Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2018 NFL OFFSEASON

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by shegirl, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't believe Lamar Jackson continues to free fall.

2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Patriots pick him up watch. Like I said before, people think there needs to be a system designed around him but there doesn't. Dude is gifted, and a hell of a passer just didn't have good targets. He'll fit in a system.

Of course, if he was white, none of this would have mattered.....

#22 Revengeofthenerds, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  3. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, those two things are contradictory, but yeah.

4. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nobody has shown any ability to select a franchise QB in any round. This "ability" does not exist. Every team takes a guess, and hopes they hit, and more often than not every team misses. In any event, they've drafted 3 first round QBs in 18 years, there's not exactly some statistically significant number here.

Also there's an entirely new front office, so I'm not sure what relevance past drafts have.

Also, I completely disagree that Mayfield was guaranteed to be there at 4. The Giants could have used a QB, and the Jets did take a QB. If either of those teams loved Mayfield, or if any other team on the board loved him enough to trade with the Giants, he could easily have been gone. You don't want to over-draft players too much, of course, but Cleveland absolutely had to land their best shot at a QB, and 4 freaking QBs went in the top-10. There's no reason to think Mayfield couldn't have gone at any time.

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

In other news, the browns just nailed their first two selections of rd 2.

Should be an interesting team next year. Chubb runs like he stole something.

6. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Leave it to the Seachickens to draft Griffin and the feel good story of the year. GOD DAMMIT!

Don't get me wrong, I may have teared up. Then they replayed the story, more tears.

When the SO yelled to me, "They took him! They took him!" For one sweet, sweet moment I thought he meant the Packers did....yeah, no. I'd been watching and waiting to see who took him. I was kind of surprised he went so long. But, then he went, to them.

7. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

With his brother. To a team that knows how to utilize his considerable skillset.

He has the chance to grow into a beast on that D. Hell, both the brothers do.

8. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Yeah, yeah. I know all of that. Makes it even better. Shut up.

Oh how I hate them. HATE them and now even more. Them being the team not the brothers, for the dense ones out there.

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, because y'all's draft haul was SO HORRIBLE and all!! Jaire Alexander is gonna be a star in the league. And those receivers should really open things up for Jordy Ne-...... oh, uhhhhh.... nevermind.

Watch the play at 0:42. That should put a smile on your face.

10. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was pretty happy with packers' draft. Hit the spots they needed. I really don't know what to predict for next year. Even with Rodgers back I don't know that they can be a true contender. They're still just not a very good team top to bottom.

Was anybody else surprised to see Lamar Jackson go in the first round? For one, Flacco is only 33, are they really considering benching him in the near future? I don't think it's a bad idea, I would just be really surprised see them do it. I'm more surprised though because Jackson just reeks of the sort of player who killed it in college and is going to be a disaster in the NFL.

In my philosophy its just a really bad idea to burn a first round pick on someone you aren't sure you want to start. Maybe management is fairly sure the Flacco era is over, in which case the pick makes a lot more sense (although I still think Jackson will never make a good QB) but I don't think that's the case.

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Everyone said Mayfield was the love-him-or-hate-him guy, but I think that's Lamar. You either think he's gonna be incredible, or you think he was a waste of a pick. There's arguments on both sides. But I'm of the belief he should have gone higher (like to Denver or the Pats), rather than lower. Dude has an arm. He has the smarts. Of course he has the obvious ability to get away from tackles and create plays on his own. But when he runs, he knows how to avoid contact and preserve himself a little, unlike RG3.

I think so many people were blinded by Jackson's 0-60 time -- which lets be honest, is a more accurate test than his 40 yard dash -- that they focused on that at the expense of the rest of his game.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: 5 years from now, when we look back at the best QBs from this draft, it'll be Mayfield 1, Jackson 2. Then a wide margin.

12. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He does. Against college players. That shit isn't going to work in the NFL. If he tries to play like he did in college he's going to be a bust, big time. We'll see. I think he's the second coming of Vince Young.

Who knows though? Maybe he'll be great, but that's not my biggest issue with the ravens' pick. You just don't draft people that early to find out later on if you like them better than the guy starting now. On average you get one first round pick a year. Teams can't afford to spend them on players they might not even decide to start. Apparently most of the media loved the pick, but I think it failed at the most basic level of decision making that goes into deciding who you want to draft.

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

You've seen Flacco play right?

He makes me disappointed every time I watch him, and I'm not even a Ravens fan.

14. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

@Kampf Trinker Flacco is not a great quarterback, and the value attached to having a starting quarterback on a rookie paycheck is worth an ungodly amount given the current "mediocre" quarterback deals.

The 32nd pick in the draft gets (according to 2017 numbers) $8 million over 4 years. If you get moderate production out of that, you literally have $15-20 million in extra cap space. It's basically how the Seahawks went to back-to-back Superbowls; they had a quarterback performing like a star and earning less than $1m/year. They didn't have to make any hard choices on defense or depth - they could sign everyone.

15. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know guys, I think he sucks. My opinion on it though is I don't know if the ravens are sure they actually want to start Jackson, and I'm just not in favor of first round picks(even a QB) if you're not sure he's going to be the guy, or at least get serious playing time before you decide if he's going to fill those shoes. I just see a scenario that easily happens where Flacco puts up a mid 80s-low 90s QB rating and they hold onto him. Maybe they already have decided and I'm just misreading situation. The decision to draft Jackson speaks somewhat about their thinking, at the least.

16. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was gonna put this in Dead Pool, but it's football. Dwight Clark of "The Catch" died.

This video keeps popping up on Twitter and other feeds. The thing that sticks out to me? There are three Cowboys in Montana's face. He sort of falls after the fade-away throw. If that were today, one of those dudes, if not all, would've flatten him. So much so, that they've implemented QB protection rules that make a lot of people mad. What am I watching? Why do those guys just wave at him, instead of absolutely pounding him? They were well within the tolerance to hit him by today's standards.

ETA: Well, that video won't play here - you'll have to click.

And, here's another thing: In this video,

what the heck is #24 for the Cowboys doing, just waving at Clark? This shot is as Clark's foot is coming down from the catch, and he's ALL alone. WTF

upload_2018-6-5_9-55-21.png
    ETA2: Well, dammit, that video won't link either.

#36 Rush-O-Matic, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  17. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

*sniffsniff* Can you smell that? It's getting close. Thank god.

Nice to see starting inside LB Jake Ryan tore his ACL the other day, god dammit. Things are starting off with a bang!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.