Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

7/21/17 WDT NSFW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Jul 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think from now on, all random stories in the WDT about establishments should include how much the employees smoke.

"I went to visit my mom in the hospital, and several of the nurses were hot, but none of them smoke."
    "I found a sale on tacos at El Guapos this weekend, and all those cooks smoke a pack a day."
    That sort of thing.

2. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I like this discussion, weather its hardware, tools, hockey equipment or fishing gear, I believe in spending more in quality companies rather than the stuff offered at the big retailers.

Btw, I must be the worst fly fisher ever. Either this shit is really hard, or I suck or I suck and its hard

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I try to be smart about what high quality tools I need to pay the money for, so I can get more tools.

And yeah, fly fishing can be quite hard. Colours, depth, the size and type of fly you're using, presentation, time of day, temperature, location, are all KEY... if you fuck up even one of those things you're screwed. Getting a good fishing map can also be really, really helpful... lets you figure out where the fish will be, based on underwater topography.

When in doubt, go with a smaller fly.

Either you match the hatch, or you go fucking wild and use something that doesn't look natural.

Taking a 2 hour "intro to fly fishing" course with a local who knows their shit will amaze you with how much you'll learn from it.

4. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

God help me, this is one of the reasons I'm -hooked- on it. Its hard and I like that. I like learning and getting better, I like that its not a perfect formula and there's a lot of intuition involved. That and spending time in the water is just incredibly relaxing.

However, I do not suggest tying knots with a buzz, or borderline drunk, its hard enough sober.

5. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I sold her for 8 years great stuff you should see the pile of jet tools I have.

I really like master craft maximum stuff. Lifetime warranty no issues returning it.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, the two big portable socket set boxes I have are Master Craft Maximum and they are great (except the box fell apart)... both picked up at Canadian Tire at something insane like 70% off or something... physically could not not buy them.

Fuck me... just went to the site to give a link for example and found this, at 70% off.... http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maximum-impact-socket-set-48-pc-0589146p.html#srp

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

When I'm bored I like to drive to the local Princess Auto (our version of Harbor Freight), and Canadian Tire. Sometimes the sales they have on are mind-numbing, and a great way to build out your tools for pennies on the dollar. Nothing worse than needing a tool and having to go find it and pay full price for it...

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I just bought a 300-piece set for an insane deal yesterday at Crappy Tire. It even has ratchet combo wrenches, I saved hundreds on this deal.

ALWAYS wait for socket sets to go on sale.

9. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My rule for buying from princess auto is stuff with no moving parts.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Princess Auto is also good if you need to have a lot of tools but you work amongst thieves. It makes sense just to buy cheap hammers and channel locks that you won't miss/wear out quick if you don't trust your co-workers.

Also, but your PPE at Princess. It's the cheapest place for it.

11. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So moving, I'm getting ready to move again, its becoming part of my summer fun routine. Who here is tempted to say fuck it, and hire someone to move them?

The only thing I'm getting help with is the mattress box springs and thats about it. I have a friend coming to help with that and I don't want to abuse his generosity. Everything else I can move by myself with a dolly.

Moving is such a pain in the ass though. When I unpacked once I got to Minni my dad and I got into a serious fight because we were both hot, tired, sweaty and there was a time crunch to get moved in before he flew out.

...I just found out on the news drinking is linked to lower male fertility. Just another great reason to drink. Thank you alcohol!

#171 toddamus, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  12. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm pretty sure the only reason I have my oldest and another on the way is due to alcohol, but your results may vary.

13. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fair enough. I guess its not a safer bet than using a rubber.

14. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I had always been against paying someone to help move, that is until the last time I moved. My wife was pregnant. And it was really hot out. I paid $400 for two guys and a truck to come out. They moved a two bedroom apartment 30 miles in 4 hours. It was easy. I felt dumb for not doing this every time I move. I will never move myself again.

15. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

The military hired people to move us. That poor guy who got assigned wrapping everything in the kitchen....it took him the same time it took the other two guys to pack up the rest of the apartment.

They way way way overwrapped our stuff but it was an across the ocean move and they were professional movers. I had pounds and pounds of pristine quilted packing paper when we finally finished unpacking on the other side. On the plus side we (like good little hoarders) carefully stacked and rolled the paper up and donated it to the art department of a local elementary school, so some good came out of it.

Dad carefully cuts the tape off presents with a pocket knife. He grew up poor AF and they saved all wrappings for reuse. I learned well.

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Movers make life easy but I prefer friends because they accept payment in beer. Which you get to partake is as well.

17. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It would take friends the entire day. And everyone would be pissed at each other. I avoided all of that.

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

My grandfather has dementia out the ass, can't remember my name for anything and each time I show him a picture of my 3 year old he is reminded I am married and also that I have a child. Yes he still saves the fucking wrapping paper. Old habits die hard I guess.

Also, my wife went to the doctor today and turns out she is 2 cm dilated. So, yeah, our son will be another preemie, which we kinda expected. At least I get to meet him soon though. On the downside, apparently I have to stay sober enough to drive from now on, which really wrecks my plans.

19. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I had a friend ask me and one other guy to help her empty an entire storage container...for some tacos. But that's not how she presented the situation. She asked us if we could help her move a couple of big things only and that "everything else was pretty much done." We got there and the thing was packed.

But we agreed to help. I never spoke to her again after that.

20. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When I was with my old firm, the running joke was always reaching for our wallets if somebody said, "I'm going to be moving next weekend, can you help?" We had a new young guy say it one time, and we were all reaching for our wallets. He said, "I don't get it." I pulled out $20 and said, "If you really need help from me, here's some money to help you hire a mover. I will be at home, not getting yelled at by your wife." He laughed and didn't take my money.

The following Monday, I asked him how it went. He said, "I should've taken your money." and I asked him who got yelled at. "Just me."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.