Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

7/11/14 WDT NSFW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. happyfunball

happyfunball
    Expand Collapse
    overly defenCive stuffed cougar

So I dropped the kids off at camp yesterday and decided to do some stuff by myself today and I am going on an airboat ride. I go in to pay and I think the guy at the register felt sorry for me being by myself and gave me the military discount which was 50% off. I told him I wasn't military but he said he was feeling nice. So I'm thinking everywhere I go I'm going to look sad and lonely.

And they are now telling me they are taking group photos. Maybe I'll sneak into one.

I didn't.

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Man if I was a good looking chick I would be taking guys for everything they're worth.

3. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm the lone guy in my department at the office who does oil changes, etc. myself, which kinda surprises me. I'll take advantage of the $10-15 oil change specials when they roll around (like I just did this morning) but still enjoy the satisfaction of handling little mechanical tasks here and there.

The only other scenario in which I pay for oil changes is when temps dip below zero... fuck that.

Kick things up a notch... Declare yourself a pirate and commandeer an airboat.

4. Angel_1756

Angel_1756
    Expand Collapse
    The Big Four-Oh

In other news, I got a discount code for my ereader so I bought a trilogy (to maximize my discount) called The Oslo Trilogy. The main character's name is Harry Hole. This may have been a bad purchase.

5. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The only thing more annoying than doing bullshit reading for a class is having to watch a bullshit video for the class.

This video is about special education, and he is speaking like I am the one in special education. "Children...pulled out early...and excluded..were...less likely...to ever...catch up." It is complete with bullshit piano score and scrolling photos.

I don't think I'm going to make it through these 25 minutes.

6. Hoosiermess

Hoosiermess
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Feeling better about being a senior citizen not that you're enjoying the discounts?

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I change my oil and dump it in the woods behind my house like god intended.

8. MobyDuk

MobyDuk
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Hey, at least it's not Hairy.

Nesbo's stuff is a little over the top, but well written and translated. I prefer Hakan Nesser and Henning Mankell for Nordic mysteries.

9. MobyDuk

MobyDuk
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Re oil changing, Jiffy Lube and it's ilk have been sued more than once for failing to properly tighten the oil filter and/or oil plug with catastrophic results. Dealer less so because they normally have trained techs, but who you gonna trust?

10. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Likewise year I bought an oil filter at a Napa store (Napa silver) and it was missing the gasket ring... a nice surprise mid oil change. I've double-checked them in-store since.

11. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have heard before that oil change places shouldn't be used because vacuuming out the oil doesn't get all of the oil out. The oil may stick in certain spots, so it is better to do it the old fashioned way.

Any truth to that?

12. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My brother once got to do an engine swap on a pretty new 7-series because the high school dropouts at the discount oil change place forgot to put oil back in and the motor blew up.

I don't understand having a car like that and not spending the little extra at the dealership.

13. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have never heard of a quick lube place using a vacuum for an oil change.

Always pull the plug and drain it, the plug is there for a reason.

14. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Any reputable oil change place should not/will not vacuum out your oil. That's typically for people who are too lazy to change their filter, so they get one of these pumps that will vacuum the oil out from the top, and refill it with new oil, preventing them from having to get under the car. And yes, that won't get all the oil out, but nobody should be doing that anyway because the filters don't last forever.

I've never heard of an oil change shop using one of those, though. Any oil change place that actually replaces your filter is going to drop the pan, take out the oil plug and let gravity do its thing because they're not going to want to be covered with oil when they take the filter off, and they already have to be under the car anyway.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I've never heard of an oil place dropping the pan unless there's a major leak... and it's not required to change the filter. They'll just pull the plug and drain it. Unless you're talking about putting the empty drip tray on the ground and then pulling the plug...

16. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I think I was just responding too quickly and my brain subbed in a similar, familiar phrase in place of what I wanted to say. I intended to say that they put down a pan/bucket/whatever to catch the oil (i.e. coming out of the drain plug) vs. pumping it into something with those oil vacuums.

Frankly, I no longer change my own oil. I did for a while when I was broke but my mechanic charges $18 and vacuums the carpets at the same time while I get lunch next door. Hard to argue with the time efficiency - I stick to working on my car when it saves me substantial amounts of money.

17. MobyDuk

MobyDuk
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

On some 911s, mostly the later air/oil cooled ones, you will leave a couple of quarts of old oil in the car due to an oil cooler mounted under the right front fender and the oil lines to and fro. AFAIK Porsche does not require draining these, which would be a PITA. I have heard a couple of guys say they drain the entire system, but the vast majority do not. Of course, these cars hold 12ish quarts unlike most cars which hold only5-6 quarts.

18. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not engine oil, but my automatic transmission in my 2002 Honda civic the only way in and out of it is through the dip stick. It take 6L of oil, but you can only change 3 at once.

19. snaredrumofbeer

snaredrumofbeer
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I wasn't sure as to where this post would belong, I've decided to stick it here.

I've been part of this community since 2009 and I figured I was ready to share my story with y'all. On July 2nd 2014, my son and ex-wife of 8 years along with my daughter were on Lake Conroe and were struck by another boat. My ex-wife Kristina Frost died on impact, her body wasn't recovered until the next day. My son Jason Frost was life flighted to Memorial Herman, where the doctors operated on him, his brain was at 60% damaged permanently when i arrived, as well as internal bleeding in his intestines. I held him and prayed and ultimately took him off life support. It only took 2 minutes after I took him off the support for his heart to stop beating. I held him until his last breath. My daughter, Savannah Frost had been life flighted with her brother, suffering from a broken right tibula, and fractured collar bone and she had bite through her tongue. She has made a full recovery from the accident and is expect to live in this world with me. She is all I have left. I am a man, but I'm not built to bury my son. I buried him at Rosewood funeral home in Humble. He is solely survived by Myself and my daughter. This is the most painful and undescribable thing I've ever had to go through.

LINK 1.;http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...e-Conroe-boat-crash-remembered-at-5601853.php

Link 2; http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/humb...cle_5662d174-b63d-52cd-b5bc-1c09a4ddd179.html

LINK 3; http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/...east-One-Person-Injures-Others-265481911.html

There are several other news reports, I was immediately contacted by The Chron, but I denied them a story. It was all over the news and social media.

I have remained diligent and stead fast as a father to Savannah and I am expecting a son on July 28th of this year. I love this board and I felt as if I should share my story. If anybody would like to know how you/they can help, We have a foundation made for Savannah and I, along with our medical expenses.http://www.youcaring.com/memorial-fundraiser/frost-children-memorial-medical-fund/199009

I'm not looking for hand outs but it does help. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Cheers TIB

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

No worries... and I'm sure I speak for us all when I say I'm so sorry to hear about what you've gone through, and wish you all the best moving forward.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.