Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2018 MLB

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Trakiel, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

2. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

3. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

per Yahoo
    I'm only interested because he's on my Fantasy team . . .

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Crazy. The Braves won their 84th game today. They are limping into the final weeks with duct tape and baling wire because of their imploding bullpen (Throw a goddam strike!), but I can't believe how well they've done this year.

5. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, the Red Sox are sitting at a magic number of 2, over the Yankees. They've failed to clinch the division in the last two games, and tonight they play the final game of a series against the Yankees, in Yankee stadium.

As much as the fan base doesn't seem to agree, I dig Alex Cora's managerial style. He's resting players, he's not concerned about breaking season records - unless they absolutely implode and not win a single game from now until the postseason, the Sox take the AL East. So he's getting a good look at every player to make the best calls he can for the postseason roster.

Yes, the bullpen is the weak spot. Joe Kelly does not have great stuff anymore. Pomeranz is giving maximum suckage. But Eovaldi has been solid as a starter, and he'll most likely be the long reliever in the playoffs.

I'm really rooting for the A's though. I'd like the Sox to keep winning to force New York to play the WC game in Oakland.

6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They don't have the bullpen to outlast the bats from Boston or Houston or probably NYY, but, wow, the Braves won the East and are the first NL team to clinch a playoff spot. I was not expecting to say that this year . . . and neither was anyone else. As recently as Aug 5, Braves still only 37% chance to win. Crazy.

upload_2018-9-22_18-5-38.png

7. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Oak land Athletics will be playing a wild card game against the Yankees on October third. First time in the playoffs in four years.

8. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’m glad that Cora is putting emphasis on rest for the Red Sox, but I’d really like to see them help the A’s get home field for that game.

9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Cool website:
    https://www.playoffmagic.com/mlb/league/

I am hoping the Braves end up #2 so I can go to the first home playoff game on my birthday, but I am also delighted that the Cardinals are now out of the playoffs if the season ended today.

10. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Two tiebreaker games today in the NL. I'd like to see the Brewers and Rockies advance, just because they're the teams that haven't been in the postseason as much lately. But I really don't care either way.

As for the Red Sox, I don't know who I'd rather see them face, A's or Yankees. I just hope that Cora's strict resting of starting pitchers ends up working out.

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I say Cubs beat Brewers, Rockies beat Dodgers in the tiebreakers....Brewers knock out Dodgers in wildcard. That’s how it should be if God is watching. Send L.A. fans packing. Pricks.

12. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's clear that God is watching, since the Cardinals ball-sucked their way out of the playoffs in the last few weeks.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Sometimes a human being can achieve orgasm with anything touching them at all.
    Isn’t fun how we all hate the Cards on here? A real sense of togetherness.

As far as the NL playoffs are concerned it’s a toss-up. Any team has a chance of winning. Boston is winning the AL unless Oakland gets through. I think the A’s would beat the Sox.

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hated the Cardinals as soon as Jim Edmonds showed up on their team. He was a great player, but every time he dove for a ball, he'd lay down on the ground until he got some kind of acknowledgment or attention. Sometimes he'd wait until the trainer was halfway out, and then wave him off like he was being tough. Then, their idiot fans have just made me hate them more and more over the years.

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

They poisoned him. Edmonds always gets my love for making the Greatest Catch That Will Ever Be:

16. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

So I may or may not have been screaming “THE ONE TRUE GOD BE PRAISED, FUCK THE CARDINALS!” and making obscure Three Musketeers references while drinking yesterday.

My mentality is “The Cardinals are out, so I’ve already won something!”

17. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love that play. He was a fantastic in the field. I don't know if that was the greatest catch ever, but it was really, really good. Like this one:

My favorite part about Jones' catch, was that despite quickly getting it back in with a strong throw, Biggio is easily back at first . . . because he knew Jones would probably catch it. Watching Andruw Jones save so many runs with great catches was definitely one of my favorite parts of the Braves' 90's era winning.

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fucking hell, these commercial breaks are eternal during these playoff games.

19. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fuck. At least I do not have to watch baseball till the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers lose.

20. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, at least the Red Sox don’t have to worry about flying across the country. And Price starts Game 2, so he doesn’t have to pitch in New York. I like their chances.