Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

44 is a ripe old age for a Crocodile Hunter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BeCoolBitch_BeCool, Jun 20, 2011.

1. BeCoolBitch_BeCool

BeCoolBitch_BeCool
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Jackass star Ryan Dunn died in a car wreck last night.

He did have a passenger with him at the time of the crash but both bodies were burnt so badly that the second person has not been identified yet. Ryan was identified by some of his tattoos that he has on his chest and a few patches of facial hair.

Rt 322 isn’t a major highway in the West Chester area and isn’t lit very well. He was driving his Porsche when he lost control slammed into a tree and his Porsche burst into flames.

The pictures from the scene are pretty grisly. As sad as it is, it seems odd that it's taken this long for a member of Jackass to die in an awful, fiery explosion.

Focus: When have you heard about a death that really didn't surprise you.

Alt-Focus: What celebrities or people you know are still alive in spite of all logic.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Uhmmm.... surprise?

I guess the only thing that's a bit of a shock is how normal the cause of death was.

3. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't imagine that they are

Well there is nothing in the front of the car, as the heavy ass engine is in the back. Conservation of forward momentum means that the engine could still be moving at you after your body has come to rest.

4. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

It always looked to me like, of all the Jackasses, Dunn had the most common sense. I would have picked him as last to go. Sad.

5. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just saw this dude on that new show mad dog or whatever, hosted by Guy Fieri. That sucks, but we all got many great laughs at his expense. Such a normal way to die, minus the car itself.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

One of life's irony's, no doubt.

As to the "crashworthiness" of a Porsche, that's a silly line of thought. Compared to what? Under what circumstances? I'd rather be in a GT3 (the car he smashed up) than a Camaro, or Charger, or a pickup... That tub in his car is the exact same tub that we have in our race cars, and they've been known to handle some pretty fucking bad offs.

The rear-engine aspects and driving characteristics of the car are probably what got him into trouble in the first place, if I had to guess.

It's a pretty common scenario for any 911, never mind his ride; guy gets in a $120k+ street-legal race car, on a poorly lit back road, and then hammers the go-fast pedal. There's a curve in the road ahead that he sees too late due to the poor lighting, the speed he's going, the one or more drink(s) he's had, and the BS he's shooting with the passenger. He gets nervous, and lifts off of the gas (thereby unsettling the car, transferring the weight to the front wheels and off of the back wheels), and hits the brakes, and then tries to go around the corner. Next thing you know, the engine keeps going straight, and pulls the rear of the car off the road.

As counter-intuitive as it sounds, in such a situation in a Porsche, you mat the accelerator, providing a rearward shift in weight, as it adds downward pressure on the rear wheels, increasing their traction. That helps to stop the rear of the car from going straight, as the tires pull the engine off it's "momentum" path.

The cars are pretty forgiving, up until about 9/10ths. At that point, it'll bite your fucking head off if you don't pay attention.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Watch this car in the video. The gold coloured one ahead of the car taking the footage.

CLASSIC.

Somewhat gentle curve, guy gets a little spooked, lifts off, on a crest even, the rear end of the car gets light, loses traction, and he goes for a ride.

And that's on a race track.

#7 Nettdata, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The following people defy all logic as to why they are still alive:

-Amy Winehouse
    -Charlie Sheen
    -Lindsay Lohan
    -Tom Sizemore
    -Keith Richards
    -Ernest Borgnine

9. pterodactyl

pterodactyl
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I like the comment from the fark thread. "Hi, I'm Ryan Dunn, and this is Driving Home Blitzed At 3 AM."

Abe Vigoda

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

You KNOW that if any group of people would laugh at and make fun of their death, it'd be the Jackass guys.

I'm seeing a few forums with some pretty annoyed "respect the dead" comments, and all I can say is that they just don't get it.

11. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I guess drinking and driving really does make you a jackass.

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Man Abe Vigoda looked old in the fucking Godfather. He must have been an early bloomer of those gigantic fuzzy caterpillar eyebrows that old people get.

I still wonder how common it is to die in a fiery car crash? Sure it's more common than some of the Jackass stunts but still pretty uncommon as far as car crashes. Mostly people die because their organs keep moving when their body stops than fire. How many cars burst into flames normally?

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Shitty timing. I just nexflixed jackass 3.5. I get the feeling it won't be as funny now.... or maybe more funny.

If only Bam or Steve-o could have gone instead.

My money for first death though was Preston. He's fat, and stupid.

The ones that are going 190 around a turn.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Again, if I had to guess, I'd say the fire part was probably started by oil, not gas.

The Porsche GT3 is a rear-engined car and has front mounted oil coolers. When you look at the front end of the car, those fancy ducts and vents in the spoiler area direct the air into the water and oil coolers. That means that there are big-ass oil lines running the length of the car.

My older race car takes 18 liters of oil, and I have 2" oil lines going from the engine to the front rad. The newer GT3's are similar.

It looks like the car hit a tree sideways, and that probably snapped or fucked up the oil lines, and then spilled hot oil over brakes or exhaust, etc.

The fuel cel in the front of the car is pretty well shielded, and the pumps shut off in any kind of impact as part of the emergency systems. (G-meters, pressure loss detection, etc). Even if a little bit of gas leaked onto the engine, the supply would shut off in a hurry.

The oil systems don't have such systems.

I've NEVER seen a new Porsche have a long-lasting fuel fire. Even when we've had a fuel fitting come loose, it only burned for a few seconds until the fuel was automatically shut off. Older Porsches burn to the ground due to fuel fires all the time, usually because there are old fuel lines that degrade and/or the owners do their own work.

15. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Note to self: Do not buy a used Porsche.

16. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Shamelessly stolen from Reddit:

17. StayFrosty

StayFrosty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why aren't you buying one, again?

On topic, as much as I question the sanity of any guy who puts a toy car in his rectum, the guy semmed to be more in control than his buddies on Jackass. Then again, if you get hammered and drive, you don't deserve much better than what he got.

Alt-focus: Andy Dick and Robert Downey Jr. Both of these guys (especially the former) have put enough drugs into their bodies to unhinge a dozen minds. The fact that either one is still alive, or even able to speak somewhat coherently is a shock, and in some ways a disappointment.

18. BeCoolBitch_BeCool

BeCoolBitch_BeCool
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The internet has been pretty quality today. Personally, my favorite has been "He was trying to fit an entire Porche up his ass."

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Fixed that for you.

20. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wouldn't it need to be a hair band then?