Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2022 NFL Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Evolution, Sep 7, 2022.

1. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He will stay retired. No one is going to get him for a one year run. He is only going to a contender.

2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

as much as I want to say the cowboys shut him down, the dude is just done. And I think he saw the tape and realized that himself as well.. He's not coming back.

3. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

5. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Watching Damar Hamlin accept the Alan Page Community award for his Chasing M's foundation was pure joy. What a great story!

7. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Watching Josh McDaniels destroy yet another teams roster is insane.

8. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

At a certain point you just have to laugh at the owners that keep giving him chances.

The NFL is so rife with nepotism and re-treads that it's hard for me to even spare a moment of sympathy for a team that is willing to hire a guy who keeps failing. McDaniels wrecked the Broncos roster, then screwed over the Colts. Shocking that he's currently making shitty choices for the Raiders.

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

I'm sorry I can't hear you over the sound of JIMMY G BEING BEAUTIFUL

10. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Odds are you'll get to watch his beautiful ass on the sideline half the year.

11. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

12. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Whooo boy. I'm having fucking flashbacks to Favre days. The rumors...the Jets, again.

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

gotta Love it

14. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

There is a world in which Rodgers reports to GB training camp. GB wants a 2nd this year, a 1st next year, and is willing to negotiate some kind of asset return in the event rodgers retires after this season. Jets are still like "nope, too rich for us."

I would LOVE to see him return to GB after Love has already been declared the starter. I'm here for the chaos. @shegirl what say you?

15. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Green Bay can't possibly do anything but trade him, can they?

If he comes back and Green Bay starts him, they basically need to just release Love and chalk it up to a wasted pick. If he comes back and sits, and Love is anything but an MVP candidate, the entire fan base will be screaming for Rodgers to start - not to mention a $50m player on the sidelines.

I can't see a way for Green Bay to move forward with both Rodgers and Love.

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

I’m sure there are a lot of highly paid lawyers working on this very topic this very moment.

zero chance they start him. Zero chance he sees field even. Do they just send him home? Can they suspend him without pay for conduct detrimental to the team?

we might be about to find out

17. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Almost certainly not, in my opinion. I'd bet a lot of money that they have no effective out without a trade.

They can send him home but they still owe him a paycheck.

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

I would bet they want this situation cleared up before the draft, and the jets know it. GB has several possible outcomes, none of them favorable. I have a strong belief that they end up settling for pennies, taking a 2nd round pick and having to offer an asset return (like a 4th rounder) if he retires after one year. If he is there by training camp, I bet they tell him to stay away from the team and they won't drag him in the press as long as he shuts the hell up in the press as well.

That being said, I am rooting for chaos. The idea of one the personification of the phrase "you're just the worst" being a QB for a NY team makes me rock hard. Him having to go back to Green Bay, to a media market that has been so friendly to him for his entire career and feels like a cheated-upon ex, gives me excitement goosebumps. Only people I feel bad for here are Green Bay fans. Love the fans, love the team, just hate rodgers with a passion normally reserved for people I know in person.

19. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The whole situation is ridiculous. I think Green Bay's front office got greedy; they should have traded him earlier in the offseason. Maybe there really was no great offer on the table or Rodgers put the kibosh on something, but I have to believe a QB-needy team would have coughed up an unconditional first round pick for the reigning MVP. The longer this gets dragged out, the less leverage Green Bay has; teams have already made free agency moves, and are already trading draft position.

Also it didn't get posted here, but the Browns converted Watson's salary into a signing bonus, which means $50m got pushed into future years. They will owe him something like $65m guaranteed next year. Pretty much half the salary cap. The best possible storyline in the NFL is Watson continuing to be mediocre, the Browns having no out and crushing their salary cap to pay him, and not having decent draft assets to adjust for that. I always liked the Browns but now I am actively cheering for them to wallow in shit for the next decade.

20. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dude isn't the reigning MVP, he's a front office nightmare and locker room toxic. Rodgers might as well be the Dr. House of football, with all of the baggage that implies.

The asking price of two first rounders for a player that could retire at any given moment with all of Rodger's baggage is kind of steep. I can't imagine some draft day deal gets done, because Rodgers would have to approve it, and there'd be no time.

It either happens before the draft, in which case this years picks are part of the deal, or after in which case 2 first-rounders in 2024 and 2025 might not be outside the realm of possibility. If I'm the Jets, I want the latter. The Pack have no leverage, because no way does Rodgers take the field with GB this year. The Pack have the nuclear option of not accepting any trade capital at all, but Rodgers could retire, or demand to be cut, etc. I think it happens after the draft, with the Jets taking a calculated risk on a backup plan.