Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

3 Body Problem

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Binary, Mar 27, 2024.

1. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone watching this?

So far I'm really enjoying it. Kind of hits a sweet spot for me - a little bit tech sci fi, a little bit secret government conspiracy, a little bit thriller.

Haven't read the books.

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Watched the first episode last night, really enjoyed it, even with the minor departures from the book. I went into it with low expectations because I thought the source material wouldn't convert to TV well. Glad the Game of Thrones cast is getting work lol.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Interesting... haven't watched it, but haven't really had any desire to... ran across a couple of "reviews" that basically shit on it that gave me a "meh" first impression.

Glad to hear people here seem to be enjoying it... I'll check it out soon.

I should learn to not trust clickbait "critics" reviews about this stuff... they seem to always get it wrong. I have yet to find any source that aligns with my tastes.

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Some of the criticisms I'ved read are that its too cinematic and doesn't cover enough of the deeper technical and scientific details. I get it, but they have to make it work as a TV show. MIT puts its lectures online if I want to spend an hour learning physics.

5. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I read the books and am now watching the series. I’m on episode 3, and so far I like it. It’s got enough real science in it that I don’t get irritated by an unbelievable plot, although occasionally I’m annoyed by how gullible or dense some of the characters are. I think they’ve done a pretty good job of bringing the story to the screen.

6. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was the same as Nett. Lot of not great reviews but if you dive into them, most of them are people comparing them to the books. I've never read the books and enjoyed the series. And like Juice said, if you want to learn about a physics problem that's never been solved, attend some college courses and not a netflix series meant for the masses.

Just a heads up though, the series ends on a cliffhanger and Netflix hasn't greenlit season 2 yet.

7. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's not a perfect show by any means. Some of the stuff is a stretch or seems a little inconsistent.

The nano wire ship destruction is visually great, but why is slicing the ship into deli meat somehow not likely to destroy the electronics that the team wants to recover?

And if the sophon can manifest itself and affect dimensions that we can perceive (since it can, you know, cover the sky), I'm not clear on why the San-Ti can't cause far more direct damage to humankind. If the thing can cause particle accelerator problems because it can affect things that are also proton sized, then that would be consistent - but a proton can't draw number countdowns in people's vision or cause the whole world to see the sky being covered, so...

But I just recently saw a Reddit post, though I can't find it now, that had a Venn diagram of, essentially, "stuff I like" "stuff that's consistent in-universe" and "stuff that looks cool." The poster's point was that all three of these can be enjoyable in varying degrees, which I agree with. I like in-universe consistency, but if it's not too egregious and it satisfies the other two categories, then maybe that's okay.

But none of it is enough (so far) to make me not like the show.

8. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Finished Ep 3 last night. Loving it, but god dam i cant say there is one catagory that this TV fits into.