Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2021 MLB

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by NatCH, Nov 6, 2020.

1. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Yeah that one left me shaking my head. 0.82 ERA traded for a 37 year old with a 7+ ERA and a bat that can't seem to figure out big league pitching. Great move.

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Astros at Dodgers. Hopefully the second worst fans in baseball will give an absolute horror show outing to the worst franchise in sports.

Please. Give Jomboy LOTS of material, for our sakes.

3. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Who knows if they can keep it up, but the Braves have been struggling to get to .500 all season. Now they're 8-2 in their last 10 and in a tie for first place in the East. Wow.

Oof, they don't have a closer.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Anybody catch the Field Of Dreams game? What an awesome idea and stadium for an annual game.

The White Sox beat the Yankees with a walk off in the best 9th inning you’ll ever see in a game. Who was the first White Sox player to do that? Shoeless Joe:

….the aesthetics alone for the game are just plain amazing.

#164 Crown Royal, Aug 13, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  5. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes, that was fun to watch. FOX had so much sappy, over scripted bull shit in the beginning I nearly turned it off, but it really is a cool idea.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I think it’s a great new alternate cousin to the “Outdoor Classic” that the NHL puts on every year.

7. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That is the exact analogy I used when describing it to someone else.

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Chris Davis retired, as if anybody fucking cares besides the Orioles accountants. There’s nothing like signing a $171 million deal and then deciding to stop putting in effort. Worst hitting steak EVER. In 2028 he bats for the worst single-season batting average in the HISTORY of the MLB.

A farewell to baseball’s biggest waste of money since the Bonilla deal. He probably had another five years to play, that is if he felt like it.

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The D-backs needed this. AAA call-up throws a no-no in his first start:

#169 Crown Royal, Aug 16, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
  10. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

11. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Baseball has proven to have difficulty competing with other major sports, primarily because of how it’s marketed and the regional nature of the broadcasting. One of the big things this sport had going for it was tradition and continuity of basic rules. Rather than fix what is wrong with it, MLB has now, with rule changes etc, elected to trash what made it special. It’s sad really.

12. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Yep. Baseball is flushing so much tradition down the toilet I'm quickly losing interest.

I don't buy new cards, but the thought of no Topps cards is disturbing. They've been making MLB licensed cards for 71 seasons and for many years were pretty much the only game in town.

13. kilo

kilo
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I got some baseball cards from the early 90's that could be valuable. Notably the Frank Thomas no name on front, albeit not in great condition. What is the best way to cash in on the higher prices? Should I get them graded?

14. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

With a Thomas NNOF I would definitely have it graded, there's a lot of fakes out there. I recently sold about $30K in cards from T206-1973 and the PSA graded pulled much higher prices at auction than similar condition non-graded.

Also, to realize the best value, have them graded by PSA. They're no better or worse than any other company (Except the Beckett BCCG service, that will actually lower your cards value), but people pay higher for the PSA label.

15. kilo

kilo
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I heard there was a backlog with PSA. Like they are not taking new orders or it takes 10 months to have your cards returned.

Once they are graded should I throw them on EBAY? What auction do you use?

16. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I saw PSA's wait time and their new pricing and just auctioned off my non graded cards instead of getting them graded. I left a lot of money on the table, but oh well.

I sent my cards off to Rick Probstein to list on e-bay. He tends to get more eyes and a better price out of his auctions, his rates were reasonable and he was quick to pay. He was real slow to list my non-graded....like 2 months after he received them. I also had a problem with missing cards in two of the lots I sent him and he doesn't really answer e-mails or calls...I ended up just writing off a couple hundred dollars worth of cards that just disappeared.

I have some complete sets (1961 and 1962 Topps) that I was going to send off to him while the market is up, but the missing cards, the wait time, and his lack of communication kind of left me flat.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Tonight we’re going to a A-ball game at Labatt Park. Oldest professional baseball park in the world and voted Best Baseball Park In Canada.

Original construction cost: $2000 in 1876.

18. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

19. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I played baseball through my senior year in high school, and I've been watching most of my 52 years of life. I have never seen a batter called out on a ball not put in play, ever. Braves - Dodgers. Braves have a runner on first (Albies) and Jorge Soler is batting. Albies steals, Soler swings and misses (for strike 2). His back swing bumps the catcher, who is standing to throw to second. In addition, Soler's momentum carries him out partially blocking the plate. The throw is wild into center. Umpire immediately calls interference on Soler.

So, the way I have always understood, that means Albies would have to go back to first. Well, he does, but Soler is called out, even though just 2 strikes. Weird. I've never seen that.

20. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The game has changed.