Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

6 feet under, and other misconceptions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Samr, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The 100 Years war lasted longer than 100 years. It lasted 116.

Panama Hats are made in Equador. I guess the name sounds cooler.

"Catgut" comes from sheep or horses.

"Camel's Hair" brushes are actually made of fucking SQUIRREL FUR. Feel fancy now, Fancy Guy?

The United States invented French Fries.

The "Black Box" in an airplane is orange.

Russians celebrate the October Revolution in November.

Hipsters aren't actually cool. They're actually utterly pathetic, and thanks to popularity amongst low-lives they have spread into our country like Spanish Flu as far North as Ottawa now (it may be worse, I don't know). Whichever section of New York City hell-spawned this fucktard revolution, FUCK YOU AND DIE.

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

People can argue this all they want, they have been with me for years:

That's right, apparently baseball was first played in Canada (I have seen the field in person). We invented basketball, hockey, lacrosse, and America's favourite pastime is an import like backbacon and the telephone. Oh, well. At least you have NASCAR, huh?

3. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Technically, wasn't NASCAR originally invented by the Greeks and Romans with chariot races?

And just because we "play" the sport, doesn't mean we're proud of it.

4. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Methinks someone doesn't understand where the second statement came from.

It's not about English language puns. The story goes that it is in fact a concession by Roman Christians to win converts. Basically saying, "Hey, we have a party in December too!" Also, the Romans believed that there were mystical significances to the solstices (hence why the sun god festival was on solstice), so it was logical to place the date near winter solstice. It may or may not be true (no one really knows for sure), but it's not as stupid as you suggest.

The Immaculate Conception is actually the sinless conception of Mary, not of Christ.

5. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

People might have that misconception as well, but I have had people tell me in no uncertain terms that they thought that the Romans moved the date of Christmas to play a pun on a language that hadn't existed yet. As an example:

Also..

Are you saying that it's a misconception that the U.S. invented french fries, or that the U.S. actually invented french fries?

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The United States invented them and not France, whom they are named after.

7. Crazy Wolf

Crazy Wolf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The thin style, perhaps. Thicker cuts of potato that were then fried are claimed to have been eaten in Belgium in the late 1600s.

8. Solaris

Solaris
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The thin style are French Fries, the thicker style are just Chips, or do you yanks call them crisps?

Jesus this is so confusing.

9. Allord

Allord
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The Nightmares of children with a 30" Dildo
    DUDES!

The U.S. invented FREEDOM fries, the Belgians invented chips/fries, and since the Belgians speak French were simplemindedly labeled French Fries because all potato products from Belgium speak french as their first language.

Is it sad that all of us are too lazy to actually look up the history of Fries? I mean, I've always heard they come from Belgium, but fuck it, at the end of the day I always wind up saluting the good ol' red, white, and blue.

[​IMG]

10. SaintBastard

SaintBastard
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

It is often misunderstood that white people cannot dance. When it fact, it is the complete opposite. White people can dance very well. We just choose not to so that black comedians have such an excellent wellspring of material to draw upon. It doesn't exactly make up for our behavior prior to the 1960's, but we give when we can.

11. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You've been misunderstanding the misunderstandment.

12. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I, uh... I don't want to brag, but I will. I have actually gotten laid with two (2) African-American females, purely based on my ability to dance. They both (years apart) said the same thing. "I thought you were cute and all, but I never would have slept with you if I hadn't seen you dance." This was 100% unprompted in both cases.

13. McDermott

McDermott
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

You are not more likely to get the common cold by being cold. This misconception comes about because people tend to get the common cold during winter months when it is cold outside. The truth is you're more likely to get sick because you're more likely to be in confined spaces with other people in winter.

Source: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11665464" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11665464</a>

14. Racer-X

Racer-X
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Some studies have shown that stressing the body with cold temperatures can weaken the immune system. There still have to be viruses or bacteria present, but there is a kernel of truth to that particular misconception as you're more vulnerable to getting sick if you're very cold.

Here's a link to one of those studies.

15. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Myth: surrogate markers are useful endpoints.

Fact: when making an argument about cold exposure and contracting the common cold, real endpoints are the gold standard. Instead of asking "does being out in the cold weaken your immune system?", ask, "does being out in the cold cause the cold?"

And hey, look at that, the symptoms are caused by your immune system. Maybe you'll feel less sick with a weaker immune system.

Stressing yourself in any way, by the way, will have the same effect on your immune system (cortisol is, at high enough levels, an immunosuppressant). And really, who spends that long outside in the cold (without being properly dressed, mind you) to get that much of a cortisol release and suppress their immune system in a significant way?