Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2023 Oscars

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Rush-O-Matic, Jan 24, 2023.

1. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I enjoy some of the absurdity. One of the scenes that stands out to me is:
    when they are all getting sick at the dining scene and the crew is still presenting the meals as if everything is totally normal and not completely melting down

I can see why it’s not for everyone though.

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For sure, that scene was absurd and funny. It reminded me a bit of the
    pie-eating contest scene in Stand By Me, where everyone starts puking. I also think the crew was continuing to serve, not as if everything is normal, but because that gives them the upper hand, switching from servants to masters.

3. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Another film with a nomination checked off: Empire Of Light. Roger Deakins for Cinematography.

And, wow. I've seen the other films nominated in that category. It's not even close, imo. Part of that is Sam Mendes, certainly, but it's just miles better. I've watched a bunch of movies over the past month or so, and I keep trying to adjust my TV. Is the bulb burning out? Why can't I see? Am I supposed to know what they're looking at? They're awful. And, then this is an absolute revelation.

I'm sure during the Oscars, as they announce the nominees, they'll show the rooftop fireworks scene as they say Deakins' name.

I enjoyed the film itself, too. Fairly unique story, and terrific work from Olivia Colman (again).