Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2020 Hurricane Season

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Cameron, LA is about to get fucked hard.

2. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Here you go, live stream:

3. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, so much for sleep. Waiting on coffee to happen before going into the office.

Weirdly not much to report yet, other than Louisiana is getting hit harder than Texas right now.

The factor that will determine the quality of my life for the next month or so is how bad Harris County (Houston) gets hit.

I hope y'all are safe.

One thing I can ask for: if y'all see/find local feeds, sources of info or stuff that isn't CNN, please share it here. The critical difference right now is information, and the more eyes and ears we have looking for stuff the better.

Specifically, places where the locals are overwhelmed, or where a jurisdiction is doing something for survivors. That info may not make it's way up, unfortunately.

And ANYTHING to do with the intersection of Laura and COVID-19 will be valuable. The last thing we want to do is put people at higher risk.

#23 downndirty, Aug 27, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  4. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Houston seems to have mostly been spared. At least in my neck of the woods. We got lucky this time.

5. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thanks. Thank God.

I am seeing LA got the worst of it, with just some power outages in TX counties that border LA.

Best we could hope for: Laura threading the needle between Nola and Houston.

Still not over, but the worry of 4m people being in the path is one I am happy to retire.

6. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Lake Charles area got pummeled and the eastern border of Texas has some downed trees and power outages. But Louisiana seems to have gotten the worst.

7. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Shreveport is saying their shelters (hotels) are filling up and almost at capacity. The
    Shelters is gonna be the biggest issue I think. A lot of people lost their homes to this, and they now not only need a roof over their heads and food in their stomachs, but also PPE and distancing.

8. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Texas is basically telling the feds they don't need the help, which I couldn't be happier with. We may be heading to Arkansas (a state that simply doesn't get a lot of hurricanes, being all landlocked and all) or Louisiana.

The chemical plant fire is a significant issue, as is the use of the phrase "unsurvivable" before an event happens. The rhetoric makes me realize "nope, not just politics".

Right now, we're on the tail end of 4 13 hour days, and I'm elated that tonight I am not worried about waking up to a death toll in the morning.

We're basically on a 72 hour rotation of "and then there's another formation we monitor".

Long way to go to Halloween, kids.

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Have you seen the pictures out of Beaumont? They're showing an overhead from a helicopter right now on TWC. Looks like an F5 went through there.

I don't know anyone there so not my problem, but damn. If I was in a disaster relief position, I wouldn't be telling anyone I don't need help just looking at that.

10. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That maybe, but they aren't asking us for shit. I will certainly check it out, because that may change their tune.

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

holy shit y'all. Weather Channel now showing helicopter video from SW Louisiana. Everything is just... gone. Anyone in those houses, like they aren't even houses anymore. Just some debris next to a foundation. There's gonna be entire communities that no longer exist.

12. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Drove around lake Charles. No Bueno.

Snapped lots of pics of damage sites, gas and power shortages, nothing is up and running yet.

We are on "collapse" shifts meaning a 12 hour, 7 day a week minimum. I had an 11 hour drive. And they asked if I was coming in or going to.the hotel.

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

And there's two more strong systems coming across the Atlantic. The images I'm seeing out of Lake Charles, that area is gonna need a full re-build if they can even return.

14. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fertitta better step the fuck up and help that town out.

15. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One thing that keeps coming up is generators.

A medalist in the bad idea Olympics is using FEMA money to give homeowners their own generator. That will cause a fuel issue, for some areas an air quality issue, and is an environmental nightmare, not to mention the hellscape of keeping the generators themselves running (I can promise you there will be people who demand four of them, because they burned three up).

It's almost preferable to do small solar installations, but that cuts into the utility company's business, and they will lose their absolute shit. They have gotten federal officers kicked off disasters for that type of suggestion, and in LA where oil money is so important, it's dangerous.

One thing that needs re-thinking is environmental compliance. Disasters are sustainability nightmares anyway, but here the folks from the EPA are practically lepers, and the state gets genuinely angry about their involvement. Turn on a tap in Baton Rouge, marvel at the smell of sour used condoms burning and see how that's working for everyone, but from a solving problems standpoint: they aren't equipped to help, and that's something that needs to get addressed.

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

A coworker and I were wondering aloud yesterday why insurance companies are either incentivized to not provide insurance, or to make it prohibitively expensive, for people who do things that are actively against the survivability of themselves and their community — things like building in and destroying the marshlands and mangrove swamps that act as a natural mitigation toward hurricanes.

maybe that’s either a dumb solution, or simply impractical, but from my uneducated perspective I see people building closer and closer to fire and wondering why they’re getting burned.

17. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm pretty sure they do this, though I've never owned a home on the coast.

I know for boats if you got caught by a named storm basically between Trinidad and Virginia, your insurance doesn't cover the loss. You could provide a hurricane plan to the insurance company, like haul the boat out, remove mast and anchor to the ground in a custom cradle. If you followed that plan to the letter, they would pay out.

18. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Iota is a Category 5, hitting Central America.

I was in Honduras in 2008 and saw aftermath of Hurricane Mitch (1998).

This is going to be awful.

If yall know of anyone down there, do what you can to get the safe. Start donating, because between this and Covid, that part of the world is going to be really fucked up..

19. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They just got smashed by Eta two weeks ago? Have those waters even receded yet?

20. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You know, in early October 2013 I was on a 40' boat between Norfolk, VA and St Martin, I good month before hurricane season is typically considered over. I think we left on the 6th of October. I haven't been looking at Windy or passageweather, but I bet cruisers that have been, this year has driven them bonkers. Of course I don't even know if people are able to travel by small boat to any other countries because of Covid.