Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

7/21/17 WDT NSFW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Jul 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hired movers for a two block move.

Yeah, I'm pretty cool with that.

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I kept my shit down to the bare necessities when I was in college. Bed, dresser, clothes, kitchen ware, love seat, and recliner. My buddy with a truck, thank god, is one of those never let you down, never refuse to help types. When I moved home after graduating I just tossed the furniture and he had like 4 things in his truck. The rest I had crammed into my car and taken home earlier. I hate putting people out.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Or... they know the absolute insane amounts of abuse that the containers experience when being moved across an ocean. The mere fact that everything arrived in once piece speaks to that.

Until you start getting older, and get more and better and heavier stuff, and appreciate the lack of time your friends have because they have their own shit to go through.

I've always paid for moving, or done it myself (as was the case of my last cross-country move), and only involved friends as a good-bye affair or a house warming.

Every now and then I'll have that one thing where I need an extra set of hands, and will ask for help, but it will be somewhat minor and not really be taxing to that person.

I never ask anything more than advice when it comes to someone's professional services. Are you an accountant, or lawyer, or mechanic, or something? I won't ask for you to come over on the weekend and help me with something. I've had friends show up with a case of beer when they heard I was working on the race car or something, but that's them looking for an excuse to get out of the house for a bit, not a pain-in-the-ass commitment.

Call me crazy, but I have a huge amount of respect for other people's time, because I kind of expect the same.

4. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You had a dresser in college? That's fancy. I had two laundry baskets. One was clean and one was dirty. I also slept on an air mattress for a few years.

I really didn't see anything wrong with that at that time. Wow.

5. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We recently moved into our new house and since the wifey and I had helped a several of our friends move multiple times in the last 5 years, we called in some favors. We still supplied the donuts, pizza, beer and cold pool though.

6. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nearly every move, and there have been plenty of them, were by myself or with friends helping. Until the last time. At that point I was moving an entire house full of crap, and was a fully formed adult with a decent job. Time to let someone else do the heavy lifting . We've been in this house 17 years now. I'm not moving myself next time either.

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ow I totally wanted to go the two laundry basket route. My mom pushed it on me, looking out for my slothful ways, when we got it for free cleaning out my uncle's dad's nursing home room, it was really small but gave off a less flophouse vibe then not having it. Most everything wound up on the floor anyway. I still don't get the idea of ferrying clean clothes between levels of your house once theyve been cleaned. I hang everything I need on a wrack next to washer in the basement and just go down there to dress after a shower. Im putting a washer and dryer on the same floor as my bedrrom when I get a house.

8. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I like the idea of having an upstairs laundry room if the bedrooms are upstairs. I have never actually seen that in a house, though.

9. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My house has the laundry right outside of the master bedroom on the top floor. It's awesome. The only drawback was getting the washer and dryer up the narrow stairway.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

What could possibly go wrong?

Be aware that hoses and fittings on stuff like washers are crap, and will fail, and if you have an upstairs washer and it fails, then it will leak out a bunch of water, and it will find its way downstairs.

This is what a couple in Canada came home to after a week-long vacation down South.

[​IMG]

Flow detection shut-off valves and good, dependable hoses and fittings cost a fair bit of cash, but are worth every penny. Also be sure to have a proper drain that can handle the flow.

11. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Yeah, that's the reason I thought about when thinking why I don't see it around top often. Lots to go wrong in the wrong place.

Tbh I think I would prefer a single floor home. I manage to hit my head on the handle of the fridge and the kitchen cabinets and fall over my own feet on the regular. I think in an effort to reduce my medical bills I should probably go ranch style (which are making a comeback in popularity around here anyway).

12. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh, yeah, Mr. Fancy? I had no laundry baskets. I had two piles on the floor: "this goes with me next time I am home" and "meh, I can probably re-wear this."

13. Whatthe...

Whatthe...
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Our laundry is on the second floor of our house and it's awesome. I would say it's becoming more common in new builds. Almost every plan we looked at when we were building our house had second floor laundry. A properly sized drain is a must, even better would be a curb and sloped floors.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yep... new houses that have a specifically built room for laundry are becoming more and more popular, but they are constructed much like a shower stall. More and more insurance companies are either raising premiums for 2nd story washers or requiring proof of minor preventative upgrades.

What I'm really surprised at are dishwashers. My sister's just let go (shitty Chinese fittings on the ends of the supplied hoses that popped off after 2 years) and it flooded all the hardwood on her main floor... kitchen, attached dining room, and most of the hallways back to the bedrooms. Thousands of dollars of damage. Needless to say they upgraded the hoses with the new dishwasher.

But everything is getting cheaper and cheaper, and is becoming so much more prone to failure. I've had to replace the ends on 3 hoses this year alone because brand new hoses had the ends basically wear out by screwing it on and off twice... crazy thin metal that just snapped.

15. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why does Coca Cola gotta fuck up my shit? Did they learn nothing with New Coke?! Most restaurants around here, and places like the Braves' stadium, have finally started carrying Coke Zero. Who out there in the soda-consuming public is so stupid that they didn't know that Coke Zero was sugar free?
    http://www.businessinsider.com/coke-zero-to-coke-zero-sugar-backlash-2017-7

"They" always discontinue the things I use or consume. As everybody's favorite Star Wars character JarJar Binks would say, "my give up."

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I imagine it has to do with the internal marketing guys always trying to make things better... not once has anyone ever said, "we're done here... nothing more we can do".

Somewhere there is a whole department validating their existence by doing this.

17. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought the new Coke Zero Sugar, was actually a different formula vs Coke Zero, that has been used in the rest of the world for a few years now.

18. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes, it is formulated to taste more like regular Coke.

Eh it's all good. Zima is back.

19. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    It went away?

The funniest thing about the whole New Coke fiasco was they later found out that it was Coke's own myriad of products that were cutting into their sales, not Pepsi.

20. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

A downside of an older house: no laundry room. Our washer and dryer are in the garage, and I hate it. There's no throwing dirty shit in or letting clean stuff sit in the dryer because I'm too lazy to fold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.