Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

6/13/14 The Dads&Grads WDT NSFW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Jun 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharkhead nachos

sharkhead nachos
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Ah, Father's Day...one of the 3-5 times a year I actually see the old man. He's always "too busy working" (because he can't afford to retire). Don't get me wrong, I don't actually hate my father, just rather indifferent towards him I guess. I never really hear from him unless it's a holiday of some type or if he has a question regarding Cable TV (the industry I work in). I should also mention he lives less than 10 minutes from me.
    My dad thought it a great idea to go work in Pennsylvania (while the rest of us stayed here) for several years while still married to my mother when I was entering my teen aged years. He sent money, came home every 3-4 months for a few days, then back out again. My mother did her best raising the 4 of us kids, but being the only male in the household made it tenuous at best. I became a bit of a shit-head: getting bad grades, being a disrespectful twat, etc. Things really changed when he finally came home for good only for us to discover that he had been leading the double-life - living with another woman there, attending her son's football games, basically playing house with a completely different family.
    So, for the longest time, I just patterned my life to be the opposite of him. Sure, there are a few good memories I have with him growing up. He was a pretty bad-ass fisherman and was a sharpshooter when it came to duck hunting (I can't remember him missing and frequently would knock down two and three if the opportunity was there). But those were many, many years ago and nothing like that since he came back for good.
    I guess I can thank him for one thing though: When I went through my divorce with my first wife, I decided then that I would never be "too busy" for my son. I would rather live a modest lifestyle than work all the time and never be there.

Anyway, enough of the whine-fest. I'm going to enjoy Father's Day tomorrow with my son, possibly grilling something up for dinner, watching a little of the World Cup, and having a few drinks along the way.

2. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just watched a Fiat commercial and I have no idea what was real and what was the result of my drinking. I think I recall dolphins and a girl who couldn't keep her underwear covered by her skirt. It was cool.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

4. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone else notice that whichever parent was more significant in raising you or not determines a lot of who you are now and what kind of relationships you engage in? For example, we say girl has daddy issues all the time and that usually means her dad emotionally neglected her and she's having problems now because of that. Counter to that, a boy who has a poor female role model is likely to have issues developing relationships with women in the future. I know this is all very general but the anecdotal evidence makes it seem like its pretty likely.

5. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Absolutely, FutureWife is a perfect example. Her mom raised her alone and FW has a very similar personality with just a sprinkling of nutjob Sicilian from her father.

Myself, not so sure. My parents raised us equally but I'm very different from them and my brother and sister. Looks-wise, I'm a mix, where my brother looks like my dad my sister like my mom. Maybe I'm adopted.

6. Queen-Bee

Queen-Bee
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My dad died when I was 11. He was military and preferred to drink at the mess hall rather than come home to his 5 kids. He died at 37 yrs old (cancer sucks). I seriously don't blame him for anything. I think he willed himself to die rather than continue the hell he was living. My mother is a raging lunatic and I wouldn't want to come home to her either. The brief moments I had with him were golden. The last good memory... I may have been 4. I was last of the five kids and his only girl. I was his little button and I felt his love. I just wonder how my life would have turned out if I had him around. From what I've heard, I am a lot like him, but I can't prove it. I haven't talked to my mother in 9 yrs and have little to no relationships with my brothers.

He also looked like Dean Martin.

Cherish your Dad's.

7. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why, just why would you eat that in the first place? I would think the bells would go off in her head and she would've chose to eat somewhere else.

8. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The locals eat there. They just aren't ordering the fucking salad or the seafood.

In Europe the sign of a quality eatery is the presence of a sleeping cat. Plus, isn't it a good thing the dogs are brave enough to hang out next to this vendor? At least you know the Pad Thai isn't Poodle Thai.

Anthony Bourdain seems to do OK eating at those types of establishments. When he isn't shitting blood.

9. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The rule of street food is: fried, boiled, grilled is ok. Raw never is ok, fruit with skin is never ok, ice is never ok. I dunno what the fuck she was thinking, but there has been hell to pay. Jesus, it sounded like a bear gargling whiskey with a mouth full of shrapnel.

10. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

People sometimes ask me why if I'm sketched out by a place I always get a burger well done, and why I always say salad is more sketchy than meat, it should be obvious but some people just don't think like that. I don't want norovirus, I don't whatever your girlfriend had. My pops got food poisoning in Hawaii and it put him on his ass in the fetal position for a few days. Fuck salads, give me a well done burger.

