Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

25 YEARS: Bill Watterson's Calvin and Hobbes

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Crown Royal, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I never got the undying love some people have for this strip. It is kind of cute that it lampoons childhood innocence but it never got anything more than a smirk out of me. The Farside on the other hand.

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The first strip in 1985. Though the drawings were a lot more crude back in the day, I think the first self-titled treasury may very well be the funniest book. I just flipped through it and nearly died when Calvin yells at Susie the first time he sees her: "IS THAT YOUR FACE OR A POSSUM STUCK IN YOUR COLLAR?!? I HOPE YOU GET A BRAIN ANEURYSM, YOU FREAK!!!"
    [​IMG]

3. snobes

snobes
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Calvin and Hobbies were the best as a 10 year old needing something to put a smile on my face during my parents divorce.

The snowmen were the best. But the ones where Calvin would make sings calling for help in the car where pure aweome. Many a car ride I thought that would be a good idea. Would post it, but on this pile of shit at work.

I'm still suprised after 25 year Post or Kellog hasn't come out with "Frosted Chocolate Sugar Bombs" They missed the boat.

4. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

So far I've calculated these at least things that you need for Calvinball:

A croquet set
    A Badminton Set
    Volleyball
    Lyrics to songs like "Calvinball" (Other kids' games are all such a bore! They've gotta have rules and they gotta keep score! Calvinball is better by far! It's never the same! It's always bizarre! You don't need a team or a referee! You know that it's great, 'cause it's named after me!) and "I'm Sorry I Took Your Flag"
    Burlap Sacks
    Water Balloons
    Burgalar Masks (nobody questions the masks.)
    Rocking Horse
    Flags
    Poetry
    Soccer Ball
    The "Bonus Box" (unseen)
    Signs
    Dance Moves

...Am I missing anything?

6. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Calvin and Hobbes helped me build the vocabulary that I have today. I kept all of my anthologies, and now I read them with my son.
    I would be hard pressed to pick a single strip, but I guess the Mutant Killer Snow goons story was the one I liked most. It made me really jealous because I lived in an area where it doesn't snow.

[​IMG]

7. Dufresne

Dufresne
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

The Snow Goons book is a good example of the fact that even the titles of Calvin and Hobbes books were hilarious. I remember when I received Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat as a Christmas present, I burst out laughing before I even opened the book.

8. jacobv81

jacobv81
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Thanks for this thread, I used to love reading the collections my older siblings had around the house so many years ago. There was one collection I saw at a supermarket or bookstore and never saw again I hope someone can name for me. It was like a 10 year anniversary collection, and under a lot of the strips, Bill Watterson would talk about his inspiration for that particular strip or a deeper meaning the strip was meant to convey. I would love to get that book if someone could point me toward it.

Thanks a lot

9. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How about "Something Under the Bed Is Drooling"...?

Loved it.

10. Facepalm

Facepalm
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Hands down, the greatest comic strip ever. The series about the baby raccoon always got to me as a kid.

11. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here's something to put on your next Christmas list or ask for your next birthday: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Calvin-Hobbes-v/dp/0740748475" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Calvin-H ... 0740748475</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_and_Hobbes#Calvinball" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_and ... Calvinball</a>

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That IS the 10th Anniversay addition, it came out just before the final book. It is a must-have, but Watterson talks in it as if he's going to continue doing the strip and he retired 6 months later without a care in the world (he paints nature landscapes now with his father). He talks about the battle to change the Sunday format, what each character is based on (Hobbes is after the philosopher, Susie his wife, etc.) and his discusses the entire evolution of the strip, but never explained his refusal of ANY strip merchandise whatsoever except calanders.

13. BrianH

BrianH
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

He did indeed explain that in the 10th Anniversary edition. His reasoning was simple: he didn't want to cheapen the product and compromise its authenticity by bombarding people with merchandise. Also, he knew that giving into merch meant the pressure would be even greater to create an animated television spin-off... which he was EXTREMELY against. In his mind, much of the magic of Calvin and Hobbes came from the reader coming up with the voices and movements themselves, and an animated series would force someone else's vision down their throats (ala Garfield or Peanuts).

I tend to agree.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It's better that way. I just hope that when he's dead they don't make a movie. That would cheapen even worse. Yhe reader draws his/her own versions.

15. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I always enjoyed these comics but never really grew up with them. In New Zealand we had another comic through the eyes of a farm dog which was up there along next to this one as my favourite. As per the previous posts it frustrates me when a lot of these things are made into movies or cartoons, I'm a firm believer in reading something before it comes out in the movies then you can still have your own visions of what should and shouldn't be. You do it the other way around and everything is spoilt for good.

16. LucasJackson

LucasJackson
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

As someone in opposition of materialism and mass merchandising in general, it is as refreshing as ever to understand Watterson's theories behind keeping the art simple, and keeping it always about the art. We don't get that hardly enough these days, but someone like Watterson comes along every so often and you can't help but give a sigh of relief.

Out of a minor relation, it is why I will never, ever consider the US version of The Office superior to the UK version; the UK kept it short and simple after two seasons, the US version is a money train that measures its success on the length of its run.

Moving on, I can't find my favorite strip from this series, but it is hands down the one where Calvin pelts Susie with a snowball, she storms at him with her face red and fists clenched, while Calvin is standing next to a wheelbarrow full of snowballs and goes, "Circumstantial evidence! That's all you've got!!!"

The last strip has him buried in the ground in the snow, going, "You can't get a fair trial in this town."

Brilliant.

17. atcmh

atcmh
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

My favorite strips were any of the putting Calvin and Susie voices in more grownup versions of themselves. My personal favorite being the one were they are playing doctor and Calvin gives his prescription to Susie:

[​IMG]

I think it's time to update my signature.

18. The Beer Baron

The Beer Baron
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Scientific Progress Goes "Boink" was the best title, followed closely by Revenge Of The Baby-sat.