Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2021 MLB

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by NatCH, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That was one of the worst calls I’ve ever seen. Not that they need any help losing. The Yanks look awful at the plate, on the basepaths and in the field. If their starting pitching wasn’t better than expected they’d be done already.

2. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Mired in an 0-39 slump and batting under .100, the M's finally sent Kelenic back down. I just hope they didn't destroy the kid's confidence with this trial. The kid was completely over matched by big league pitching.

3. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

I know how lucky I am getting to see Ohtani play every day, but for those of you who don't: He just keeps getting better. I don't think I've seen him hit a cheap HR, they're all monster, towering shots. Probably most have missed this, but right now he's tied for the MLB lead in XBH, and I'm sure most don't realize he's also got 9 SB. He's probably the fastest big man I've ever seen. And let's not forget he's also a #1 pitcher on top of being one of the top offensive players in the game. 2.85 ERA, 68 K in 47 IP. Amazing numbers.

And the best part is as he gains confidence and establishes himself in MLB, he's becoming more animated on the field. The kid is out there having fun and that is so refreshing to see, a ballplayer having fun out there every day.

4. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wish I got to see more of him, just like Mike Trout.

5. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

6. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I want inter league gone completely. It completely took both the thrill and the mystique out of the All-Star game AND the World Series. No longer is there genuine excitement and suspense of seeing two entirely separate leagues (with different rules) play against each other.

I don’t care to see the Blue Jays play Wrigley Field, unless it’s the finals. Bring back the old excitement.

#107 Crown Royal, Jun 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  8. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Shohei Ohtani is having a good year batting and pitching, and he's a really good player. But, I don't follow why this is such a buzzworthy thing. Half the MLB starting pitchers pitch and hit every game already.

9. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Are you confusing every start with every game?
    Because I don't know of another MLB pitcher who hits every game.

10. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I got that. I guess I was just thinking, it seemed to be reported as if it was some special novelty, when it happens in half the games every day.

No, I meant every game. But, I didn't phrase it clearly. Every game in a NL park a starting pitcher bats. So, not the same player every game, but the starting pitcher every NL game.

11. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well that is what makes it a special novelty.
    He not only is an excellent starting pitcher. He is a good enough hitter that on days he isn't starting he DH's for them. That is unheard of in modern baseball. And roughly 80-90% of those NL starting pitchers that hit when they start are just guaranteed outs. Meanwhile Ohtani is tied for 3rd in MLB in homeruns. The guy he is tied with... Acuna Jr.

12. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh, he's an absolute beast, right now, and I hope he's stays healthy, because it's fun for baseball. As I stated in my first post, I'm not knocking Ohtani at all. He's crazy good.

13. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just got back from watching the Oakland A's and LA Angels. Ohtani in his second at bat hit a home run in which there was no doubt it was going out. As Toytoy said" He does not hit gimmies". That was impressive, but in his next at bat, Ohtani laid down a bunt toward third base and legged it out for a infield single to open up the inning. He then stole second base. I think Trout is still the best position player in baseball, but Ohtani probably is the most exciting at the moment. If you get a chance to see him, do it.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

115 mph exit velocity on that dinger. Giancarlo averages 99 mph.

15. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Ohtani's HR last night was a bit different for him. A line drive, exit velocity 114.8, it got out in 3.4 seconds. That thing could've taken someone's head off. And the hell of it is, he makes it look so damn easy. That kid has some powerful wrists, I've seen him flick his wrists and hit it out over the left field wall. Amazing.

Also, he was the first one to confirm for the HR derby. That ought to be fun.

16. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jomboy’s Instagram feed is gold tonight. Pitchers from all over the league reacting to the substance checks. Scherzer staring down Girardi, who then challenges Max to a fight. Sergio Romo on the A’s flinging his belt toward the ump and dropping trou.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Girardi is a fucking bitch and I wish Max threw it at his face. I hope he gets monstrous backlash for that bullshit.

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Girardi was actually "challenging" Kevin Long to a fight, which makes it funnier that NOT having any substance and just pwning the Phillies batters got Girardi so riled up that he tried to save face by going little league parent on Kevin Long.

The Ump rubbing Max's hair was gold.

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It’s pathetic. I hope the pitchers make as big a deal as possible over this, and embarrass the league and its officials at every opportunity.

And Girardi has the sportsmanship of a spoiled 6-year-old girl. I hope this crybaby display follows him.

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

…in the meantime, Wander Franco had a legendary first MLB game:

….he was born in 2001, by the way. My god we are ancient.