I've also heard if you're in India, its inevitable, you will get food poisoning at some point.

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I have been on the receiving end of food poisoning once, in Michigan from Godfather's Pizza when I was a tween. It was a nightmare of nightmares, I was vomiting what looked like black tar for an entire weekend, I have NEVER felt worse since. If I saw a picture if food, thought of food, saw a TV commercial advertising a restaurant I would get sick. It was just plain agonizing.

12. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He's adventurous and has a stomach of iron, but I would be shocked if there wasn't a lead crew, essentially acting as modern royal food testers, to make sure he doesn't eat something that would ruin filming for a week.

The spice palette is just so different than what Westerners are used to. My dad travels to India about twice a year for business and he loves spicy food. But he's just learned that there are some things he just can't eat. And he's either eating meals at the home of the consultant he works with, prepared by their personal chef, or at nice restaurants with some of the top of the caste system diamond dealers he works with, so its not like he's eating street meat or exploring edgy Indian cuisine.

My old roommate was staffed on a project in India for 3 months in essentially a business park 20 miles outside a metro area. So he was pretty much forced to eat room service from a mid range Indian hotel. He got WRECKED. I think he spent more time with GI issues than without, even after the "adapting" period.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I always assumed it didn't effect him because he is a god. To me, there is no greater food celebrity.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

There have been a couple of shows where he got food poisoning and they worked it into the story.

I think he's just eaten so much different stuff over the years that he's built up a natural high tolerance that far exceeds most people's.

15. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The phrase "food celebrity" really makes me angry. This fucking culture sucks.

Bourdain is the only TV personality worth listening to on food or what's hip. Every last host on Food Channel and Travel Channel are annoying, goofy shit bags. God, I hate them all. You can actually see how irritated interviewees and real chefs are around these suck-up, pandering, un-charismatic poop handlers. When Guy Ferrari is the most watchable person on your station, you have a problem. I hope Adam Richman is slowly confited to death in a pot of his own fat. Fucker makes a career endorsing a shitty, high fat, sedentary lifestyle then hires a personal trainer right before his first coronary, BUT his shitty show celebrating morbid obesity is still rerun every day. I want a rhino to facefuck him to death until those stupid Furby eyes of his fill up with rhino cum and explode while his mother watches.

Note, The Getaway on Esquire is actually very good. It is The Layover 2.0.

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Bourdain has a silver tongue. He is whip-funny, smart, likeable, and you can just tell he has a true love for food of all walks of life. He thumbs his nose in the face of vegans and we should all encourage him to.

Those other two fat fucks you mentioned... I want them off this planet, I don't care how. Climb into their gellatinous asses and start a tire fire just fucking END them.

While I hate Fieri for his obnoxiousness and the fact he only dresses up finger foods, Adam Richman is a fat, cackling criminal. Enjoy having arteries harder than your unseen dick will ever get, douchebag.

17. LatinGroove

LatinGroove
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here is how I spent the last 12 hours. We probably caught a mix of 50 fish, sand bass, crappie, bluegill, and large mouth at this lake.

Attached Files:

18. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I like Anthony Bourdain, Alton Brown, and also Andrew Zimmern to name a few. Zimmern's food truck here isn't cheap but is very good.

That sounds just about perfect. I would have cleaned and filleted everything afterwards if it meant spending the day on your boat.

All of my posessions are now in this new apartment, and I'm sitting in a recliner with a beer and my dog is asleep. I guess this means I am officially moved now. I'm feeling a lot better about this place than I expected. Relief.

19. kindalas

kindalas
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My Dad past away in 2009, so Saturday I sold art with my Uncle (well my Dad's best friend, so like an Uncle but one that was chosen, rather then my real uncle who is a selfish douche bag.)

The art in the foreground is his as are the abstracts in the background.

Spoilers are for size.

Now I'm going to drink the rest of my five back and meet his newest girfriend.

Attached Files:

20. Atoq

Atoq
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Bourdain's show is one better ones on TV. Not only is it one of the best food shows, it is also one of the only good travel shows out there, which is surprising seeing how easy it should be to send someone that isn't a total fucking idiot to an interesting place. If you are a fan of his, check out the nerdist podcast he was on (which includes some funny shots at Fieri): http://www.nerdist.com/pepisode/nerdist-podcast-anthony-bourdain/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.