Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

5/2/14 WDT NSFW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Meh, it's one day out of the year. She certainly likes it, and I've never seen her dance because they never let the parents watch the weekly rehearsals-- which is a great idea if you ask me.

2. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They don't let you watch rehearsals? Like they refuse to allow it? I want to watch a dance rehearsal even less than the average parent, but try and tell me I can't go into the place where my daughter is and I'm going to end up on the front page of the paper the next morning.

3. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah twins run in both of our families, she is on Clomid as well which raises the odds even more. It's too early for her to take a test but she feels like something is different.

I got home from work last night and she was watching birthing videos on the TV, a bit baby crazy at this point.

4. happyfunball

happyfunball
    Expand Collapse
    overly defenCive stuffed cougar

Our swim coach doesn't allow parents in for practice either. She said how would you feel if someone was standing over your shoulder all day watching you do your job? She does allow it one day of the week where we are allowed to go up to the gallery and watch. On her behalf, apparently she used to let parents do it, but then they would coach from the balcony. Or else their kids would be too distracted by their parents being there that they wouldn't listen to the coaches.

It's never too early to take the test nowadays. And yeah, I have a friend that had twins at 41 on Clomid. Better make two cradles.

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I'll elaborate: you're not allowed to watch inside the room with them, there's a waiting room outside. I guess pushy parents have become such an issue in this field that they're running interference like asshole football dads who run on the field to scold their kid. Younger classes like my daughter also get shy sometimes dancing in front of parents so I guess it also lets them feel more free to be themselves while there.

I haven't seen a lot of stage parenting, but what I don't like are the Phone Parents. No matter where I take her: swimming lessons, T-Ball, gymnastics, anything not a word of a lie 80% of the parents/guardians bury their faces in their phone and never look up. No cheering, encouragement, not even a fucking thumbs up. Fuck the kids, my only child is Twitter.

6. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My wife said that she has had parents pull out phones during parent teacher conferences. So much so that she asks them not to bring in phones with them anymore.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Yeah, make her STOP doing that. That's like watching Die Hard 2 during your first commercial flying experience.

8. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thats what I said, I still don't get what she was thinking, I am just glad I am male. You women have it rough.

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

So the greatest experience ever?

10. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I now totally understand how pedophiles find kids to diddle. You people let your kids go with people that will not allow you watch them practice at sports that are known to be run by kid diddlers? I am simply shocked. Wow.

11. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone excited for the Derby today? I have wanted to go for years, but it has never been in the cards. I will be heading to the liquor store later to get some good bourbon to make mint juleps. I may also run through the KFC for dinner.

12. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

We are placing bets at work. I have zero knowledge of this event so my picks are pretty random. With my $2 buy in, I'll be rolling in the 1's if I win it!

13. happyfunball

happyfunball
    Expand Collapse
    overly defenCive stuffed cougar

Are you serious? It's not a hand off your kid alone, see ya later kind of thing. There are about 100 kids at practice at any given time. In my case, not to mention swim lessons going on, lap swimmers, etc. People constantly going in and out. And parents meet their kids in the locker room after practice. Can it happen? Sure. But it can also happen anywhere. The best you can do is to give your kids the tools to know what to do in certain situations and what's appropriate and what isn't and to let you know as soon as something seems off.

You know what I never let my kid do? Go to a meet with a coach alone. Take a look at a lot of the molestation cases out there. A lot of the times it involved parents letting their kids go off with coaches to games, meets, etc. and in some cases STAYING OVERNIGHT at a hotel. We had that happen somewhat locally here. What the fuck parents? Our Y doesn't even allow coaches to take kids to meets.

I used to teach swim lessons. It does you nor your kid any favor to hover. You know why? Because they don't listen to me. They are too busy looking at mom and dad to pay any attention to me. They also tended to be afraid (and the whining!) and were a ridiculous amount of work and took forever just to get in the water. And then the parents would bitch that they weren't learning fast enough. At that job, parents were always allowed to watch, but up in the gallery, which wasn't that far away. We also were not allowed to take kids to the bathroom. We had to get a lifeguard who then got the parents. These are the things you need to look for when joining a sport or club. Are there protocols in place? What is allowed? What isn't?

Sometimes you just need to do your research, ask other parents and educate yourself. That goes a long way.

14. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt. That pun just isn't as funny when you type it. Kids eating cake : Winterbike :: Parents being able to watch swim practice : happyfunball.

Of course it was a joke. Sorry to get you all angry. I'm just saying it makes a little more sense to me now.

15. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    The English Premier League has had some awesome results today (West Ham United 2 Tottenham 0; Manchester United 0 Sunderland 1) The cats are behaving for a while (read: asleep and not tearing chunks out of my back/arms for their enjoyment). The Sharks beat the Melbourne Rebels yesterday in the first match of their overseas tour (SupeRugby competition)

Also, here's some Soundgarden as a Welcome Back to NettData:

EDIT: Everton 2 Manchester City 3. That result means Arsenal will be in the Champions League 3rd Round Qualifier for next season (for getting 4th place) regardless of Everton's result in their final match. FUCK YES.

Back to your normal schedule.

#75 Durbanite, May 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  16. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I could give a fuck about it, but it is a great excuse to drink a mint julep.

Put a sugar cube and a couple splashes of water in a glass, muddle it down. Throw in 8 mint leaves, muddle those. Pour in 2 ounces of Bourbon then drop a shitload of crushed ice on top, up to the brim and over like a snowcone. The idea is to suck the booze through the straw, through the ice to cool it. I just use two ice cubes Old Fashioned style.

The Derby is also selling $2000 juleps served in a solid silver chalice. Fucking rich people.

[​IMG]

17. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The article I read said they were only $1000 for the Mint Julep, and the proceeds go to a horse charity. It kind of makes me wonder what a regular one costs.
    <a class="postlink" href="http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/02/news/companies/kentucky-derby-high-end/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/02/news/co ... -high-end/</a>

18. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I want to add mint to my garden purely for mint juleps but that shit is invasive. You have to double pot its roots if you want to have it appear in the ground but not take over everything.

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

A whiskey mojito, almost. I love Juleps but feel like I should be wearing a white suit and sitting on a rocking chair AAAAAH MAGNOLIAS

I think mojito uses a less-potent mint, does it not? It sure smells less potent than spearmint or peppermint. Easily my favourite cocktail. My wife thinks I'm a weirdo because I actually take a potted plant of mint with us to the cottage every July. I'm all like"Jesus, devil-woman it's my VACATION!!" If I don't get Outside Day-Drunk on my week off at least three times I've failed as a human being.

EDIT: Bewildered, keep mint in a pot because if you plant in the ground it will overtake your property like Day Of The fucking Triffids. It will find away out of ground pots, under foundations and pierce your very soul with its gaze.

20. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.freep.com/article/20140503/FEATURES02/305030053/Kentucky-Derby-2-000-mint-julep" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.freep.com/article/20140503/F ... mint-julep</a>

Ah, $2000 for gold. The regular ones in a souvenir cup go for $11.

Racehorse seems like such a great investment. What could go wrong??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.