Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

4/21/17 WDT NSFW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Apr 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

Thanks, sounds like both of those guys were using a tail fan like this to try and stalk up on birds. You can see videos of it on Youtube. Looks exciting but there's no way in hell am I doing that for obvious reasons.

[​IMG]

2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

If prefer the one where they get so close they shoot one with a pistol.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

There are so many around here you just have to drive down to road for five minutes, get out, and punch one in the face.

4. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Urban turkeys are funny. I had a pair of tom turkeys in my front yard just yesterday morning, ms. katokoch was working from home and noticed the dog was looking outside and making an unusual growl. She got within 20 feet of them while taking pics.

The wild country birds I hunt are a 'lil different animal with fear and wariness turned up to 11. Last October a flock scattered after seeing me coming from a quarter mile away. Now getting one of those within rock throwing distance becomes an accomplishment. Lots more fun than deer hunting.

5. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Same here. Also, around here it's not uncommon to see a flock of hens together in the offseason, with a couple jakes trailing them. I've even seen a couple Toms bossing around a crew of 10-12. But, not during hunting season. Some of friends that are deer hunters, but don't hunt turkeys are always like, "you can just hunt the turkeys with pliers. They're everywhere when I'm in the woods." Yeah, in the Fall. When you see them like that from mid March to mid May, you call me.

6. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe I'm just ig'nant of hunting culture, but I never considered using blinds to hunt to be thee definition of hunting, for me thats more like ambushing. Now if you track an animal, and do it that way, I get that appeal. However if you put out a whole bunch of corn in the fall and sit up in a tree waiting for a deer...

From what you're saying, wild turkey hunting sounds different than that which is cool.

#146 toddamus, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, not to turn this into the turkey hunting thread . . . but, hey. The main reason that I enjoy turkey hunting, is that unlike most hunting that is food related - hey, fish, eat this lure, it looks just like a bug! or, hey, deer, on your way to eat some grass, if you pass close enough, ima shoot yew! or, hey, doves, while you're looking for some sunflowers, if you fly close enough to me, blammo! - it is sex related. It's all, hey stud, I'm a sexy woman turkey, don't you want some of this? cluck, cluck. And, you have to call and track and be clever enough to overcome the natural way, which is SHE is supposed to go to him when he gobbles. You have to convince him to come to see why you aren't chasing after him. Good times.

8. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So I'm not the only person who seeks a difference? Plenty of rednecks spend their fall weekends waking up early, baiting the ambush, and waiting till something walks by, that just doesn't seem interesting to me.

I do like fishing, mostly because with fish like trout you have to have the right bait on the right day and basically get it to float right in front of them, then setting the hook etc. Fishing is baiting, but fish are stupid, they're just doing and if whatever you have doesn't get their brain to click, then it doesn't work.

Fishing has made many smart men look stupid, I think thats why the appeal continues.

I have seen people on those elk hunts, those seem interesting, stalking the elk, going up and over ridges, seems much more like sport.

#148 toddamus, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  9. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's the ultimate cockblock.

It isn't legal in MN to put bait out, this varies state by state. Hate sitting in blinds and tree stands. I hunt deer on the ground ambush-style because the property I hunt them on is a little too small for effective fudding around. Either way you are correct the deer ambush is more like grocery shopping in the woods sometimes than really hunting something like a turkey down, though I'm still not turning the opportunity down.

10. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So hunting is borderline WDT,

This isn't

11. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You can bait in Ohio and I finally broke down this year and did it my first time the last week of archry season since I wanted a second deer for the freezer and I just didn't have time left to fuck around. Im sure spot and stalk hunting is fun but I don't have enough land to do it and Im not big on traipsing through public land during gun season. Some southern states let you run dogs to hunt deer which sounds awesome to me but is frowned upon in most circles. The biggest arguments Ive seen are the high fencing ones. Texas doesn't have public hunting lands so everyone puts up high fences to protect the deer on private land. There is huge money in leasing, hunting, and breeding programs down there because of it. It kind of warps the perception of what hunting is. People get super defensive about it though so the best bet is just shaking and nodding your head.

Stand hunting isn't easy if you are trying to score a trophy buck as the ones making it to trophy size are usually more skiddish. It is fun trying to call them in when they are sex crazed maniacs during the rut. Just like wearing a girl down at the end of the night at a bar the bucks just chase the does until they run out of energy and give in. Half the fun of stand hunting is witnessing these Wild America acts of nature.

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Saint Bernards are so fucking intimidating. They look like big, cute teddy bears but they are high-strung and their jaw is basically a giant steel trap.

We have one in our neighbourhood and it stood right up at me and put its giant paws on my shoulders and just.....stared at me. It was creepy. I didn't know if this giant drool machine wanted to lick or kill me, because it was fully capable of doing both. The owner says "I don't get it, he just does that."

..and I LOVED "Cujo". Hell, I even rooted for him to win.

13. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ugh, don't get me started on when you've been working a gobbler for an hour, get them within 80 yards and then get cut off by an actual hen. YOU BITCH!

14. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So I'm delivering the kick off speech to a mental health 5K on Monday. Yes, I see the built in joke. Toss me any advice, and trust me I don't trust you guys will actually give me advice.

Its only 2 minutes, I can last two minutes right?

15. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Looks like you've already got jokes

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

This post is your speech. You close with a killer.

17. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

No one will be able to hear you, at least with all the 5 and 10ks i've done the audio equipment is too shitty, it's outdoors, and everyone's listening to their music anyway. You can say whatever you want or stutter through the whole thing and no one will know the difference.

Never mind that they won't be able to hear you with all the voices in their heads.

Do the ones with split personalities run and then walk and then run and then walk?

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

No. But they can bend jail bars, have insulin shock and scamper up walls.

19. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No sadly ToyToys roommate's are not invited so I'm not sure that would work.

20. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

He should just act out the part of Mr. Harding in this scene and make that his speech.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.