Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

3/1/14 WDT NSFW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Feb 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Her mistake could've really screwed me. Why should I reward her for that?

What ever happened to tips being a reward for good service? It seems now that even bad service demands a good tip.

Honestly, seeing the attitudes I have on here it makes me reluctant to tip as well as I have. This expectation that everyone must tip to a certain level or else be punished is absurd.

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

bok! bok! Ack-

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Because the truck it was riding in turned over on the interstate and his buddy got pinched in half.

[​IMG]

Hahwmmm, I love that joke.

3. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: Re: 3/1/14 WDT NSFW

My philosophy on tipping

[​IMG]

You give me good service, get a good tip, shitty service is a shitty tip.

Now if I get good service and a bad meal I still tip well, waiters aren't responsible for the meal quality, why the fuck would you stiff a waiter for a bad meal?

4. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Look how dirty those poor guys are. Cramped cages too. Completely fucked up. I like how there is this idea that a couple extra bucks to provide basic decency when rearing our food (which also helps prevents pesky things like salmonella) will CRUSH THE ECONOMY and bankrupt these humble food producers. Fucking ultimate scumbags in this country. Their profit margin is so thin they can only afford to inject our food with more antibiotics. Poor dears. When will we stop putting massive corporations under the yoke of oppression?

Oh, and about bartenders, the one thing that will make me foam at the mouth: when pouring from a bottle into a glass TIP THE FUCKING GLASS YOU LAZY DEGENERATE SHITBAG FUCKFACE. Thank you for a mug of foam. I could have done that. Oh, wait, I wouldn't have because I know what I'm doing. Shithead fuck.

5. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

And this is why tip jars piss me off so much. You've got these douches that exploit the good nature of people to get a couple of extra bucks by putting a tip jar up, inevitably causing people to sour on the entire concept of tipping and leading to people like servers and bartenders getting stiffed because of some greedy fucks down at the local coffee shop.

Seems to be most common among college student bartenders. College students in general just tend to be horrible at service jobs.

6. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Im not saying there should be an expectation but you have to take it situation to situation. Simple mistakes happen and normally service will rectify it accordingly either by crediting it back to you or offering up discounts etc. YOU made the mistake using a debit card that was near a limit with terms you know will fuck you in the ass if you over draft and playing with fire by using it near zero. Not saying you had to giver her a flu 20 or even 15 but who's fault was it really?

I normally tip 20 percent because the math is just easier. As for beer top popping tips I just throw a buck in every couple of beers.

THE INDUSTRY!

7. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Better throw a dollar on the bar or your next mug of foam will be a hot mug of foam.

8. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wait, you're saying its my fault for using a card that had a low amount left? In what world does that make fucking sense? I was suppose to expect someone to overcharge me? Huh?

She made an innocent mistake that almost cost me, like you said situation by situation. If I had a few g or even a few hundred on the card who cares, but I didn't, so her mistake was a bigger and it reflected in the tip.

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

You have to love how cretinous companies like Monsanto, Dow and Tyson constantly preach about how they have nothing to hide yet they will literally sue or threaten the lives of anybody who talks down about them. You're right, you have nothing to hide. Except the fact you not only make Round-Up, but also Frankencrops that are immune to round-up yet still soak in all their volatile poisony-goodness. They should all have their eyes gouged out and have a Turkish pimp skullfuck AIDS into their brains.

Bartenders do this? I knew this was taboo when I was nine years old pouring a glass of soda. That's like a doorman not knowing how to open a door.

10. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Odd. "Those poor guys" never crossed my mind. They're bred for food and they can barely walk. I don't think they care about cramped cages. Same way I feel about people that think saving paper somehow saves trees. Pulpwood trees are grown to be pulpwood trees. They're not cutting down the rain forests to make copy paper.

11. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The more stressed out an animal it is, the worse it tastes. Not only that, but the conditions these animals are kept in are breeding grounds for salmonella, e.coli, and other bacteria. They are quite literally caked in each other's shit. Enough shit that if they didn't ventilate the hatcheries it would be uninhabitable. Also why they are pumped full of steroids and antibiotics. Because they would be fucking dying in droves. Sounds delicious don't it? Our kids are eating that shit.

Just because it's bred for a specific purpose doesn't mean a modicum of care and respect, especially for a living thing, is not necessary. Added benefit to the animal means added benefit to us. Care does not diminish the animal's purpose or necessarily its profit.

I can't sit here proselytizing (but I will anyway), I'm getting fuckin' fried chicken.

12. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

re: Tipping

I posted my bad service story here and I didn't tip this guy because I'm pretty sure he was being a racist, a dick, or just a bad bartender.

