Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

6/16/17 WDT NSFW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Jun 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Fathers Day Weekend. If I had to gift each and every one of my steps let alone the original I'd go broke. Thanks Mom!

I have no focus for this one. Take it away.

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Making some ribs on the grill for my pops. Thats all the man ever wants.

3. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How do you make them?

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Focus: Father's Day.

5. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Im a big fan of dry rub.

My recipe is as follows -

-1 tablespoon cumin
    -1 tablespoon smoked paprika
    -1 tablespoon onion powder
    -1 tablespoon garlic powder
    -1.5 tablespoon brown sugar
    -2 tablespoons salt
    -1 tablespoon chili powder
    -1/2 tsp coffee grounds
    -1/2 tsp ancho chili powder
    -1 tsp cayenne pepper
    -2 tsp black pepper

Throw it all in food processor, generously coat 1-2 racks of ribs, cover and let it sit over night. Take it out 30 minutes before cooking and set the grill at the lowest possible temperature setting. If your grill is big enough, cook off direct heat or use a smoker if you have one. Pork is done at 145 but I would let it get to around 180-190 so the fat has a chance to melt.

6. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thats a pretty good method. I have a natural gas line going directly to my grill so I never run out of it. I usually place the ribs on the elevated rack inside the grill and keep the temp to around 280-300. If you don't have a smoker, you can soak some mesquite chips and place them on foil and set it on the grill surface.

7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

So would you do the smoke part while cooking normally? Is there a noticeable difference in taste?

8. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I have a rack of beef ribs in the freezer. Would I use this same rub and method for beef as well?

9. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes you put the wood there while the meat is still raw. You can remove the wood chips if you think its too much. It adds a little bit of a smokey flavor without going overboard. Not everyone likes a heavy smoke taste.

10. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

It really depends. Are they beef back ribs or short ribs? Beef back ribs you can cook just like pork. I dont think I would cook short ribs on the grill. I would probably either braise them, cook them in the oven at low temp or in a slow cooker to control the temperature a bit more. Cooking them like pork will dry them much quicker.

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

That's basically the same recipe I use. I add ginger powder though and don't use cayenne. Also I don't measure, just eyeball it.

Put it on the smoker pit at 300 for 4-5 hours until it hits 185, the bounce test with tongs is more important than temp though.

Start off the fire with lump charcoal in a chimney starter (lump charcoal is all I use now), then once the temp is up I switch to a mix of oak and mesquite.

12. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Yeah they are ribs not short ribs. I'll give it a try on the Weber. Throw some potato salad together and grilled corn on the cob should work.

Any tried and true methods to grilling corn? There's only about 10k ways according to google.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Butter them up a bit, salt, a little paprika, and a dash of cayenne if you want a little zip. Wrap in foil and throw them on the grill for about 30-40 min (depending on heat). Rotate every 10 minutes or so. If they start popping, you went too far...

14. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Relatively pleasant trip the Minnesota DMV. Lots of diversity, and I think I managed to avoid catching the measles despite the large presence of Somalis at the that DMV

#14 toddamus, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  15. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd wrap them in foil to keep them moist. Beef ribs can be a hit or miss. Sometimes, it can be like having a whole steak on the bone, and other times it can get real tough.

16. Yukon Cornelius

Yukon Cornelius
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

You hit the nail on the head there. With short ribs too, sometimes they come out of the oven and are the most delicious things ever, other times following the same recipe and they are tougher than a catcher's mitt. Only had that happen once though.

17. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Short ribs can be sliced thin and marinated Korean BBQ style. Or kept nice and thick and braised for a couple of hours until it's soft enough to cut with a plastic fork.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The key to any kind of tough meat like short ribs is to keep the heat as low as possible, for as long as possible, and having enough fat and connective tissue in the meat. It's basically braising. If it's too tough, and there's still fatty stuff in there, it just has to cook longer. The only real problem comes about when you don't have enough fat in the meat and it becomes tough because it's dried out.

I've gone to using the sous vide to pre-cook the ribs for 48-72 hours in a pre-seasoned bag. Once they're done, then they get put onto the grill for a few hours of finishing to add the smoke and caramelize the exterior.

Basically this: http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/72-hour-braised-short-ribs/

While they are specifically for short ribs, the process will work for any similar meat.

19. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I usually either soak them in the husk and then throw them on a cooler area to steam for a while or husk them and put them direct on high heat. Ends up either steamed with some grill flavor or charred with an almost nutty flavor. If I'm wanting to make it "special" I make street corn. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/07/mexican-street-corn-elotes-recipe.html

20. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Currently I peel off the outermost two or three husks, snap the base off and tear off however much of the silk I can grab and then soak them in water while the grill heats up. Then I go ahead and put them over high heat with the cover shut and let the husks char away (losing a few is expected, it's okay) until they look uniform around the exterior. When you go to peel the rest of the husk off the silk should come right with it. It is WAY EASIER and tastes better than husking and silking and boiling them and making the house all hot. Keep the heat outside on the grill.

I'm still working on the "just right" timing but to me it is perfect when you get some light brown on the tops of the kernels, I agree with Gamecocks on the slightly nutty, smoky flavor. We love it but if you don't, keep the heat indirect so they just steam as he says. I like butter and any mix of Lawry's, Old Bay, chili powder, garlic powder, we can go on.

Chewed over corn cobs were some of my dog's favorite trash treats back when we were going through that phase.

I picked a really nice growth of "Chicken of the Woods" mushrooms today and can't wait to try it in a stir fry. The color is beautiful and all the flesh is tender.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.