Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

7/7/17 WDT NSFW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Jul 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah... "F-16 on take-off" is a fairly good description. It'll burn just about any fuel and has amazing control and heat output... I love cooking with it.

On that trip almost all of the campsites were fairly off the beaten path and nobody else was in sight. Due to the forest fire issues in BC a lot of the remote campsites are actually set up with concrete pads and stuff to help keep shit from catching on fire. So you may have a single campsite in the middle of nowhere with a picnic table, concrete pad, and firepit with built-in cooking grate surrounded by gravel.

A few trails have 10-man cabins that are kept stocked with firewood for cross country skiiers or fishermen... no roads anywhere near them.

BC really does do Parks and Rec the right way.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

He starts to open it up after the initial pre-heat at the 3:05 mark.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Yeah, those things are ass-kickers. We have your typical two-burner Coleman, it's also great and easy as pie to use.

I really like the recent rise of "propane campfires" to combat fire bans. Propane-fired rings so you don't have to sit in darkness during dry weeks and also don't worry about embers or extinguishing. Simple and brilliant.

4. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know if it's just the lightweight stoves we have (we're cheap bastards) but it seems like they only do low heat or ultra boil temperature without much in between. We just boil water or cook freeze dried mashed potatoes and rice on them and do the rest over the fire when possible. Still, they are so much better than the heavy Coleman rigs for canoeing trips when weight and size counts. That wind shield thing is another must with them.

Last weekend was my bachelor party and my brother got a houseboat for the weekend on a big lake in the Superior National Forest, up in northern MN. Scenery was a lot like the Boundary Waters and campsites were similar with the exception of having a shit ton of beer and sleeping on the boat. Fishing sucked but it was still a great time, 10/10 would do it again.

5. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We are going on page two of this WDT with camping stove talk:

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That thing is incredibly controllable... I can do any kind of cooking with it that I would be able to do with a gas cook top at home. Insane amount of heat to get big cast iron crazy hot, or low enough to fine cook scrambled eggs in a non-stick pan.

I can live with the noise quite easily.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Sorry... didn't mean to distract you from talking about puking on your own dick while trying to blow yourself... my bad.

Carry on.

8. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Curious what kind of tools y'all take with you when you go camping? I always bring along my parang style machete, as well as a hatchet, lock blade folding knife, folding shovel (one of those military entrenching tools, just to save on space) and a ton of paracord.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Depends on where, for how long, amenities at the site, and purpose of the trip.

"Going Big" for straight up drinking/camping at a site means chain saw, big pop-up with battery powered lights, fooseball table (optional), full-sized bbq, 8 person tent with cots, and lots of food and booze. Decadent means bringing the generator and the fully-auto espresso machine.

"Lightweight Fishing" means pontoon boat, fishing gear, lightweight tent, couple of knives (filet and bush), small axe (or large hatchet), machete, and lightweight cooking gear (like previously mentioned stove).

Then there's anything in between.

If it's a group event, I'll usually whip up some killer sangria a couple weeks in advance, and prep a bunch of kick-ass food.

By far the biggest life-saver has been the pop-up with LED Christmas lights strung up in it powered by a deep cycle marine battery. Whether it's too hot/sunny or rainy, being able to sit around outside while being out of the elements makes all the difference.

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Even Florida politics is completely fucking insane!

In a debate, a question came up about reparations. The dude literally shouted at his opponent (who is white) and his supporters "if you don't like it in America go back to Africa! Go back to Africa!!!"

Yeah I don't think he's gonna win.

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The hatchet is first on my list. I don't even go glamping without my trusty uber-sharp tomahawk nearby. A splitting maul is even better if you have the room.

Also, have plenty of tarps and spare chord/rope. Rain sucks no matter what and the dryer things are the easier life is.

12. greybeard

greybeard
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Beer. QED

13. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree, hatchet, shovel, tarps, plenty of lye, a nice truck to help move heavy things, a nice remote location, also a burner phone always helps. Dam iphones always ruin camping.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

If you're camping where you have cell phone coverage, you're doing it wrong.

15. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yea, I was going for a murder joke, and failed.

Cell phones do ruin camping and if you can use one where you are, I agree, you are doing it wrong. You can not camp and use electronics.

16. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why are people wearing headphones while they drive? Not the ear bud type either, I'm talking the big can, over-the-ear type of head phones in their cars, driving? Isn't that kind of dangerous, you aren't exactly spatially aware when you do that and what about the car stereo?

17. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So in a nice nod to how incompetent they are, the department that fired me sent my paycheck to my Denver address. They didn't bother to ask me my current address before sending out the check.

I don't know if it shoes incompetence or if its just another small insult from that group

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I find it dangerous and stupid as fuck. Drunk driving is becoming the LESS dangerous way to distract people behind the wheel. At least most impaired people try to get away with it in the late, less busy street hours.

19. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Because they're idiots? Fortunately its illegal in Minnesota and must be enforced too because its a very rare sight around here.

20. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Gregg Allman had finished recording a new album before he died, and it's supposed to be released soon. I went to the Rounder (his label) website to see there was an update or release date. The individual artist sections usually have that info, touring info, etc.
    http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/artists/gregg-allman/
    upload_2017-7-20_14-11-33.png

I don't think that's an email I'm ever going to get.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.