When did this 20% thing happen? I swear it was 10-15% for the longest time, then the economy got shitty (for everyone, not just bartenders) and now 20% some how popped up as the standard. That is pretty interesting how that happened. (Don't even get me started on cab drivers with the electronic CC machines, they have default buttons for 20, 25 and 30%.)

Also, my policy, unless it is a complicated mixed drink, is a dollar per order. I'm sorry, if they take off three bottle caps or just mix two rum and cokes, I'm not doing anything more than that. Its too easy. Now if I ask for a Long Island or Moscow Mule that takes some effort and a braincell, then we're talking calculated tipping.

13. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

All that makes sense, but if every bartender is like Dewercs get ready for warm beer and virgin rum and cokes.

If I ask for a manhattan and get a dam good one, you bet the tip will reflect that, if I order a rum and coke and can't taste the rum the tip will reflect that as well. I'm sorry, but I won't propagate the idea that bartenders get their 15% no matter what. If you do a shit job you will get a shit tip, its a service industry, I'm not there to pay your hourly wage.

But if a person tips like shit but keeps returning you get more money than a person who tips like shit and never returns. By treating a patron like crap you're hurting yourself and the business in the long-medium run.

14. dewercs

dewercs
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The line to get in the bar I work at would strongly suggest the level of service we provide is high quality, as would the 20-25% in tips we average after tipping out the door guy.

You can tip whatever you want it is totally up to you but we have a standard of service mixed with the experience of our bar that says 20% is the norm, you as a consumer certainly have a choice to participate in that or not.

Not everyone tips 20% and I get that, but as I have said it is the people who stiff us that I have a problem with.

Warm beer in my bar means it is 40 degrees and not on ice, and short poor would be 1 ounce instead of 1.25 ounces.

15. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No offense to you fine "beer hawkers" but it's funny that you claim that you deserve a 20% tip yet you do the same exact job as people at Starbucks and think it's absurd they should have a tip cup.
    You sometimes have to make complicated drinks and other times you just have to pop some liquid into a cup.
    The difference? The fact that you are stupid enough to take a job making below minimum wage and expect people to subsidize your pay grade. The punishment for not tipping well enough? Shitty service.
    Basically what you are saying is, if a customer doesn't voluntarily pay you more money for the service and product you are offering, you are going to provide them with sub-par service and a sub-par product.

This tipping thing has been done to death, but quite honestly, it's the biggest scam businesses run at the moment. Nothing more. If you apply your logic as to why a bartender deserves a tip across all "service based industries" you will find that you should be tipping 20% to just about every business you frequent. Guy bags your groceries? Tip. Pharmacist fills your prescription. Tip. UPS delivers your package. Tip. Guy at Verizon sells you a phone. Tip. Get your oil changed. Tip. Someone plows your driveway. Tip. And on and on and on.

Please, just call it what it is. I work a job and it's pay structure is shit, but I make up for it by trying to con as much money out of my customers as possible through the guise of "good service".

16. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

FTFY

I don't think Dewersc would bitch about a $1 a drink, he's more complaining about the people who will order round after round and maybe toss a dollar every few rounds. There is a difference between being a stingy bastard and tipping 50% because YOU'RE IN THE INDUSTRY

As for cab drivers, fuck them and their tip expectations. I'm usually a pretty generous and understanding tipper, but when you have a cab driver who is yapping on his phone the entire time, driving slow, not making any attempt to make lights, taking bullshit slower routes, I'm not throwing them 25% just because. If they are decent, I'll add a dollar onto whatever rounded total I'm at, unless its a fare like $6.25 or something. I've had cab drivers complain "what, no tip?" Those guys can fuck right off, same with those who bitch and moan about me using a credit card so they can't skim.

Worst tipping I've seen was a college friend who was in a band that would routinely play a bar that I knew other people working. The band would usually drink for free, with drinks ready for them at set breaks, knew their preference, etc and he still wouldn't tip. Similar to assholes who will drink all night at an open bar without tipping. Well this same fuckface went on a cruise with us for SB and didn't tip a single maid, attendant, etc.. cause he didn't "budget for it. And anyone who has been on a cruise know those people do ALOT of stuff for you. What an asshole.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Do you guys work with morons? I mean, ACTUAL morons? Ones who are so dumb they can't even spell simple words? This-- I swear to all that is sexy-- is a real, actual note that greeted me when I was about to open a machine motor today. This was not written by a no-English machine operator, but the shift's Lead Hand:

[​IMG]
    I don't care he fucked up my name so badly, BUT YOU CAN'T SPELL "TOUCH"?!?!?!? The FUCK, dude.

Blue Collar work, kids. You'll never meet dumber people that pay taxes.

18. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm a software developer, but I work for a manufacturing company, so on the other side of the wall of my office is a sheet metal shop. Some of the emails I get from these same types of shift lead guys when a computer or program has an issue. Jesus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.