Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

7/18/14 WDT Thread FIRE!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Jul 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

We all, well most of us, the cool kids that is, have been to a bonfire. For whatever reason (fire) shit gets crazy. I had a friend passout laying with his head too close to the fire. He was wearing a straw-like hipster hat (party foul). Not the best place to catch some zzzz's.
    [​IMG]

*Inspired by Netts fire pics. And Nett, be safe dude. That's scary shit to us commoners.

2. stopthemonster

stopthemonster
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

12 Years ago (in the years of high school) I dated a girl from the rival school. I became friends with many of her classmates and even helped build their homecoming bonfire. I snuck in over a thousand bottle rockets which in hind sight was not as funny as it seemed. Shit flew everywhere and people and cars were hit. No serious injuries luckily...

3. happyfunball

happyfunball
    Expand Collapse
    overly defenCive stuffed cougar

We had our first fire the other weekend. My son was the typical boy and had to keep throwing stuff in it. Or catching his stick on fire. We started talking about their school reading and The Outsiders came up. So I relayed my story of how I wrote a fan letter at 14 to C. Thomas Howell (i.e. Ponyboy) and told him how awesome I thought he was and that if he was ever filming a movie in my town I'd DEFINITELY go see him (because they filmed soooo many movies in Smalltown PA). Surprisingly, he never wrote back. He must have known what I looked like back then. My kids thought it was funny. And kind of sad.

His career has really taken off too.

4. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Our bonfires are much more tame these days, but we still enjoy Bourbon and Bonfire nights in the 'hood.

A guy I used to work with was fired after a client caught him on a computer at the job site writing a letter to Enya. This dude had to have been 55 at the time. We had a great time speculating on the contents of the letter . . .

"Dearest Enya,

I am your biggest fan. Well, maybe not your biggest fan, but your oldest fan. Or your oldest fan who is also big. Or something.

Your music moves me in ways that no music ever has, unless I've remembered to take my Metamucil that morning. I have enclosed a lock of my back hair so you can truly understand how much i care for you.

Yours Forever in soaring melodies,

. . . . . . ."

5. voltronman

voltronman
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Central Washington is on fire. 30-40 homes have been destroyed. The visibility issues caused a 21 car pile-up on I-90 yesterday that still has the East-bound lanes closed. I live in Eastern WA and the smoke that is carrying over has caused our skies to go orange (I would post a picture but I live in the early 2000's and still have a flip phone). My lungs hurt. So right now I hate fire.

6. Tim

Tim
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Speaking of fire, I am headed up to Detroit for the next couple days for work. I'm glad it's not Devil's Night. I'm hoping to avoid the other kind of fire too. Wish me luck!

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Speaking of fire, this is what the mountain beside my house looks like this morning.

There have been six AT-208's bombing the fire since dawn, only taking noticeable breaks to go refuel. They are incredibly quick at scooping up water from the lake and getting back onto the fire.

They fly over my house at about 750' as part of their approach... it's loud, but very reassuring.

Here's a video I took of them doing a run... only managed to catch the last 2 planes in the series... 4 more were right ahead of them.

Actually looks like it'd be a lot of fun to do, if it weren't a fire threatening people's houses and stuff.

Attached Files:

#7 Nettdata, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  8. The Dread Pirate

The Dread Pirate
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Fuck brush fires.

Fighting a brush fire consists mainly of "yard work" activities like raking leaves, cutting up logs, and spraying down dry areas (watering the grass). That's not fun, interesting, or exciting. Plus, all your hose gets filthy and covered in mud. Ugh... I don't envy those guys one bit. Luckily, I work in an urban department where the largest wooded area is like five acres.

9. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Our son has finally outgrown that for the most part, but our daughter who is 12 loves to play with fire. She begs to light any fire we have outside - charcoal grill, bonfire, whatever. If she starts playing in it though I start singing "Rise up, gather 'round, rock this place to the ground...." She doesn't appreciate my humor, but she has started singing the song herself though. I'm proud that I've taught her the words to another awesome '80's song. Mom's not so happy.

10. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Great now I'll have Def Leppard stuck in my head ALL DAY. Thanks for that.

11. Angel_1756

Angel_1756
    Expand Collapse
    The Big Four-Oh

I went to a Def Leppard concert a few years ago. It was a damn good time.

Here you go - fat girl's bar anthem:

#11 Angel_1756, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  12. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Step away from the cupcake

Yikes, Angel. Even I'm not dumb enough to call shegirl fat. I hope you don't get banned for a month. You're getting edgy in your old age.

13. Angel_1756

Angel_1756
    Expand Collapse
    The Big Four-Oh

Goddammit, not what I meant.

But any time you go to a club and Pour Some Sugar On Me comes on, the demographic on the dance floor changes.

Shegirl, I did NOT call you fat. Promise.

14. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

15. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ryangrepper/coolest-cooler-21st-century-cooler-thats-actually" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ry ... s-actually</a>

This cooler is the coolest cooler I've ever heard of. It comes with a built in battery powered blender. Also has a Bluetooth speaker and USB charger. Not to mention a lot of other cool stuff. I think I'm popping my kick starter cherry.

16. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Damn... that is very cool.

18. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

3000 mAh battery seems awfully small for that purpose, wonder why, with the weight already up at 30 lbs., they didn't go for a bigger battery? That's not even enough to give one full charge to a tablet.

19. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I know you didn't. Don't listen to RoM, he just wants to see us scissor anyway.

20. stopthemonster

stopthemonster
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I agree, I'd want to break every bone in his body.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.