I have both only had the flu once - H1N1. She got it because obviously that strain wasn't in her vaccine. I caught it from her.

Fast forward to now, I am on a new insurance plan with my agency that pays $$$ if you commit to 3 out of 4 "do rights.' I've done 2 so far that I do every year and so it is no skin off my nose. One of the other two is the flu shot and the fourth is something that would be a big pain in the ass and I don't want to do it.

So I guess this means if I want those $$$ I need to get a flu shot. I'm not anti-vax or scared of needles or any of that stuff. I guess the irrational part of me thinks my body will be shocked and appalled. "What you don't trust me? I've kept you in amazing health for decades, and then you pull this on me? Fuck you, I'm going to give you the plague."

12. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Do we have to go through this flu shot business every year? The joy is no one forces you to get one, so Frank can continue to be paleo in his attempts to become a super human and the rest of us can become autistic.

13. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Both times I've gotten a flu shot, I developed pneumonia later in the year, and spent ridiculous sums of money on medication. No thanks. I'll take my chances. I don't need or want to be hit with a superbug. I'm the parent who, when I'm told my kid has a viral infection, questions the amoxicillan prescription. If I or they don't need it, it isn't used.

And it's not about staying paleo, for me. For me it's just about letting my body do work. Superbugs freak me the fuck out, man.

14. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No, but you do get called a stupid conspiracy theorist for not getting one.

15. Slivers

Slivers
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Yeah I'm the same way. I have never gotten seriously sick besides a stomach bug one time and I get a cold for maybe a week or two twice a year when the seasons change. I don't think I've gotten a flu shot since I was a kid. I leave for the military soon and believe they make you get a shot every year though which kind of sucks.

16. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The first year they did that I was pregnant with my third child and I fought and argued because I did NOT want the shot. My leadership told me my immune system was compromised because I was pregnant...

Nope. Didn't get it then, do not want it now. For every one who does it, I get it, that's fine, but it isn't for me.

17. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love the flu shot discussions. It's not like any deadly diseases have been eradicated because of vaccinations and "big pharma" or anything because our bodies with enough sunlight and milk can stop everything. Don't you dare google Smallpox, Rinderpest, Polio or tuberculosis, everything out there about their vaccinations is a lie!

For realsies. If you haven't gotten the flu, don't introduce your body to the flu. If you do get sick, once in awhile, you might want to take it. I went awhile without getting it, I can't remember if I got the flu or not, but I get it now and besides that pain in my arm made worse by my friends punching it, I'm fine.

ProTip, get the flu shot, then take a day off because you say you're feeling side effects even though you're not.

18. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I get a flu shot every year in October. Within a month of receiving a shot, I get pulled over for expired car registration. Every. Fucking. Year. I'm skipping it this time. Big pharma isn't getting any more of my car registration money.

19. Coke Bottle Casualty

Coke Bottle Casualty
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

It's also not a fair comparison because the body excretes ethylmercury (thimerosal) and methylmercury (fish) at different rates. However, the whole argument is moot because we're talking about an annual dosage and there's absolutely no evidence that doses of ethylmercuy at that frequency and concentration have a measurable impact on the body.

The flu shot, on an individual basis, is hit or miss. But there is much evidence that when more people get it, less people get the flu, give it to high risk members of the population, who in turn die/suffer serious complications less. From a public health perspective, it's about risk management.

20. The Dread Pirate

The Dread Pirate
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I get my free flu shot at work. I probably interact with 100-200 people with the flu every winter and have yet to get sick. You are all idiots for not getting it.

Now leave me alone so I can count cards and do other Rainman shit from all the Autism it gives me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.