Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2021 MLB

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by NatCH, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Good for the Braves. They’re probably going to win it all now.

2. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Do it.

DO IT.

Red Sox just fucking fell apart. It was like the ALCS perfectly mirrored their entire season. The team is to blame.

HOWEVER - postseason umpires should be selected by ACCURACY and not seniority. Laz Diaz was 96th in accuracy out of 99, and a shitty call on what would’ve been an inning-ending strike preceded the Red Sox collapse in Game 4.

3. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There should be an accuracy retention line, fall below it and go back to the minors. Make them work their way back up.

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Laz Diaz has been a terrible umpire for years. It is known. He used to do more Braves games, but I don't remember him doing any this year. Joe Simpson, Braves radio color man, cannot stand him and regularly talks about how terrible he is.

5. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hope so. For the first time in my life I’m a Braves fan.

6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If anybody wants a fun, make you smile thing, in place of other crappy news you may be getting, check this out.

Back story:
    Blooper is the Braves mascot. He was introduced a few years ago to replace a long line of relative boring ones like Homer. He was laughed at, mocked for being a dumb name, and scoffed as being a Philly Fanatic ripoff.

Now, the Fanatic is still better, but Blooper has been great this year. Terrific Twitter wars (don't know if it's the guy in the suit or the Braves PR department) with other teams and media. Costumes and other hilarious pregame antics (he's dressed as The Mandalorian, David Rose from Schitt's Creek, Dr. Disrespect, and on and on), making fun of other teams, silly post-game celebrations are all part of his thing.

But, in the last week or so, somehow Stone Duvall, outfielder Adam Duvall's very young son, has somehow fallen in love with him like a puppy. There have been a bunch of cute pictures and video of the two of them interacting, but this one is so good. The Braves had just defeated the Dodgers to advance to the World Series, and the players and families are on field celebrating.

https://twitter.com/Barstool_ATL/status/1452456109462142977?t=BwHgpeSDmGaLAAeLBeTWuw&s=19

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Let's fucking gooooooo!

I realize the Astros are heavily favored, and the Braves probably won't win, but I'm so excited. This team is fun. Go Braves!

8. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll be happy if they just don't get swept. And if the Braves actually win? Holy hell, will I be that obnoxious sports guy.

9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Almost game time. Hyyyyyyyype.

Unfortunately, it's on Fox. I've been enjoying the TBS broadcast for the NL games so I didn't have to hear Joe Buck. Alas.

10. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Admittedly, I am not a huge sports fan but my brother typically has sports on all the time and he too hates Joe Buck. Why the hate for him? I'll catch a game here and there and don't mind him.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The guy is WAY funnier when he's not on family-friendly TV. He's fucking hilarious on Brockmire.

12. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He’s a mediocre announcer at best, with inane comments about mundane things. He’s already mis-speaking as I watch tonight. But he was funny as hell on Brockmire.

Also - it’s amazing to me that d’arnaud is on a World Series team, having watched his ineptitude up close when he was with the Mets.

But then again, they’re the Mets, so . . .

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Treating incredible and classic sports moments like he’s ordering a glass of water is a great starter reason to hate him. “Too lazy to speak” is a great way to describe his style of commentating. Unless, of course, the Cardinals are in the World Series.

Just imagine being blind, and having to rely on that tool for actual play-by-play. Then you’ll see why he’s disliked.

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This. And he does a thing where he's decided on a narrative - sometimes before the game, sometimes something happens - and it doesn't make a difference what's happening on the field. The umpire could undress behind home plate or the pitcher could walk 7 in a row, and hell or high water he's finishing what he's saying. And it may not have anything to do with the sport in front of him. If he's decided that player X is the story of the game, he will pry in with a crowbar to make the game playing out fit it into whatever pre-conceived story he's got to tell.

15. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Also known as "The Harry Caray School of Broadcasting"

Even Ryan Dempster noticed it:

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

HA! I used to play ball with Ryan way back in the late 80's when I lived in Gibsons, BC. At least for half a season, until he got signed and then had to take a ferry into Vancouver for pitching coaching a few times a week and wasn't allowed to play with us any more.

17. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    How cool! I always knew he was a character, but I'd never heard his Harry Caray before today, he was actually funnier than the comedian.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah... even in our beer league baseball he was otherworldly. And crazy funny.

19. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Good grief, I'd forgotten how stressful it is to have a team in the World Series.

20. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Good game from the Bravos. Now let's see how they do in the next two ArmBarn games.